Multi-IEM Review - 352 IEMs compared (Pump Audio Earphones added 04/03/16 p. 1106)
Feb 15, 2014 at 2:45 PM Post #12,949 of 16,931
Finally have money to buy the JVC FRD80s that you recommended, but I had a quick afterthought that made me wanan come here and ask if you think they're ok to get from here. I guess the chances of it being fake are low, but you know how it goes - better safe than sorry :p

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/JVC-HA-FRD80ZE-Micro-HD-Earphones-Carbon-Nanotubes-Diaphragm-FREE-DELIVERY-/191069462205?ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:GB:1123

Feb 15, 2014 at 6:52 PM Post #12,950 of 16,931
  Hi Joker! 

I'm about to pull the trigger on the Noble 4 but I just wanna ask one more thing before I do if you don't mind.
I love the MH1 sound signature especially now that I've EQed the bass end to match Golden Ears' target.
I've come to realise that I actually prefer a reference/neutral signature with a slight sub bass boost.
Do you think I'll have to use the bass boost on my JDS labs C5 for me to enjoy the Noble 4?

Thanks heaps!

I haven't tried the 4 but my 4S does not have enhanced subbass - it dips down a bit compared to my Hidition NT 6 (which has slightly enhanced deep bass) for example. A hardware bass boost might help because in every other way it is a fantastic earphone.

Finally have money to buy the JVC FRD80s that you recommended, but I had a quick afterthought that made me wanan come here and ask if you think they're ok to get from here. I guess the chances of it being fake are low, but you know how it goes - better safe than sorry :p

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/JVC-HA-FRD80ZE-Micro-HD-Earphones-Carbon-Nanotubes-Diaphragm-FREE-DELIVERY-/191069462205?ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:GB:1123

I honestly have no clue if they're genuine or not.

Feb 15, 2014 at 8:03 PM Post #12,952 of 16,931
Thanks joker!

Feb 15, 2014 at 10:20 PM Post #12,954 of 16,931
Just realised that Amazon and another American eBay seller sell them for double the price as that. Which probably means that the £30 ones are gonna be fake
frown.gif

Some of the electronics companies around here (like, the big chain stores not little off-the-wall places) sell the FRD80s for cheaper than that on sale.  

Feb 15, 2014 at 10:25 PM Post #12,955 of 16,931

Yep, those are the ones I meant!

So it appears that the JVC HA-FXZ100/200 are not particularly easy to acquire. 

Hence, let me try a different angle.

I love the fun, big, dynamic, energetic, and smooth qualities of the VSonic GR99's.  I like wearing these at the gym a lot, for instance, as the sound really draws me in, and is not fatiguing in the least.

But for more critical listening, I'd like something with a bit more detail and airiness in the mids, as well as a bit less bass bleed over to the mids.  I don't mind the highs on these actually, I just want more out of the mids.  I like their warm quality, and I think the bass presence provides a good foundation for the sound.  I think the placement of things in the soundstage sounds right to my ears as well.  I just want less bass bleed over to the mids; a little more detail and clarity on things like electric guitars so that they have a bit more bite, crunch, and three-dimensionality; and a little less veil over the vocals (but not too much, just a slightly less amount...vocals seem to be the thing that I am most sensitive to these days in terms of peaks).

Any thoughts on something that might work?

Feb 16, 2014 at 3:36 AM Post #12,957 of 16,931
Sorry joker, I was asking for a comparison between the VC1000 and the DUNU1000s in upper midrange (female vocals) and soundstage.

The VC1000 has a more level sound signature with no midrange recession. Discounting the significantly more powerful bass of the Dunu set their performance is similar except that the VC1000 sounds a little smoother to me through the upper midrange and treble. Soundstaging likewise is similar but the VC1000 is never hindered by prominent bass, which affords it slightly better imaging in my experience. 

So it appears that the JVC HA-FXZ100/200 are not particularly easy to acquire. 

Hence, let me try a different angle.

I love the fun, big, dynamic, energetic, and smooth qualities of the VSonic GR99's.  I like wearing these at the gym a lot, for instance, as the sound really draws me in, and is not fatiguing in the least.

But for more critical listening, I'd like something with a bit more detail and airiness in the mids, as well as a bit less bass bleed over to the mids.  I don't mind the highs on these actually, I just want more out of the mids.  I like their warm quality, and I think the bass presence provides a good foundation for the sound.  I think the placement of things in the soundstage sounds right to my ears as well.  I just want less bass bleed over to the mids; a little more detail and clarity on things like electric guitars so that they have a bit more bite, crunch, and three-dimensionality; and a little less veil over the vocals (but not too much, just a slightly less amount...vocals seem to be the thing that I am most sensitive to these days in terms of peaks).

Any thoughts on something that might work?

Sorry, I don't have any more recommendations for this.

hi joker
when will you add FIDUE A63 to your list of review ?
from our last conversion it seems that a63 is best option for me so i am waiting for some final words from you.

Should be one of the next ones up. Currently working on the HiSound BA100. 

Feb 16, 2014 at 10:58 AM Post #12,958 of 16,931

OK, thanks.  I really appreciate all of the help, and the resource that you have provided.  It's been extremely valuable.  Things used to be easier on my ears in general, but as I've gotten older, I've become more sensitive to certain things.  It's been frustrating.  The trick for me is finding a balance between warmth and bass presence in the low end; detail, clarity, and dynamics in the midrange; and smoothness in the high end.  It's tough!

I mentioned the Vsonic GR99's because I think they deliver what I'm looking for in the low and high end, so I was wondering if maybe one of the more expensive Vsonic's got the midrange right as well.

I see a lot of mention of the HiFiMan RE-400's around here, and you give them a good review.  I was thinking of trying those as well.

Feb 16, 2014 at 12:02 PM Post #12,959 of 16,931
The VC1000 has a more level sound signature with no midrange recession. Discounting the significantly more powerful bass of the Dunu set their performance is similar except that the VC1000 sounds a little smoother to me through the upper midrange and treble. Soundstaging likewise is similar but the VC1000 is never hindered by prominent bass, which affords it slightly better imaging in my experience. 

Should be one of the next ones up. Currently working on the HiSound BA100. 

Joker So if I understand you correctly the dunu not recommended for purchase by your opinion ,Whether the vc1000 sound better than dunu and cheaper.

Feb 16, 2014 at 12:51 PM Post #12,960 of 16,931
Not at all what he said. It depends on if you like something with a bit extra or less bass that than what may be considered the perfect amount and even that's individually subjective. It doesn't matter if a cheaper thing is at qualitatively the same level if it's quantitative nature doesn't agree with you. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back