Multi-IEM Review - 352 IEMs compared (Pump Audio Earphones added 04/03/16 p. 1106)
Feb 14, 2014 at 8:02 PM Post #12,931 of 16,931

How come they wouldn't be good for an everyday phone? According to ljokerl the bass is pretty big on them too and since my main genres are Electronica, Jazz and Indie, I think they might actually do the job? Thanks though for your input!

They seem to go for 45$ on Amazon and some comments seem to say they're not that durable. So they're just a tad more expensive I suppose than the M6P.
Are they really worth the up in price SQ-wise?

Thanks for the reply! :)

Still looking for any other comments or alternatives as I'm gonna decide over this weekend before ordering a set of IEMs.

Let me amend my no bass comments.  It's loud enough in the bass department (intro riff to  "Billie Jean")  but just not textured enough for my tastes (I like to listen to classical and enjoy cello deep notes) .  Good luck on your search!

Feb 14, 2014 at 9:26 PM Post #12,933 of 16,931
What do people like for their favorite IEM < $40 that meet this criteria?

1.  Mids that aren't too subdued  
2.  Punchy bass but not overwhelming (The VSonic GR02's were WAYYYY too bassy for me)
3.  Want good isolation.  (The M9 dual flange tips were great).

Of the JVC Marshmallows, Meelectronics M9P, and GR02's, I'd probably say the Meelectronics were my favorite, but the mids/vocals felt muffled in a lot of songs.

Ideally I guess I'd say I want something with a very slight/shallow "V" curve, but mostly neutral.  Just enough extra pop in the bass and highs to make them sound interesting, but not overwhelming.

I'm considering: 

Philips 3580
JVC HAFX40
Brainwavz M1
Soundmagic E10

Anything else?

Feb 14, 2014 at 10:29 PM Post #12,934 of 16,931

2.  Punchy bass but not overwhelming (The VSonic GR02's were WAYYYY too bassy for me)

Of the JVC Marshmallows, Meelectronics M9P, and GR02's, I'd probably say the Meelectronics were my favorite, but the mids/vocals felt muffled in a lot of songs.

Ideally I guess I'd say I want something with a very slight/shallow "V" curve, but mostly neutral.  Just enough extra pop in the bass and highs to make them sound interesting, but not overwhelming.

I'm considering: 

Philips 3580
JVC HAFX40
Brainwavz M1
Soundmagic E10

Anything else?

if you can take the v-shaped sound go for hafx40 , they are really nice , nice bass , a less prominent mid and close to sibilant highs , if you want mids over everything else m1 has forward mids . skip the e10 , i find them not par with fx40 .

Feb 14, 2014 at 10:52 PM Post #12,935 of 16,931

if you can take the v-shaped sound go for hafx40 , they are really nice , nice bass , a less prominent mid and close to sibilant highs , if you want mids over everything else m1 has forward mids . skip the e10 , i find them not par with fx40 .

I'm worried that the tips on the FX40's won't seal in my ears enough since they appear to just be a single small tip.  Would I be able to use the M9's dual flange tips on them?

Feb 15, 2014 at 3:48 AM Post #12,936 of 16,931

I did a search based on this suggestion.  I think you may be referring to the JVC HA-FXZ100 and HA-FXZ200.  From the reviews, they sound enticing.

Yep, those are the ones I meant!

Hi guys,

I have a small question regarding IEM and having already been well advised in the portable headphones thread, I'd like to try my luck at the IEM thread.

As I am currently in the US, my old stock Apple Earbuds started acting up (left side being at 50% of the volume compared to the right side).
This made me think of getting a decent pair of IEM for everyday use as well as during sporting (jogging, etc...).

The only requirement for me is to have the same ease of use as Apple earbuds/earpods which means the remote with mic is a must (I have some IEMs without and work fine, but I am a sucker for the remote).

Looking at all the suggestions, the M6P seemed to come out of the lot as a good pair for the price, but a lot of people seem to say that they might have become outdated at this point. If so, which ones should I look at?
I'm with a tight budget (+/40$) as it's something just for on the road use next to my solid ATH-WS55 headphones that I love, so any comments are welcome.

TL;DR version: Require IEMs with remote+mic (3 button). Are Meelectronics M6P outdated for everyday usage on a budget of 40$ (in the US currently) or still the best bang for your buck? Will these last?

Thanks guys!

elbdogs is correct - there is no 3-button M6P as far as I know, only a 1-button with volume slider. I still have at least two M6s (might still have my 1st-gen one somewhere). Use them while running and with other dangerous (for IEMs) activities. Sound-wise they are no VSD1S but for $20 I can't say I feel they are lacking anything. I've never found the bass quantity on them lacking but the fit can be a little tricky at first. I think the stock tips have improved over the years - the bi-flanges that came with my newest set actually fit me pretty well. 

The E10M does sound better but may not be as durable in the long run. It has a true 3-button control though. Ditto on the Ultimate Ears 500vi - the other sub $40 3-button set I would recommend for sound quality over the M6P, but not for construction.

I'm so dying waiting for ljokerl to test the Fischer Amps FA-4 E XB. I read they are an upgrade to the UE900 which scores really really high on his list!! :D
The guys on the Fischer Amps FA-4 E XB thread told me they offered him to test their set but he's really busy. I can sooo understand that =).

I try not to commit to anything I won't be able to finish. I had the DN1k since September or so but it took me this long to write it up 
redface.gif

Does the VC1000 have more clarity and more upfront mid (upper-mids[ie female vocals])?

Compared to what?

I'm considering: 

Philips 3580
JVC HAFX40
Brainwavz M1
Soundmagic E10

Anything else?

The E10 or 3580 would probably be my pick for punchy but not overly mid-recessed. They have less of a v-shape than the M9. I don't find the E10 to have great isolation, though, and the other set I would recommend (the LG Quadbeat) has that issue as well. 

There's the SteelSeries Flux at $50 if you can stretch your budget - good isolation and fits your other needs. It's a very shallow v-shape in response.

Feb 15, 2014 at 4:24 AM Post #12,937 of 16,931
Hi Joker! 

I'm about to pull the trigger on the Noble 4 but I just wanna ask one more thing before I do if you don't mind.
I love the MH1 sound signature especially now that I've EQed the bass end to match Golden Ears' target.
I've come to realise that I actually prefer a reference/neutral signature with a slight sub bass boost.
Do you think I'll have to use the bass boost on my JDS labs C5 for me to enjoy the Noble 4?

Thanks heaps!

Feb 15, 2014 at 9:30 AM Post #12,938 of 16,931
  Hi Joker! 

I'm about to pull the trigger on the Noble 4 but I just wanna ask one more thing before I do if you don't mind.
I love the MH1 sound signature especially now that I've EQed the bass end to match Golden Ears' target.
I've come to realise that I actually prefer a reference/neutral signature with a slight sub bass boost.
Do you think I'll have to use the bass boost on my JDS labs C5 for me to enjoy the Noble 4?

Thanks heaps!

I don't think you'll dislike the N4's low end. Now the mh1's sub-bass is boosted in comparison and thus has more rumble but the N4 is tighter, faster and hits harder next to the more thumping sony. Anyway, you can always use the bass boost on your C5 but I think you won't find it that lacking.

Feb 15, 2014 at 9:38 AM Post #12,939 of 16,931
I don't think you'll dislike the N4's low end. Now the mh1's sub-bass is boosted in comparison and thus has more rumble but the N4 is tighter, faster and hits harder next to the more thumping sony. Anyway, you can always use the bass boost on your C5 but I think you won't find it that lacking.

Thanks for your inputs.

Feb 15, 2014 at 11:07 AM Post #12,940 of 16,931
  I'm so dying waiting for ljokerl to test the Fischer Amps FA-4 E XB. I read they are an upgrade to the UE900 which scores really really high on his list!! :D
The guys on the Fischer Amps FA-4 E XB thread told me they offered him to test their set but he's really busy. I can sooo understand that =).

they easily outscore every phone I've heard in their price range including the overrated sony ex1000 or sm3 v2 imo

Feb 15, 2014 at 11:19 AM Post #12,941 of 16,931
they easily outscore every phone I've heard in their price range including the overrated sony ex1000 or sm3 v2 imo

I have an EX1000 on loan right now and overrated is not a term I would use anywhere near the EX1000. It has a natural timbre that the FA-4E XB can't even touch and is more dynamic imo, and has a wider range in the way it presents notes. The FA is likely the more detailed of the two, and has a less peaky treble, but there are aspects of the EX1000 that to my ears are far ahead enough that hearing them as overrated in general and compared to the FA-4E XB is a large overstatement if anything.

The FA-4E XB (annoying name to type :p) is a really really really great phone, like I've said before, and I'm sure there are people that would prefer it over the EX1000 (discontinued). I just don't think it has the EX1000 magic and I would buy the EX1000 over the FAs any day of the week PERSONALLY, and twice on Sunday.

Fwiw, I think the Fischer Amps are the safer choice, given low profile, great sound quality, equally amazing comfort, still available, no wind noise haha, but stupid generic custom cable fat plug housing.

Feb 15, 2014 at 11:31 AM Post #12,942 of 16,931
well I have an ex1000 (375 euros due to headfi reviews) and are gathering dust in the case since the fa 4e arrive I don't even find them closer in performance.... I can tell timbre, bass and soundstage are a bit better in the ex1000 but in any other regard the fa 4e destroy them... specially in clarity, detail and separation which I feel They are much superior and I've spent two years with the sony ex1000 8 hours per day before the fa 4e arrived lol

and there is another important thing if you feed the sony ex1000 with good recordings they shine but if not.... meanwhile the fa 4e can sound good 95% of the time with any source and I also can tell I almost listen to every genre of music except classical or mainstream garbage

Feb 15, 2014 at 11:44 AM Post #12,943 of 16,931
I'll give you clarity and detail, but separation I'd probably not give up so quickly. Where the FA-4E layer front to back for separation, the EX1000 do it with stereo separation, left to right:

I think the FAs do things that you find more important better and that's why the EX1000 isn't getting much use. Other people would find bass, timbre, and soundstage more
Important than detail and clarity and so the situation would be reversed.

I just don't know how you can say overrated when you think the EX1000 does some things better than the FA-4E XB. That's what I was saying really.

Feb 15, 2014 at 12:01 PM Post #12,944 of 16,931
[COLOR=000000]I haven’t tried the M100 but for IEMs with plentiful bass in that price range I would recommend:[/color]

[COLOR=000000]Yamaha EPH-100 – solid, deep bass, strong and warm mids, mostly smooth treble with a rise pretty high up[/color]

[COLOR=000000]RHA MA750 – similarly solid bass but with a slightly more v-shaped signature – less mids and more emphasis in the lower treble – compared to the Yamaha[/color]

[COLOR=000000]Dunu DN1000 – a bit less “bassy” in the conventional sense than the two sets above but still pretty powerful. Has a v-shaped signature but with on another level in terms of clarity thanks to the hybrid design.[/color]

[COLOR=000000] [/color]

[COLOR=000000]The EPH-100 is what I’ve recommended in the past for V-Moda M-80 owners and everyone who’s gotten back to me has been happy with it.[/color]

Thanks for the help joker I ended up buying a dn-1000.

Feb 15, 2014 at 12:02 PM Post #12,945 of 16,931
if separation correct if I'm wrong is the quality of an iem to pic any instrument apart from the others i can't see how the sony ex1000 can compete with the other ba iems I've heard in fact to me the sony ex 1000 instrument separation is one of their important weakness, but if you are a fan of great bass quality, big soundstage and natural sound maybe the sony ex1000 are for you but i find the fa 4e not that far to the ex1000 in that regards....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back