Multi-IEM Review - 352 IEMs compared (Pump Audio Earphones added 04/03/16 p. 1106)
May 14, 2015 at 1:18 PM Post #15,871 of 16,931
Hmm.. the Audeze headphones don't really sound much like a Westone 3 (the ones I've had are warmer and smoother, with none of that v-shaped character of the Westones). 

You can consider the StageDiver SD-2 for a more balanced sound, it's always reminded me to the LCD-2 in some ways. Won't have the bass hump of the Westones, but it's not missing bass. A Sony MDR-7550 is pretty good as well, though it's a little more dry. 

With the budget there might be something in the custom market to look at as well, but I can't think of anything that's as smooth as an Audeze, not hugely bassy, and not potentially sacrificing clarity some compared to the brighter W3.

Thanks for the reply.
Actually you're are right, Audeze and Westone 3 are different sounding headphones. But I like the sound of both and would be happy to find an IEM which is Audeze-like or an IEM that is enhancing Westone 3's sound especially by increasing its resolution.

May 15, 2015 at 2:45 AM Post #15,872 of 16,931
  I just left my iPhone for a Samsung Galaxy S5, and I'm in love, but there seems to be hardly any Android *phone* IEMs, replete with mic and buttons. can anyone recommend some between 40 and 80 bucks?  I'm not a bass head.  I'm in my late 50's, so my hearing isn't the best and I want those airy highs and good sound stage.  Also: the last5 IEMs I've owned the cords failed internally, anything that will last daily use, I'm not abusive!

Yep, Xiaomi Piston 2 or 3 if you want buttons (plural). Both have 3-button Android remotes (I actually prefer the remote on the Piston 2 because the buttons are a bit easier to use without looking). Both sound really good, too - the Piston 3 is indeed more balanced while the 2 is on the warmer and bassier side. Not super airy, but in that price range and with a 3-button Android remote it doesn't get any better than these two.

May 15, 2015 at 8:49 PM Post #15,873 of 16,931
EyuiOL-8ff.jpg
  I just left my iPhone for a Samsung Galaxy S5, and I'm in love, but there seems to be hardly any Android *phone* IEMs, replete with mic and buttons. can anyone recommend some between 40 and 80 bucks?  I'm not a bass head.  I'm in my late 50's, so my hearing isn't the best and I want those airy highs and good sound stage.  Also: the last5 IEMs I've owned the cords failed internally, anything that will last daily use, I'm not abusive!

You're one of the rare that goes from Iphone to Android :p I use TTpod good stuff!

May 16, 2015 at 5:11 AM Post #15,876 of 16,931
  Hi joker, Ladies  & Gentleman and Mr. Ozzy Osbourne,
One of my favorite IEM is GR07 Classic, I'm looking for something similar with some 2-3 dB more on 20-30 Hz and without sibilance (or less prone to it). Are there something  I'd like...? Limit is $250 (ok 300...). Peace out!

That's a tough one. The Philips Fidelio S2 might be an option as that is about how I would describe it - with a good fit (which can be a bit challenging as it's a shallow-sealing earphone) it has similar deep bass and a hair less mid-bass than the GR07 Bass Edition (which is right in line with your bass requirement) and takes off some of the sibilance of the GR07s (at the expense of a bit more upper midrange lift).

With a slightly less literal interpretation you have some other options. The Dunu DN-2000, for instance - its sound is overall more U-shaped than that of the VSonic, but with the right combination of tips and spacers you can get sibilance well below GR07 levels and the sub-bass is more powerful.

May 16, 2015 at 5:18 AM Post #15,877 of 16,931

That's a tough one. The Philips Fidelio S2 might be an option as that is about how I would describe it - with a good fit (which can be a bit challenging as it's a shallow-sealing earphone) it has similar deep bass and a hair less mid-bass than the GR07 Bass Edition (which is right in line with your bass requirement) and takes off some of the sibilance of the GR07s (at the expense of a bit more upper midrange lift).

With a slightly less literal interpretation you have some other options. The Dunu DN-2000, for instance - its sound is overall more U-shaped than that of the VSonic, but with the right combination of tips and spacers you can get sibilance well below GR07 levels and the sub-bass is more powerful.

Yep, the DN2000 was on my list, just wait would you mention it ... 
wink.gif
 . Thanks.

May 16, 2015 at 1:11 PM Post #15,878 of 16,931
  Hi joker, Ladies  & Gentleman and Mr. Ozzy Osbourne,
One of my favorite IEM is GR07 Classic, I'm looking for something similar with some 2-3 dB more on 20-30 Hz and without sibilance (or less prone to it). Are there something  I'd like...? Limit is $250 (ok 300...). Peace out!

I think you'd like the CKR9 from Audio Technica. It's a very similar overall sound to the GR07, but with more subbass, less sibilance, and a much improved soundstage. The midrange is more forward as well making them a bit less recessed than the GR07 (not that I ever had issue with the GR07's detailed mids). The CKR9 was that GR07 on steroids that I was looking for and I'm still blown away by the resolution, depth, control, and detail that I hear when I listen to it. 

May 16, 2015 at 9:58 PM Post #15,879 of 16,931

You're one of the rare that goes from Iphone to Android :pI use TTpod good stuff!

I suppose we're not THAT rare, especially with phones like the new Samsung S6 Edge (I'm using an S5) with build quality on part or better than Apple's.  I'm a function over form person, though, which is why I was so unhappy with my iPhone 4s.  I've loving the S5, the sound quality is better, the sound quality is not AS good as my Cowon D2, but very close to it, but I need some IEMs to explore things.  I listen to Fusion, Rock, Progressive, Alternative Rock, Jazz, Symphony, World, and some other stuff.  I have some hearing loss but I'm still able to tell the difference between crappy and good stuff (I used to be a lead guitarist and damaged my hearing somewhat).

May 16, 2015 at 10:12 PM Post #15,880 of 16,931

Yep, Xiaomi Piston 2 or 3 if you want buttons (plural). Both have 3-button Android remotes (I actually prefer the remote on the Piston 2 because the buttons are a bit easier to use without looking). Both sound really good, too - the Piston 3 is indeed more balanced while the 2 is on the warmer and bassier side. Not super airy, but in that price range and with a 3-button Android remote it doesn't get any better than these two.

Are the Xiaomi's fairly durable?  Sadly, the only Earphones that have lasted any amount of time that I've had were the stock Apple iPhone junkers, I just recently did the cord in on them, and just in the hick of time I've gotten a new phone.   Why can't they make these things with stronger cords?  And why so few Android IEMs?

May 17, 2015 at 12:07 AM Post #15,881 of 16,931

Are the Xiaomi's fairly durable?  Sadly, the only Earphones that have lasted any amount of time that I've had were the stock Apple iPhone junkers, I just recently did the cord in on them, and just in the hick of time I've gotten a new phone.   Why can't they make these things with stronger cords?  And why so few Android IEMs?

Most of the apple compatible earphones will work with android, but you will only be picking/ending calls and playing/pausing music with the central button, if its a one button thing, then its exactly same.

May 19, 2015 at 3:47 AM Post #15,884 of 16,931

I think you'd like the CKR9 from Audio Technica. It's a very similar overall sound to the GR07, but with more subbass, less sibilance, and a much improved soundstage. The midrange is more forward as well making them a bit less recessed than the GR07 (not that I ever had issue with the GR07's detailed mids). The CKR9 was that GR07 on steroids that I was looking for and I'm still blown away by the resolution, depth, control, and detail that I hear when I listen to it. 

Thanks ZapX629! Sounds interesting ... possible to try

May 19, 2015 at 7:40 PM Post #15,885 of 16,931
I've decided I'll just spend a bunch (compared to my current $55 VSD3S) and go with a very entry level CIEM for around 250-300 ish but now the T20 pops up? Some Sony BA's and Dunu's caught my eye as well. Much more strong choices in that price range :/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back