Multi-IEM Review - 352 IEMs compared (Pump Audio Earphones added 04/03/16 p. 1106)
Jan 28, 2011 at 9:28 PM Post #1,966 of 16,931
hey jorker,  after spending sometime with turbine gold, i find they clearly is a big step up in all specs,  how come i find the turbine gold have less/similar bass in quantity than the m2?

they now have about 20 hrs burn in with bass heavy R&B and rap, mixed with few hours with brown, white, pink noise.  they have less impact than m2, quantity is about 5% less, some tracks 10% more than the m2.   is it possible that my m2 is not normal pair or the golds are defective?

they both have about 10-20% less bass in quantity compare to the portapro

do you have any thoughts about this situation? maybe i need an amp to drive the gold for it the reach the full potential?

Jan 28, 2011 at 11:55 PM Post #1,967 of 16,931
It's very likely that the M2 does indeed have more mid/upper-bass than the Gold since it has that hump below ~250 hz. It is also possible that you need to play around with the fit since the Monster earphones can be worn too shallowly. The Golds really aren't bass monsters but they do provide ample, linear, high quality bass with great extension. I'd give them some more time.

Jan 29, 2011 at 12:09 AM Post #1,968 of 16,931
i think im getting good fit , right now im using the second smallest gel super tip,  i fit them deep, the mid bass " feels " about same compare to the m2s now, i guess i will do some more 'brain burn' in then,  thanks for the response

Jan 29, 2011 at 1:54 AM Post #1,969 of 16,931
My PR401's arrived today.. all I can say is WOW.  I haven't been this impressed with a set of phones since getting the DBAs.  Real talk.

I've been listening to them for just a few hours.. and joker's review is spot ON, disturbingly spot on, in fact. I'm so impressed with how accurate his explanations and impressions are (at least when the phones he's reviews hit my ears):

--Terrific, balanced bass with excellent texture, presence, extension, and detail. NEVER bloated or leaking into the lower midrange, no annoying mid-bass hump whatsoever.  I love hearing bass this accurate and well mannered.

--The treble is simply incredible.. INCREDIBLE. I'm not sure how you can get such a crisp, defined, and extended treble with a wonderful sparkle without ANY sibilance.. but ECCI did it... in spades.  I really can't get over how rounded the treble is on these phones.. nothing phases them.  It's an absolute joy to listen to alone.

--The midrange is rendered really well for my tastes.  Tilted slightly to the cooler, more analytical side than the warmer side.  It's neither lush or dry.. just very neutral to my ears.. lovely.  The mids are recessed ever EVER so slightly.. but they don't sound recessed.. that obviously doesn't make sense but I think it has more to do my final point:

--If the above didn't impress you, the overall presentation of the entire range of frequencies is where these IEMs set themselves apart from the competition.  The way all the qualities of the bass, treble, and midrange blend seemingly perfectly with each other impresses me to no end.  Someone put some serious effort into tuning this phone to sound very VERY cohesive.. which I can't appreciate enough.

I'm a self-confessed iM-590 fanboy and was a little afraid the ECCI's would be too similar to them.. it's safe to say while these PR401's share some of the same qualities (accuracy, balance).. the ECCI is actually a pretty good complement.  The iM590's have a more lush slightly forward midrange, while the PR401's mids are slightly laid back and the overall presentation is airer with a better soundstage.  I'd say the 401's trump the Maximo's in treble extension and detail as well.

I didn't even get into other areas like the superb instrument separation, impressive soundstage, etc. cause well, I want to stop typing and go back to enjoying these phones!  Suffice to say, it's all there and I'm 110% satisfied.  Joker knocks ANOTHER one out of the park for this HFier!  Think I'll have to go over and pitch into the fund for buying him some customs.. the least I could do for all the work he's put in here and not to mention, all the money he's saved me by not having to sort through a bunch of other IEMs.

I hope more people get a chance to try the PR401s.. I guarantee you they'll impress and punch well above their weight/price range.  They most definitely deserve an appreciation thread.. which I might have to start!

Jan 29, 2011 at 3:35 AM Post #1,970 of 16,931
I am posting this to praise some excellent customer service and to unleash my excitement at my earphones order.

Following severalposts, mind changes and moans and groans from my bank balance, I went ahead and ordered my Head-Direct RE0's from AmpCity (direct, not via Amazon UK) for a grand total of £63.

Everything went through alright and I took an afternoon nap, only to be woken up by a pleasant gentleman at AmpCity. I apologise if I have incorrect spelled his name if he ever reads this but a spoke to Yousef from AmpCity who advised me that although the website showed that the RE0 was in stock, they had none available... but he had a solution!

A brief conversation ensued and as a gesture of goodwill, Yousef upgraded me to the RE-ZERO for free (was £10/$15 more expensive) and my order was shipped very shortly after. I should be the proud owner of a limited edition of earphones on Monday or Tuesday... perhaps today if the Royal Mail Gods are with me.

My thanks and appreciation goes out to AmpCity and Yousef for contacting me quickly when a problem arose and providing me with an acceptable (a darn good) solution which did not inconvenience me.

A display of customer service which is rare and deserving of praise.

Jan 29, 2011 at 6:45 AM Post #1,975 of 16,931
How does Yamaha EPH-50's bass compare with that of Turbine, Eterna, and Klipsch s4?
thanks

Jan 29, 2011 at 1:04 PM Post #1,976 of 16,931
RE-ZERO's arrived and loving them. My phone seems to be able to drive them well and despite the first half hour being rather disappointing (postman dropped them off as I was going out so I stuck them in and went out with them in) they are proving to be excellent earphone after some burn-in. I just left them playing music at around 60% volume for a couple of hours while I did other stuff.

My phone has been playing song after song and I am enjoying listening to each one of them in a new light. It is a true joy to listen to a song that you have cherihsed for years and realise that with my stock earphones that I was actually missing instruments or small sounds which had become blurred into the other sounds or swamped out by improper bass.

Dearly do I miss the bass punch of the other earphones I have used but I am happy with the bass produced by the RE-ZERO's. So far, they could do with a bit more punch/power in the bass department for my personal tastes. Honestly, the RE-ZERO's make it up to me in many more ways.

I do not find the sound to be lacking in life or vibrancy. Some songs have suffered in my ears compared to previous earphones but other tracks have taken on a new life altogether, conveying an intimacy I have not experienced thus far.

Downsides? Besides the bass, the extra connector I have to use. A very minor annoyance for a man using a portable player to have an extra little bit attached.

The seal: I cannot seem to get it just right in both ears yet with the stock bi-flanges. Going to give this a real go and see what I can do. Most probably user error but I have time and tips on my side

I think this classifies under bone conduction. I can feel/hear each footstep I take in my ears however during my 30 minute test this morning it probably wasn't an accurate representation for the earphones and I was in a rush so I was walking faster, planting my foot harder than I would normally.

First impressions: Impressed. Seriously impressed. A few minor niggles which will be ironed out or sorted out through use. Compared to my previous best earphone (V-Moda Vibes ~2007, Head-Fi recommendation which cost me ~£70), these earphones simply blow them out of the water.

(A non-audiophile review)

Jan 29, 2011 at 1:29 PM Post #1,977 of 16,931
Personally i wait for joker's review on the the clarity series cc51! the look awesome and very comfortable. I imagine their sound something like sunrise x-scape. If thats the the case then this will me my first above 50$ iem.

Jan 29, 2011 at 4:01 PM Post #1,978 of 16,931

Quote:
My PR401's arrived today.. all I can say is WOW.  I haven't been this impressed with a set of phones since getting the DBAs.  Real talk.

I've been listening to them for just a few hours.. and joker's review is spot ON, disturbingly spot on, in fact. I'm so impressed with how accurate his explanations and impressions are (at least when the phones he's reviews hit my ears):

[...]

I hope more people get a chance to try the PR401s.. I guarantee you they'll impress and punch well above their weight/price range.  They most definitely deserve an appreciation thread.. which I might have to start!

Wow, sounds like you like them even more than I do 
tongue_smile.gif
. I agree, they are absolutely fantastic for the money and I'm glad you hear them the way I do. Interesting thing about appreciation threads - haven't seen a whole lot of them for budget-level products lately. The Meelec M6, PL30, Klipsch S4, and ADDIEM all had them but none of the new (and much better) <$100 earphones do. I guess with so many great options on the market the number if owners of each 'thins out' and there's less appreciation to go around 
wink.gif

Quote:
I propose, (if you've gotten the pair you loaned out back), that the TF10s be bumped to the top of the queue!

Sorry, for now the JVC HA-FX700 has been moved to the top of the queue, since I have to give it back to its owner, as well as the Meelec SP51 and CC51 since I figured people may want to read about them while they're still on pre-order pricing. After that a few minor ones and then the TF10,

Quote:
How does Yamaha EPH-50's bass compare with that of Turbine, Eterna, and Klipsch s4?
thanks

It's a little flabbier than all of those but powerful and impactful. It's a 'raw' sort of sound, reminds me of the Rockford/Fosgate Punch Plugs. And yes, the $29.99 newegg price is a pretty good deal on those.

Quote:
RE-ZERO's arrived and loving them. My phone seems to be able to drive them well and despite the first half hour being rather disappointing (postman dropped them off as I was going out so I stuck them in and went out with them in) they are proving to be excellent earphone after some burn-in. I just left them playing music at around 60% volume for a couple of hours while I did other stuff.

[...]

The seal: I cannot seem to get it just right in both ears yet with the stock bi-flanges. Going to give this a real go and see what I can do. Most probably user error but I have time and tips on my side

I think this classifies under bone conduction. I can feel/hear each footstep I take in my ears however during my 30 minute test this morning it probably wasn't an accurate representation for the earphones and I was in a rush so I was walking faster, planting my foot harder than I would normally.

First impressions: Impressed. Seriously impressed. A few minor niggles which will be ironed out or sorted out through use. Compared to my previous best earphone (V-Moda Vibes ~2007, Head-Fi recommendation which cost me ~£70), these earphones simply blow them out of the water.

Glad that whole purchased worked out so well. At the same price I'll take the ZERO over the RE0 any day. Regarding fit, the Head-Direct bi-flanges simply don't work for some people. I feel that all of the included tips and whatever other tips you have (from the V-Modas, etc) are worth trying. Bone conduction is something you'll get used to - I don't even notice it anymore. Just to eliminate cable noise as a factor try wearing them over-the-ear and see if it gets any better.

Quote:
Personally i wait for joker's review on the the clarity series cc51! the look awesome and very comfortable. I imagine their sound something like sunrise x-scape. If thats the the case then this will me my first above 50$ iem.

Nope, not like the Xcape. More like a budget-minded Turbine Pro Gold - warm, smooth, and with an emphasis on the lower half of the frequency spectrum.

Jan 29, 2011 at 5:06 PM Post #1,979 of 16,931
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljokerl /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Glad that whole purchased worked out so well. At the same price I'll take the ZERO over the RE0 any day. Regarding fit, the Head-Direct bi-flanges simply don't work for some people. I feel that all of the included tips and whatever other tips you have (from the V-Modas, etc) are worth trying. Bone conduction is something you'll get used to - I don't even notice it anymore. Just to eliminate cable noise as a factor try wearing them over-the-ear and see if it gets any better.

It did, all thanks to you |joker|. A comprehensive review list backed with friendly help... A credit to the community.

Thanks has to go to AmpCity for their great support. Most companies would not have bothered to call me if I had ordered an item that was inadvertently out of stock.

The Bi-flanges are an oddity for me. My right ear is notoriously difficult to seal and fit properly but with the bi-flanges, I seem to get one ear right and the other one is wrong. Currently using Comply tips and they seem to be pretty awesome with their fit and comfort is insanely good but I don't think I'll be able to use them outside as the isolation seems to be terrible. Still have some V-Moda tips and old Sony tips to try as well as the others that come with the ZERO.

Ever since hearing about microphonics and bone conduction, I've been wearing IEM's over my ear... even if they were just sitting on my chest whilst laying back in bed. I only mentioned bone conduction as being an issue because I've not used IEM's for a couple of years and you're right, I'll need to build up my tolerance for it again.

Jan 29, 2011 at 7:24 PM Post #1,980 of 16,931

Quote:
Nope, not like the Xcape. More like a budget-minded Turbine Pro Gold - warm, smooth, and with an emphasis on the lower half of the frequency spectrum.

Hmm.. Then it sounds like a miss use of the "clarity series" logo. But i shouldnt judge by the sound signature and wait for more detailed reviews.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back