Multi-IEM Review - 352 IEMs compared (Pump Audio Earphones added 04/03/16 p. 1106)
Mar 30, 2015 at 10:55 PM Post #15,737 of 16,931
But they look tacky!

I think that once you'd get them in your hands, you'd stop feeling that way about them. They are built very well, are fairly small, and they fit in the ear in such a way that they don't fall out. Also, the cable is one of the best cables I've seen. And best of all, they sound very good. Plenty of testimony here:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/744083/dunu-titan-1-titanium-coated-diaphragm-half-in-ear-earphones

Mar 31, 2015 at 2:02 PM Post #15,738 of 16,931
Hi Joker, first of all thanks for this amazing comprehensive thread & your website. I use them extensively to look for my first CIEM and I found some CIEMs in my budget range: JH5, Alclair Reference, 1964-v3. I listen to mainly jazz/blues vocal & alternative rock. I like clear, neutral to a lil bit warm vocal (but not overly Shure-like liquid), airy highs (I listen to live performances -airy sounds helps a lot- but I know CIEMs can't be compared to open headphones), neutral fast detailed bass. I can't stand to thin mid & vocal & bloated bass. My equalizer would be 'W' shaped or treble booster when listening with a flat IEM. Which one will satisfy my needs best?

Apr 1, 2015 at 10:51 PM Post #15,739 of 16,931
  Hi Joker, first of all thanks for this amazing comprehensive thread & your website. I use them extensively to look for my first CIEM and I found some CIEMs in my budget range: JH5, Alclair Reference, 1964-v3. I listen to mainly jazz/blues vocal & alternative rock. I like clear, neutral to a lil bit warm vocal (but not overly Shure-like liquid), airy highs (I listen to live performances -airy sounds helps a lot- but I know CIEMs can't be compared to open headphones), neutral fast detailed bass. I can't stand to thin mid & vocal & bloated bass. My equalizer would be 'W' shaped or treble booster when listening with a flat IEM. Which one will satisfy my needs best?

No experience with the JH5 here, unfortunately, but the V3 and Reference both fit your requirements. I thought the Reference would be a better fit for you initially, being the flatter, more neutral (still very mildly warm) earphone with no lack of treble presence and slightly dry mids. However, your last statement about applying a W-shaped EQ to neutral earphones makes me think the bassier, more aggressive V3 may still be viable. I guess it depends on how much of a W-curve you are used to, because the V3 doesn't pull any punches when it comes to bass impact or treble energy. On paper the Reference is still the safer choice for what you're asking, but I'd be tempted to go for the more fun V3.

Apr 2, 2015 at 3:04 AM Post #15,741 of 16,931

No experience with the JH5 here, unfortunately, but the V3 and Reference both fit your requirements. I thought the Reference would be a better fit for you initially, being the flatter, more neutral (still very mildly warm) earphone with no lack of treble presence and slightly dry mids. However, your last statement about applying a W-shaped EQ to neutral earphones makes me think the bassier, more aggressive V3 may still be viable. I guess it depends on how much of a W-curve you are used to, because the V3 doesn't pull any punches when it comes to bass impact or treble energy. On paper the Reference is still the safer choice for what you're asking, but I'd be tempted to go for the more fun V3.

I don't get how could V3 sounds aggressive while doesn't have any impacts. Could you elaborate this? I prefer bass impact, then quality, and quantity (I never be a basshead).

Anyone has experience with JH5 mid? I heard that mid is (very?) recessed, not much in 500-1000 Hz region.

Apr 3, 2015 at 5:14 AM Post #15,742 of 16,931

I don't get how could V3 sounds aggressive while doesn't have any impacts. Could you elaborate this? I prefer bass impact, then quality, and quantity (I never be a basshead).

Anyone has experience with JH5 mid? I heard that mid is (very?) recessed, not much in 500-1000 Hz region.

"Doesn't pull any punches" means it punches with full force ("pulling" a punch means not actually hitting someone with a punch (pulling back at the last moment))

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Apr 3, 2015 at 7:08 PM Post #15,743 of 16,931
"Doesn't pull any punches" means it punches with full force ("pulling" a punch means not actually hitting someone with a punch (pulling back at the last moment))

Sorry, my bad English. 
confused_face.gif
  Thank you for the explanation. So V3s are impactful CIEMs.

Apr 3, 2015 at 11:31 PM Post #15,744 of 16,931
Foam tips on the VSD3S ensure a good fit and takes out a lot of sibilance! More than satisfied! Thanks for all the advise all

Glad you're enjoying them!

Thanks 
biggrin.gif

Sorry, my bad English. 
confused_face.gif
  Thank you for the explanation. So V3s are impactful CIEMs.

Yes, they are

Apr 6, 2015 at 8:38 PM Post #15,746 of 16,931
I'm looking for a smooth/warm and detailed iem for around $50, since my Sunrise Xcape cable broke. I'm thinking maybe VSonic R02 or Ostry KC06, but i don't know. Maybe i should get a cheap $25 or do i need to spend $100 to get a better iem than the Xcape?

Apr 6, 2015 at 8:55 PM Post #15,747 of 16,931
  I'm looking for a smooth/warm and detailed iem for around $50, since my Sunrise Xcape cable broke. I'm thinking maybe VSonic R02 or Ostry KC06, but i don't know. Maybe i should get a cheap $25 or do i need to spend $100 to get a better iem than the Xcape?

ATH IM50 would be my pick. VSD3 would be a good one too, but with lesser build quality and less smooth.

Apr 6, 2015 at 11:22 PM Post #15,748 of 16,931

R02 has the right signature but I think you can do better for the price with the Sony MH1C. It's bassier and not better than the Xcape, but for the money it's very good. 

For $50 you could go with the SteelSeries Flux In-Ear or better yet the Phonak Perfect Bass (which can currently be had for just $40). Can't tell you if it's better than the IM50 or not since I've only heard those briefly, but certainly very competitive for the price. 

Apr 7, 2015 at 1:05 AM Post #15,749 of 16,931

If you liked the Sw xcape, I will spend $80, get the re-400 unless you are going ninja on them.

Apr 7, 2015 at 10:31 AM Post #15,750 of 16,931

R02 has the right signature but I think you can do better for the price with the Sony MH1C. It's bassier and not better than the Xcape, but for the money it's very good. 

For $50 you could go with the SteelSeries Flux In-Ear or better yet the Phonak Perfect Bass (which can currently be had for just $40). Can't tell you if it's better than the IM50 or not since I've only heard those briefly, but certainly very competitive for the price. 

I'm still seeing if i'm ordering from inside europe or asia so the prices vary, but usd-eur exchange is not very good for us europeans so i might buy inside EU. I also have a person in Canada that can bring them to me.

I want small and comfortable so I know they fit right , and will be wearing them straight down.

My issue is: earbuds tend to fall from my ears, that's why i bought my first iem some 10 years ago and haven't used earbuds since, but I grew to dislike the sometimes claustrophobic isolation and emptiness feeling IEM provide walking in the street and public transporation, so i wanted to try earbuds. Almost bought Yuin pk3 but wasn't sure they would fit, so orderer the dasetn pk3. Now the sunrise cable broke, and since i've using them the past 5 or 6 years i want something new and different soundwise.

What about the Brainwavz S1? I like the idea of putting them on a pocket and not worry about getting tangled cables, and they seem durable. Maybe a bit too V sound sig?

If you liked the Sw xcape, I will spend $80, get the re-400 unless you are going ninja on them.

The Re400 are maybe a little out of what i want to spend.

My list so far:

Brainwavz S1
Phonak 012
Vsonic R02
Vsonic VC02
Moe Audio MOE-SS01
Meelectronic a151
Hisoundaudio Crystal
Astrotec ax-35
HiSoundAudio BA100
Dunu DN-22 Detonator
OSTRY KC06
Fidue A63

In "short" what i'm looking for: Smooth/warm and detailed mids and top end, i want to hear the vocals and instruments, soundstage and separation. Not a basshead and don't listen much to hard music such as electronic trance, techno ,death/black metal , etc so not insterested in bass quantity but quality and control

Users who are viewing this thread

Back