Multi-IEM Review - 352 IEMs compared (Pump Audio Earphones added 04/03/16 p. 1106)
Feb 20, 2014 at 12:36 AM Post #12,992 of 16,931
  Deciding between B2's, VC1000's (~125) and a used pair of ER4S (~190) or similar. Anybody have thoughts? Comfort is huge, and I like to wear over ear... Not mandatory though. I had R-50's and want something similar, but a little smoother, just a touch. (maybe a slight bass quantity bump just a liiittleeeeee)

I would go for the er4s coz for me it sounds better than any twfk-based iem I've tried. It does require deep insertion, so depending on your ears that can affect the comfort but something like the B2 with it's too angled nozzle is more uncomfortable IMO. The VC1000 and dba02 mk2 will probably be your best bet comfort-wise. As far as the sound, the dba02 mk2 and VC1000 should fit your requirements for slightly smoother and bassier sound than R50 coz neither the B2 nor er4s are more forgiving or have more bass than r-50

Feb 20, 2014 at 1:25 AM Post #12,994 of 16,931

I only own the B2 so all I can do is speculate. The B2s, R-50, and MK II all use TWFK drivers, so keep that in mind too.

I know, and I like it, just looking for a different tuning I think.

Have you tried using an impedance adapter? Anything between 25-100 Ohms seems to work. Will give you slightly different results. Also try tip rolling a bit as R-50 stock tips are kind of a pain. I really enjoyed comply Ts-series with the R-50. I kind of miss them.

Feb 20, 2014 at 1:31 AM Post #12,995 of 16,931
Have you tried using an impedance adapter? Anything between 25-100 Ohms seems to work. Will give you slightly different results. Also try tip rolling a bit as R-50 stock tips are kind of a pain. I really enjoyed comply Ts-series with the R-50. I kind of miss them.

That's exactly what I used. I never did use an adapter, but I did use them with my C&C BH2. Where can I acquire an impedance adapter? It's also worth noting that my R-50's look like this:

At the moment. Got washered and Dryered. Never done that before, it was a bad move.

I liked the R-50's a lot, but again, that harshness was there, I want something a little smoother and weightier. I don't want to lose out on accuracy/technical proficiency though.

Feb 20, 2014 at 7:02 AM Post #12,996 of 16,931
@ljokerl: I don't know how you keep up! With the number of times I have referred new users to this thread, perhaps it should be required reading for joining
wink_face.gif

Feb 20, 2014 at 7:51 AM Post #12,997 of 16,931
Edit: nevermind.

Feb 20, 2014 at 9:02 AM Post #12,999 of 16,931
Joker,
I recently purchased the MA750s. While I think I have really found a good sounding set of IEMs for the money, they kill my ears. For some reason they end up resting on my lower lobe and just become painful. I wear mine on longer flights so they have to be comfortable. So now, I am looking for something with a similar sound signature. If I had to be picky, the 750s are a touch thicker than I like in the lower mids and I could stand for a touch more detail in the upper registers. I do like the sub bass though. Not a bass head but there is something about the elevation in this region that I really like. What would you recommend I look towards in the same price range. I'll figure out the comfort issue on my own. I just want sound recommendations.

Feb 20, 2014 at 8:30 PM Post #13,001 of 16,931

Interesting question. I would say:

$50-100: VSonic VC02 or Etymotic Research MC5, MEElec A161P if you want to jump into BA right away
$100-200: Etymotic HF5 or Rock-It Sounds R-50/VSonic VC1000/Brainwavz B2
$200+: Etymotic ER4S, j-Phonic K2 SP (if you're in Japan)
Customs: 1964EARS V6-Stage (balanced), JHAudio JH13 Pro (bassier), Hidition NT 6 (brighter)

I bolded my personal picks at each level. 

Big thanks. :)

What about Logitech UE700 and Fischer DBA-02 mkII, regarding their sound signature?

Feb 20, 2014 at 8:39 PM Post #13,002 of 16,931
  Joker,
I recently purchased the MA750s. While I think I have really found a good sounding set of IEMs for the money, they kill my ears. For some reason they end up resting on my lower lobe and just become painful. I wear mine on longer flights so they have to be comfortable. So now, I am looking for something with a similar sound signature. If I had to be picky, the 750s are a touch thicker than I like in the lower mids and I could stand for a touch more detail in the upper registers. I do like the sub bass though. Not a bass head but there is something about the elevation in this region that I really like. What would you recommend I look towards in the same price range. I'll figure out the comfort issue on my own. I just want sound recommendations.

PFEs with grey filters might be a good choice for your criteria if you have a powerful source like X3.

Feb 20, 2014 at 11:51 PM Post #13,004 of 16,931
  Deciding between B2's, VC1000's (~125) and a used pair of ER4S (~190) or similar. Anybody have thoughts? Comfort is huge, and I like to wear over ear... Not mandatory though. I had R-50's and want something similar, but a little smoother, just a touch. (maybe a slight bass quantity bump just a liiittleeeeee)

GR01 might be a better option than the VC1000 for you - it's even less bright. Otherwise the VC1000 is currently my favorite of the TWFKs and of course the ER4S is a long-time favorite. It doesn't have harshness but it also doesn't really sound weightier than the R-50 the way the GR01 does.

I've never really gotten good at wearing the Etys over the ear. The VC1000/GR01 can be a bit of a challenge too as they are pretty long but with a makeshift cable cinch I've managed to do so just fine - better than with the ER4S. ER4PT might be better at this since it has a softer twisted cable. 

@ljokerl: I don't know how you keep up! With the number of times I have referred new users to this thread, perhaps it should be required reading for joining
wink_face.gif

It's an uphill battle 
wink.gif

joker, have you tried the ckm500 little sibling, the ckm300? I'm wondering because you did review the 500 before didnt you?

I did review the CKM500 but haven't tried the CKM300.

Joker,

Hmm... seems like the earhook section might be too long for you and isn't "suspending" the earphones properly. Before you send them back you might want to try re-shaping that earhook so that it's smaller and keeps the earphones from touching the bottom of your outer ear. It can be re-shaped by first heating it up with a hair dryer.

I think the Dunu DN-1000 would be a good match for you sound-wise but it's not a small earphone and is more expensive. It doesn't flare out like the MA750, though, so its fit might work better.

EPH-100 can be a viable option as well - it's much smaller with at least as much deep bass as the MA750, more midrange presence, a little less lower treble energy but comes back in higher up and extends really well. 

Couple more that might work - Klipsch X10 (super comfortable and good bass but always a little lacking in treble presence for me), VSonic GR07BE (on the pricy side and not as much subbass as MA750 by a chunk), and JVC FXT90 (more v-shaped than MA750 and has more mid-bass than subbass, but should be the cheapest of the bunch). 

What are IEMs like for gaming?

Don't do much of that so hopefully someone else can answer. 

Big thanks. :)

What about Logitech UE700 and Fischer DBA-02 mkII, regarding their sound signature?

Both use similar drivers and sound very similar to the cheaper B2 and VC1000 that I listed. There are a couple of others that use a similar setup, too, like the Nocs NS-800 and Phiaton PS200. No use listing them all. 

Feb 21, 2014 at 1:23 AM Post #13,005 of 16,931
I give up on IEMs. I've tried all sorts of tips and they all hurt after a very short while. Then the other day someone gave me a free Final Audio Design Adagio II which I believe is at the low end of its range and I am shocked. It's so comfortable. Based on my untrained ears is it because the Adagio seems to have a very short plastic tip? From what I can see of quite a lot of IEMs the plastic tip (or metal depending on the IEM of course) seems quite near the end of the rubber or silicone tip but in the case of the Adagio II it is a further distance away. Can more experienced IEM users enlighten me? This could be the start of my IEM search. Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back