Multi-IEM Review - 352 IEMs compared (Pump Audio Earphones added 04/03/16 p. 1106)
Mar 5, 2016 at 6:15 AM Post #16,531 of 16,931
iirc FXT90 = dual dynamic

Mar 5, 2016 at 11:40 AM Post #16,533 of 16,931
So, I have been away for a long time, maybe two years? (About 7k posts in this thread, anyway, hah). I am looking for a new pair of iems and I'm just wondering how much the landscape has changed since I was experimenting last. I had a pair of Atrio M5s (MG7) which I loved, also owned FXT90s. I especially loved the lush presentation of the FXT90s, the dual dynamic driver setup was amazing for the price point.

I was looking at another pair of them actually, but I figured I'm in a great position to experiment a bit right now. Budget is $100-$200us. So I was looking at: GR07, DBA-02 (/Brainwavz B2), HiFi RE400, ER-4S, RE272/262 R-50. I tend to prefer musicality and soundstage in my iems, I have no problem fussing with tips to get the right fit/isolation. I think that's part of why I loved the FXT90s so much, they had incredible dynamics for such a cheap option, and dual dynamic drivers, what the heck. I'm not super averse to a somewhat biased signature, but I was very attracted to something a bit more analytical, which is why so many options.

Anyways, the point of this is, have any new players come along that I should look into? I am happy to continue looking at all the old options I was considering years ago but I figure it's been a while, I'm sure something has changed since then! So glad this thread is still alive and joker is going strong :) love the new site and form by the way! It's amazing. The amount of content is unreal dude! You are a national head fi treasure.

The MEE Audio Pinnacle P1 has come along, and rate really well. I'm eyeing a pair on the MEE website right now...:cold_sweat:

Mar 6, 2016 at 4:53 AM Post #16,534 of 16,931
@joker

Would you be reviewing the Campfire Audio Jupiter's anytime, soon? It would be interesting to know how well they rate among the best in your list.
.....350, way to go!!!
beerchug.gif

Mar 6, 2016 at 7:52 PM Post #16,537 of 16,931
The MEE Audio Pinnacle P1 has come along, and rate really well. I'm eyeing a pair on the MEE website right now...:cold_sweat:

I have heard good things, but usually just people saying "I hear good things". Anyone actually heard them/compare to any of my iems of interest?

Mar 6, 2016 at 8:42 PM Post #16,539 of 16,931
I have heard good things, but usually just people saying "I hear good things". Anyone actually heard them/compare to any of my iems of interest?

Here's the thread:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/794787/mee-audio-pinnacle-p1-new-199-dynamic-driver-flagship/0_30

Mar 7, 2016 at 3:43 AM Post #16,540 of 16,931
Thanks, I read the entire thread, all 487 posts, believe it or not. Seems encouraging but then the only 2 full reviews here were paid for by MEE which is discouraging. That said, the P1 does seem to check just about all the boxes I'm looking for - maybe less fun and V shaped than my past but I was also considering ER4S for a while and maybe going more analytical, so it may be just what I want (lots of praise on the soundstage and separation which is a big plus).

Mar 7, 2016 at 12:46 PM Post #16,541 of 16,931
The P1s are the real deal. The reviews are legit. I echo them and paid full price (no one paid me anything, unfortunately). The ER4S are still something that everyone should own at some point. I'll never sell mine, but the P1s are really a game changer at $200. Quite surprising, actually. 

That said, both the ER4S and P1 require an amp to sound their best. They do well out of a phone, but I wouldn't buy them if that is how you will use them regularly. 

Mar 7, 2016 at 1:49 PM Post #16,542 of 16,931
Thanks, I read the entire thread, all 487 posts, believe it or not. Seems encouraging but then the only 2 full reviews here were paid for by MEE which is discouraging.

What a "nice" way to completely discredit those well-known and trusted reviewers, and their work. Being provided review samples does not immediately mean they are being paid off. What thread are you in right now? Do you really think all of those iems were purchased? Might as well just discount everything you read. *shrug*

Mar 7, 2016 at 5:35 PM Post #16,544 of 16,931
My beloved Xiaomi Piston 2's are starting to fall apart. i was wondering if anyone had a recommendation for a set of sub $50 IEMs with a similar sound signature?

Not sure if they have similar sound signature (sorry), but I would highly recommend the MEE m6 Pros, for less than $50. Until I purchased a more expensive pair, these were my go to pair. And if I need a throw-around pair, the m6 Pros are it. Slightly bright trebles, brought under control with an EQ. Decent bass, very good soundstage and separation.

I like them a lot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back