Multi-IEM Review - 352 IEMs compared (Pump Audio Earphones added 04/03/16 p. 1106)
Feb 16, 2014 at 12:58 PM Post #12,961 of 16,931
  elbdogs is correct - there is no 3-button M6P as far as I know, only a 1-button with volume slider. I still have at least two M6s (might still have my 1st-gen one somewhere). Use them while running and with other dangerous (for IEMs) activities. Sound-wise they are no VSD1S but for $20 I can't say I feel they are lacking anything. I've never found the bass quantity on them lacking but the fit can be a little tricky at first. I think the stock tips have improved over the years - the bi-flanges that came with my newest set actually fit me pretty well. 

The E10M does sound better but may not be as durable in the long run. It has a true 3-button control though. Ditto on the Ultimate Ears 500vi - the other sub $40 3-button set I would recommend for sound quality over the M6P, but not for construction.

Thanks! I went with the M6P eventually as I would be using them right now for working out and such and if I require good IEMs for other use, I'll stretch my budget and get something that has even better quality than both E10M and M6P when I'll be back in Europe. Might aswell take the opportunity to order Meelectronics as I'm in the States right now!

I'll hopefully be happy with them even as I use them daily on commutes as such, we'll see! They'll probably be a (big?) improvement over the stock Apple Earbuds I was using daily.

Feb 16, 2014 at 2:04 PM Post #12,962 of 16,931

The E10 or 3580 would probably be my pick for punchy but not overly mid-recessed. They have less of a v-shape than the M9. I don't find the E10 to have great isolation, though, and the other set I would recommend (the LG Quadbeat) has that issue as well. 

There's the SteelSeries Flux at $50 if you can stretch your budget - good isolation and fits your other needs. It's a very shallow v-shape in response.

Do you think if I used the Meelectronics flange tips on the E10 I would achieve good isolation?

Also, thoughts on the E10 vs. the Brainwavz M1?

Feb 16, 2014 at 4:32 PM Post #12,963 of 16,931
Hello Joker,

I've heard great things about the RHA MA-750i. But I read a few reviews that say it doesn't handle classical or jazz well. Any thoughts on this? If so, what do you recommend around that price?

Thanks!

Feb 16, 2014 at 7:45 PM Post #12,966 of 16,931

OK, thanks.  I really appreciate all of the help, and the resource that you have provided.  It's been extremely valuable.  Things used to be easier on my ears in general, but as I've gotten older, I've become more sensitive to certain things.  It's been frustrating.  The trick for me is finding a balance between warmth and bass presence in the low end; detail, clarity, and dynamics in the midrange; and smoothness in the high end.  It's tough!

I mentioned the Vsonic GR99's because I think they deliver what I'm looking for in the low and high end, so I was wondering if maybe one of the more expensive Vsonic's got the midrange right as well.

I see a lot of mention of the HiFiMan RE-400's around here, and you give them a good review.  I was thinking of trying those as well.

The GR99 is very unique in VSonic's lineup - the darkest of the bunch with rather full-bodied sound. I don't think you want to look at VSonic for another GR99-like earphone.

Not at all what he said. It depends on if you like something with a bit extra or less bass that than what may be considered the perfect amount and even that's individually subjective. It doesn't matter if a cheaper thing is at qualitatively the same level if it's quantitative nature doesn't agree with you. 

That's correct. Thanks for interpreting 
tongue.gif

Thanks! I went with the M6P eventually as I would be using them right now for working out and such and if I require good IEMs for other use, I'll stretch my budget and get something that has even better quality than both E10M and M6P when I'll be back in Europe. Might aswell take the opportunity to order Meelectronics as I'm in the States right now!

I'll hopefully be happy with them even as I use them daily on commutes as such, we'll see! They'll probably be a (big?) improvement over the stock Apple Earbuds I was using daily.

If you have the old Apple earbuds it should be an improvement. Apple earpods, probably not so much. 

Do you think if I used the Meelectronics flange tips on the E10 I would achieve good isolation?

Also, thoughts on the E10 vs. the Brainwavz M1?

The M1 is more mid-centric, rolling off the bass compared to the E10 and having less treble energy as well. 

Hello Joker,

I've heard great things about the RHA MA-750i. But I read a few reviews that say it doesn't handle classical or jazz well. Any thoughts on this? If so, what do you recommend around that price?

Thanks!

I personally would want a more balanced-sounding earphone for those genres, or at least on with a little more midrange relative to the bass. Not a lot of options for that while still maintaining enhanced bass, though.

Feb 16, 2014 at 9:30 PM Post #12,967 of 16,931

I personally would want a more balanced-sounding earphone for those genres, or at least on with a little more midrange relative to the bass. Not a lot of options for that while still maintaining enhanced bass, though.

Thanks so much for your response! Do you have any suggestions around the price range of the MA-750i? Or do I have to go above $200?

Feb 16, 2014 at 11:03 PM Post #12,968 of 16,931

If you have the old Apple earbuds it should be an improvement. Apple earpods, probably not so much. 

Is that so? I have had both and felt the Earpods were obviously better than the earbuds. But it's the earbuds that gave up on me recently.

Problem with the Earpods is that they've given up on me after ~1year of usage. Got them replaced but I really don't look forward to heavy usage of them, so the M6P should fit perfectly in that category! :)

Are you sure that Earpods and M6P have similar "qualities"? If you had to choose, which one would it be? It might be a bit of a dragged along question but I feel like it could be interesting to hear what a succesful reviewer thinks about it.

Feb 17, 2014 at 1:07 AM Post #12,969 of 16,931
Hey |joker|,

Would you categorize the SM64 and DUNU DN1K to be approximately the same sound signature? A certain website has the DN1k at $160USD, and the SM64's fun, bassy and energetic signature seems enticing, but it seems that the DN1K might be a better value.

One thing that struck me in your SM64 review is that you said that it gets your "toes tapping" more than most earphones. I guess I'm trying to gauge that feeling you had against how you felt with the DN1K. 
tongue.gif

Thanks!

Feb 17, 2014 at 4:50 AM Post #12,971 of 16,931
Hi Joker,
your Multi-IEM review is really impressive and has helped me a lot choosing IEMs!
Now I am on the hunt for new IEMs, till now I have owned the ie8, triple.fi v10 and ue900. I loved them all but I always missed some things in each of them.
For me my ideal IEM (out of what I have heard) would have the treble of the ie8, the bass and sound stage of the triple.fi v10 and the midrange and detail of the ue900.
I would be willing to go upwards of the 500$ mark if there is something that really matches this profile but prefer to stay under it.
Out of the reviews I have read I think Westone 3 is the one that comes closer, is this correct? Do you have any recommendations?
Thanks a lot!

Feb 17, 2014 at 10:27 PM Post #12,973 of 16,931

Assuming you just want the one with the wider/more out-of-the-head soundstage, the GR07 BE, as modulor said, but there are many ways in which speakers differ from IEMs.

I was considering the GR07 BE but reading about the sibilance has scared me off but I could get it for a good price here(140 CAD). I am still torn, I am really interested in the re-400 after reading modular's recommendation. I would like your recommendation as well. I am looking for an iem with upfront vocals and highs that sparkle. I also prefer a thinner sound. Where the bass is concerned I greatly prefer quality and speed over quantity. Looking for the most detail for the price. Basically something close to neutral but with pronounced vocals. I hope you could recommend something within the 100-200$ range for me. The options I'm looking at are the HF5, re-400, gr07BE, vc1000 and the dunu DN-1000(Please add anything you feel would better suit my tastes). I also here the se215's are good if the cable is replaced by a Fiio one.

Thanks!

Feb 17, 2014 at 10:33 PM Post #12,974 of 16,931

Thanks so much for your response! Do you have any suggestions around the price range of the MA-750i? Or do I have to go above $200?

Are you willing to give up the enhanced bass? If so something like the RE-400 will do those genres pretty well. If not, maybe a GR07 Bass Edition.

Is that so? I have had both and felt the Earpods were obviously better than the earbuds. But it's the earbuds that gave up on me recently.

Problem with the Earpods is that they've given up on me after ~1year of usage. Got them replaced but I really don't look forward to heavy usage of them, so the M6P should fit perfectly in that category! :)

Are you sure that Earpods and M6P have similar "qualities"? If you had to choose, which one would it be? It might be a bit of a dragged along question but I feel like it could be interesting to hear what a succesful reviewer thinks about it.

I didn't say that the M6P and Earpods sound similar, only that the M6P is not really an upgrade from the Earpods in sound quality. The M6 has a bassier, more v-shaped sound while the Earpods are pretty balanced, with a little too much upper midrange and rolled-off deep bass. 

Hey |joker|,

Would you categorize the SM64 and DUNU DN1K to be approximately the same sound signature? A certain website has the DN1k at $160USD, and the SM64's fun, bassy and energetic signature seems enticing, but it seems that the DN1K might be a better value.

One thing that struck me in your SM64 review is that you said that it gets your "toes tapping" more than most earphones. I guess I'm trying to gauge that feeling you had against how you felt with the DN1K. 
tongue.gif

Thanks!

Wouldn't say they have a similar sound signature. They are certainly very different tonally - the SM64 warmer and darker by a margin. The DN1k has a little more bass impact, along with more treble energy, and definitely gets your toes tapping, but in a slightly different way.

Hi Joker,
your Multi-IEM review is really impressive and has helped me a lot choosing IEMs!
Now I am on the hunt for new IEMs, till now I have owned the ie8, triple.fi v10 and ue900. I loved them all but I always missed some things in each of them.
For me my ideal IEM (out of what I have heard) would have the treble of the ie8, the bass and sound stage of the triple.fi v10 and the midrange and detail of the ue900.
I would be willing to go upwards of the 500$ mark if there is something that really matches this profile but prefer to stay under it.
Out of the reviews I have read I think Westone 3 is the one that comes closer, is this correct? Do you have any recommendations?
Thanks a lot!

The W3 has more mid-bass than the TF10 and more treble energy/less smoothness than the IE8. It's definitely not an earphone I'd have thought of given your requirements but then I don't really have a better suggestion.

Joker:any chance of a custom one pro review? Essentially like your view on the sound and the impact of the tuning possibilities

Replied in the portable headphone thread.

Feb 18, 2014 at 1:54 AM Post #12,975 of 16,931
Great review as always, have bought a couple of IEMs myself based on your reviews e.g Monoprice 8320 and Rockitsound R50. But I was wondering when are you going to add the Ocharaku line up to your list of reviews, you should at least do the Kaede and Kuro. 

Thanks 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back