Multi-IEM Review - 352 IEMs compared (Pump Audio Earphones added 04/03/16 p. 1106)
May 9, 2015 at 4:38 PM Post #15,856 of 16,931
I've followed this thread for some time, and have referenced back to it time and time again before blind buying a set of IEMs, great job man truly an in depth wealth of knowledge 
beerchug.gif

Right now I'm currently in the market for a set of IEMs for playing video games at a competitive level. I run with a set of full size cans, but at times I like to be able to do other things whilst in a gaming session or be able to have a conversation with those around me or enjoy music or a movie in the background. What I would be looking for is something with great detail whoring and positional ques, of course comfort would be a factor as well. Budget is open as long as I would be getting what I paid for in the end. Thank you in advance for any insight and help provided :)

May 9, 2015 at 11:53 PM Post #15,859 of 16,931
  Good workout IEMs? $100? 

Something warm, slighty subdued treble.. EDMbased music.

Shure SE215? 
MEE M6 sport?
Jaybirds Bluebuds X?
Soundmagic E30?
Xaomi Pistons 2.1?

Out of these definitely SE215 for performance. M6 is good and works well for EDM but as Shawn71 said treble is not that subdued. Might be a better value for workouts at $20 if you're going to abuse them, though. Replacment M6 is cheaper than a replacement Shure cable.

I've followed this thread for some time, and have referenced back to it time and time again before blind buying a set of IEMs, great job man truly an in depth wealth of knowledge 
beerchug.gif

Right now I'm currently in the market for a set of IEMs for playing video games at a competitive level. I run with a set of full size cans, but at times I like to be able to do other things whilst in a gaming session or be able to have a conversation with those around me or enjoy music or a movie in the background. What I would be looking for is something with great detail whoring and positional ques, of course comfort would be a factor as well. Budget is open as long as I would be getting what I paid for in the end. Thank you in advance for any insight and help provided :)

I don't know anything about gaming with IEMs so I'm probably not the right person to ask. Not sure how IEMs will help your goal of interacting with others - a good IEM will isolate more outside noise than a full-size can.

With that said, you can get good detail and imaging with a relatively inexpensive IEM - VSonic VSD3S for instance, or better yet the Havi B3 PRO I. 

Sorry for bringing it up again, but nothing on the Null Audio entry level ceim?

I am not familiar with this brand.

May 10, 2015 at 3:27 AM Post #15,860 of 16,931
I've been working out with the SE215's for some time now and they're great. Great for blocking out noise but especially if you have foam tips, if you workout with someone then you'll struggle to hear them even with music off. However for sweat resistance and how well they stay in while running (very hard running at that), I've been impressed. I'd recommend.

May 11, 2015 at 12:19 PM Post #15,861 of 16,931
In regards to the workout IEM question in the $100 range for EDM.

Purely out of curiosity.. what headphones (on-ear and over-ear) fall into this category in the $100-$200 range? 

I would think:

UE6000
Beyer COP
Momentums On&Over-Ears
VModa M80
Anything else?

May 11, 2015 at 11:14 PM Post #15,862 of 16,931
  In regards to the workout IEM question in the $100 range for EDM.

Purely out of curiosity.. what headphones (on-ear and over-ear) fall into this category in the $100-$200 range? 

I would think:

UE6000
Beyer COP
Momentums On&Over-Ears
VModa M80
Anything else?

I don't know what qualifies an on/over-ear headphone for workout but I like the HD25 with EDM, personally. It's got a mildly v-shaped sig that works well. Other all-around good headphones with a bass emphasis should work fine, too - I generally like all of the ones you've listed. 

May 12, 2015 at 4:35 PM Post #15,863 of 16,931
Hi Joker,

I am trying to make a decision between 2 iems. 

I have an offer standing for the Audio Technica CK100 PRO for $200 and a Dunu DN1000 for $100. 

I have had many TWFK sets & one Shure SE-535, find myself preferring an analytical sound. 

Which among the 2 would you suggest?

Thanks,

May 12, 2015 at 5:03 PM Post #15,864 of 16,931
  Hi Joker,

I have an offer standing for the Audio Technica CK100 PRO for $200 and a Dunu DN1000 for $100. 

I have had many TWFK sets & one Shure SE-535, find myself preferring an analytical sound. 

Thanks,

I would suggest CK100PRO since DN1000 is not a neutral IEM with some emphasis on bass and treble. They aren't analytical but more on the fun side.

May 12, 2015 at 9:37 PM Post #15,865 of 16,931
With reference to Se215, it does have excellent build quality, but not sure about sweat resistance and SQ.

Had it for 3 years, right earbud had been intermittently working. Took it off and there was some corrosion in the mmcx connector....weird stuff.

Also the the sound was ok, about 6/10, but didn't give enough energy for the music I believe. Too muddy. Though to their credit they do stay in your ear excellently, and are very comfortable.

Unless you do not care for treble energy, I would look elsewhere.
Perhaps the RHA MA750s, or the DJE1500s. Definitely need a dynamic driver for workout though, unless you do bench presses to Mozart....might be interesting actually...

May 12, 2015 at 11:08 PM Post #15,866 of 16,931
  Hi Joker,

Thanks,

Same here, CK100 pro, DN-1k is good but its balance is not up to the mark, You had the Titan right, It was slightly V shaped, and DUNU is a bit more in the V. Its not bad or anything but loses some kudos just because of it, Other wise for $100, its analytical enough, And for perceived details ans analyzing, Its slightly below 100 Pro. Just because of its slight bass bolt.
Chose any, you wont be disappointed unless you want balance, cuz for balance DN-1k is not recommended. If you ask me, i will go for CK100 Pro.

May 13, 2015 at 3:12 AM Post #15,867 of 16,931
I am thinking of upgrading my beloved Westone 3 with an even better IEM. I would like something similar sounding to my Westones or LCD headphones (e.g. LCD-X). The next iem should be musical, have great tone, great resolution and higher overall sound quality than W3.

Could you suggest me something up to $700?

May 13, 2015 at 11:26 PM Post #15,868 of 16,931
  Hi Joker,

Thanks,

I don't have any experience with the CK100 PRO. The DN-1000 can be thought of as a v-shaped, enhanced-bass earphone with a rather exciting sound signature, but it can also be considered an analytical earphone similar to the TWFK-based Brainwavz B2 or ATH-CK10, but with an added subwoofer. Of course the bass won't be as flat and fast on the DN-1000 as those BA monitors, but the upper part of the frequency spectrum isn't very different. 

I am thinking of upgrading my beloved Westone 3 with an even better IEM. I would like something similar sounding to my Westones or LCD headphones (e.g. LCD-X). The next iem should be musical, have great tone, great resolution and higher overall sound quality than W3.

Could you suggest me something up to $700?

Hmm.. the Audeze headphones don't really sound much like a Westone 3 (the ones I've had are warmer and smoother, with none of that v-shaped character of the Westones). 

You can consider the StageDiver SD-2 for a more balanced sound, it's always reminded me to the LCD-2 in some ways. Won't have the bass hump of the Westones, but it's not missing bass. A Sony MDR-7550 is pretty good as well, though it's a little more dry. 

With the budget there might be something in the custom market to look at as well, but I can't think of anything that's as smooth as an Audeze, not hugely bassy, and not potentially sacrificing clarity some compared to the brighter W3.

May 14, 2015 at 3:45 AM Post #15,869 of 16,931
I just left my iPhone for a Samsung Galaxy S5, and I'm in love, but there seems to be hardly any Android *phone* IEMs, replete with mic and buttons. can anyone recommend some between 40 and 80 bucks?  I'm not a bass head.  I'm in my late 50's, so my hearing isn't the best and I want those airy highs and good sound stage.  Also: the last5 IEMs I've owned the cords failed internally, anything that will last daily use, I'm not abusive!

May 14, 2015 at 7:47 AM Post #15,870 of 16,931
I just left my iPhone for a Samsung Galaxy S5, and I'm in love, but there seems to be hardly any Android *phone* IEMs, replete with mic and buttons. can anyone recommend some between 40 and 80 bucks?  I'm not a bass head.  I'm in my late 50's, so my hearing isn't the best and I want those airy highs and good sound stage.  Also: the last5 IEMs I've owned the cords failed internally, anything that will last daily use, I'm not abusive!

Xiaomi Piston 3. It's a Chinese brand that is for Android complete with volume buttons and the play/call button. Can be had for less than $20. Reviews say it's more balanced than the 2nd version (which I have).

Sennheiser has the Momentum in ear (they have separate iOS and Android versions) but costs $99

Users who are viewing this thread

Back