Multi-IEM Review - 352 IEMs compared (Pump Audio Earphones added 04/03/16 p. 1106)
Dec 9, 2010 at 8:52 PM Post #1,486 of 16,931

Quote:
Quote:
Thats true!! But i guess this is a disease in itself... At tha back of my mind I am also thinking what next!?? What would it be that would take me to the next level of enjoying great sound!! And would definitely require help from the experienced fellow members out here!!

If you find a cure, let me know
wink.gif
. There always seems to be a "next level" or "a different experience" available.

upgrade-itis...it happens to all of us

Dec 9, 2010 at 10:48 PM Post #1,490 of 16,931
Hey joker, thank you so much for all of your work. I wonder how many people have gotten into hi-fi because of you
bigsmile_face.gif
. Anyway, I have a question.

I was thinking about getting $100 headphones, but I'm not really sure if I want IEMs or full-sized. I was thinking about getting the M50s because I think I would like their sound and you gave them a 9/10 (higher than most of your reviews of the $100 IEMs). Then I wondered, is your rating for IEMs the same as full-sized? Thanks in advance.

Dec 10, 2010 at 2:15 AM Post #1,491 of 16,931
Quote:
Would you recommend the DBA-02s over the HD25s?

Depends on the use, I suppose. The HD25 is more fun with its bass impact and sharp treble while the DBA-02 is more accurate and natural-sounding. The HD25 also has the advantages of being nearly indestructible and not being an IEM (sometimes I need to wear cans so that people know I can't hear them).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magitek /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Hey joker, thank you so much for all of your work. I wonder how many people have gotten into hi-fi because of you
bigsmile_face.gif
. Anyway, I have a question.

I was thinking about getting $100 headphones, but I'm not really sure if I want IEMs or full-sized. I was thinking about getting the M50s because I think I would like their sound and you gave them a 9/10 (higher than most of your reviews of the $100 IEMs). Then I wondered, is your rating for IEMs the same as full-sized? Thanks in advance.

I did not actively think about correlation when developing the scoring rubrics for the two threads; however, there is a strong correlation and I would say that they are comparable to within around 0.5 pts in sq (does not apply to comfort, isolation, etc). I guess this question is another one for the FAQ since it comes up pretty often.

Dec 10, 2010 at 2:30 AM Post #1,492 of 16,931
ljokerl  thanks for your earlier reply!

I am new into this world of IEMs and I am having trouble deciding between the Phonak PFE, Westone 1 and UM1.... 

I need them to have good isolation (during work and commuting) and obviously good SQ as well. I listen to a wide range of music from electronic to classical and jazz, but most of my music collection is in mp3 (~320kbps) and I'm stuck with an IPod Touch for the time being...

What would your opinion be?

Dec 10, 2010 at 3:37 AM Post #1,493 of 16,931
Between the two I've heard (W1 and PFE) and with your preferences and the requirement for isolation in mind the Westone 1 wins by a margin, though I still think it's overpriced for what it offers in terms of sound. If you're willing to forego the wonderful Westone cable the Klipsch Custom 3 may be one to take a look at as well. There is nothing wrong with 320kbps - I rarely put lossless on my portable player to save space. I really can't tell the difference between 320 and FLAC/WMA on a portable player with any earphone (or at least any universal-fit earphone). 

Quote:
anchorman69 said:

I am new into this world of IEMs and I am having trouble deciding between the Phonak PFE, Westone 1 and UM1.... 

I need them to have good isolation (during work and commuting) and obviously good SQ as well. I listen to a wide range of music from electronic to classical and jazz, but most of my music collection is in mp3 (~320kbps) and I'm stuck with an IPod Touch for the time being...

Dec 10, 2010 at 5:42 PM Post #1,494 of 16,931
LjokerL, how would you compare the monster miles davis tributes to the westone 3's? I understand that I'm trying to compare a multiple BA based IEM with a single dynamic driver so I guess it's kinda like comparing fiji apples to granny smith (I assume that's the best comparison since full sized cans vs IEMs are apples to oranges) anywho, from your review the westone 3's are the bassiest of nearly if not all BA earphones and because of that, there is some slight loss in detail. Compared to the miles davis tributes, which would you say is the bassier (more slam/quantity) and which one has more detail etc etc, purdy much, what are the noticible differences between the two

thanks again!

james

Dec 10, 2010 at 11:54 PM Post #1,495 of 16,931
I went down to the store today to listen to these IEMs in person, and wow(!), those Westone cables are really so nice and practical! Pictures really don't do them justice!

I also think that the PFEs are a lot smoother in terms of SQ, but I agree that the Westone 1 will be more suitable for me. I had a look at the Klipsch Custom 3 as well but they are in a different price range from where I live so I won't consider them for now.

Thanks again!

Quote:
Between the two I've heard (W1 and PFE) and with your preferences and the requirement for isolation in mind the Westone 1 wins by a margin, though I still think it's overpriced for what it offers in terms of sound. If you're willing to forego the wonderful Westone cable the Klipsch Custom 3 may be one to take a look at as well. There is nothing wrong with 320kbps - I rarely put lossless on my portable player to save space. I really can't tell the difference between 320 and FLAC/WMA on a portable player with any earphone (or at least any universal-fit earphone). 

Quote:
anchorman69 said:

Dec 11, 2010 at 12:19 AM Post #1,497 of 16,931
Quote:
LjokerL, how would you compare the monster miles davis tributes to the westone 3's? I understand that I'm trying to compare a multiple BA based IEM with a single dynamic driver so I guess it's kinda like comparing fiji apples to granny smith (I assume that's the best comparison since full sized cans vs IEMs are apples to oranges) anywho, from your review the westone 3's are the bassiest of nearly if not all BA earphones and because of that, there is some slight loss in detail. Compared to the miles davis tributes, which would you say is the bassier (more slam/quantity) and which one has more detail etc etc, purdy much, what are the noticible differences between the two

I don't think the W3 suffers any loss in detail compared to the MD. Slam is similar between the two but the MDs still have that drawn-out attack/decay that makes them sound more full-bodied but also smoother. I would say that neither has the upper hand in bass clarity/detail but in the mids the thinner W3 has the thick and smooth MD beat on both counts. They are pretty different earphones on the whole so I guess it comes down to what you are after - lots of armature bass with more analytical mids and aggressive treble or a smoother, dynamic sound that's more coherent but arguably less revealing.

Dec 11, 2010 at 1:30 AM Post #1,498 of 16,931

Quote:
(sometimes I need to wear cans so that people know I can't hear them).

That's just brilliant.  Hadn't thought of that myself.  I think I'm to just the thing.....

Dec 11, 2010 at 5:49 PM Post #1,500 of 16,931

Quote:

Makes me want to pick up a pair out of curiosity and possibly to use for working out. I'm sure they would pair great with my Clip+ and make a nice little cheap workout package that if something happened to I would be out about $50 in total for the iems and source

Users who are viewing this thread

Back