Multi-IEM Review - 352 IEMs compared (Pump Audio Earphones added 04/03/16 p. 1106)
Aug 13, 2013 at 11:43 PM Post #11,206 of 16,931
Quote:
Originally Posted by heart banger-97 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

thanks man,
so do you think that does it worth to get those tips (ie8 or MEEElec tips)?
in fact one of my friends wants to buy fxt90, and he's worried about the sound isolation, according to what I've understood, he likes a V sound signature headphone with good isolation and good build quality, according to your review I thought that fxt90 is the best match for him. but I'm kind of worried about the isolation of fxt90. do you know any substitution for this?

thanks

I wouldn't say it's worth it but if every bit of isolation is important, it doesn't hurt to try the aftermarket tips. The JVC FXD80 has better isolation so that might be an option as well. I prefer the sound of the FXT90, though.

Quote:
And how does the VSD1 perform, if compared to the GR06? The gr06 costs just 4-5 usd more than the upper limit of my budget, does this extra worth iso the vsd1?

I know it's cheaper but I actually prefer the VSD1 to the GR06. If you want more forward mids and the over-the-ear form factor, the GR06 might be a better buy but I like the more v-shaped signature of the VSD1. 

Quote:
Hey, I was wondering if the soundmagic E10 would be the clearest sounding headphones at that price range? I've been looking around for a few days and have seen these recommended many times. Also, will I notice a difference between the soundmagic and my current ( the newer default earbuds)?

Thanks a lot.

The E10 is a nice and inoffensive earphone. It's a popular recommendation for a "first step" because it combines good clarity with punchy bass and is neither overly unforgiving nor too dark. I even included it in my concise buyer's guide, for this reason and because it's readily available in many countries.

However, if you're purely after clarity, there are better options, like the recently-reviewed ETY-Kids, the LG Quadbeat, or the VSonic VC02. 

Aug 14, 2013 at 4:47 AM Post #11,208 of 16,931
Quote:

However, if you're purely after clarity, there are better options, like the recently-reviewed ETY-Kids, the LG Quadbeat, or the VSonic VC02. 

VC02 is really marvelous. I previously wrote something on how I stuffed some paper in the nozzles to deal with the sibilance. After listening some to them they weren't as clear as I remembered. So I took the paper out and REALLY PUSHED them as far into my ears as I could. I guess that extra mm had something to do with it but I'm not experiencing as much sibilance now. It took a few seconds to get them in there, moving slowly and just imaging the air pressure on my eardrum. It felt more like a medical procedure than preparing for enjoying music. But oh boy was it worth it!

Aug 14, 2013 at 5:16 AM Post #11,209 of 16,931
Hey ljokerl, just wanted to show some appreciation here.  I was looking for a cheap pair of IEM for jogging about 2 years ago when I stumble upon this thread, and bought the Meelectronic M6 based on your review.  Now I am looking for an upgrade for office use, and have decided on the Astrotec AM-800 based on your review and recommendation ("Buyer's Guide").  Awesome work reviewing all these IEMs, and thank you.

Since I can't find direct references between these two sets, any major differences that I should prepared for before the order gets here?

Aug 14, 2013 at 10:00 AM Post #11,210 of 16,931
Quote:

I wouldn't say it's worth it but if every bit of isolation is important, it doesn't hurt to try the aftermarket tips. The JVC FXD80 has better isolation so that might be an option as well. I prefer the sound of the FXT90, though.

I have used the gold edition of FXT-90 for 4 months ... I would say the isolation is good enough for me.  I listen to songs at a medium volume and most of the time I can't hear external noise (when the music is on) - that is something when I walk in a crowded Hong Kong street :p

Aug 14, 2013 at 11:14 AM Post #11,211 of 16,931
Joker, if you get a chance, I think it would be worthwhile to review the Zero Audio Carbo Basso, Zero Audio Carbo Tenore, and new and improved NuForce NE-700X.  They could outperform your top performers under $70 (Ultimate Ears UE600, VSonic GR06, VSonic VC02).

Aug 14, 2013 at 11:50 AM Post #11,212 of 16,931
Quote:

VC02 is really marvelous. I previously wrote something on how I stuffed some paper in the nozzles to deal with the sibilance. After listening some to them they weren't as clear as I remembered. So I took the paper out and REALLY PUSHED them as far into my ears as I could. I guess that extra mm had something to do with it but I'm not experiencing as much sibilance now. It took a few seconds to get them in there, moving slowly and just imaging the air pressure on my eardrum. It felt more like a medical procedure than preparing for enjoying music. But oh boy was it worth it!

They do seem to like a deeper seal. Glad you're enjoying them!

Quote:
Hey ljokerl, just wanted to show some appreciation here.  I was looking for a cheap pair of IEM for jogging about 2 years ago when I stumble upon this thread, and bought the Meelectronic M6 based on your review.  Now I am looking for an upgrade for office use, and have decided on the Astrotec AM-800 based on your review and recommendation ("Buyer's Guide").  Awesome work reviewing all these IEMs, and thank you.

Since I can't find direct references between these two sets, any major differences that I should prepared for before the order gets here?

The M6 is nice but lacks the refinement of higher-end sets. My guess is you'll most notice the clarity improvement and the less recessed mids. 

Quote:

I have used the gold edition of FXT-90 for 4 months ... I would say the isolation is good enough for me.  I listen to songs at a medium volume and most of the time I can't hear external noise (when the music is on) - that is something when I walk in a crowded Hong Kong street :p

It was good enough for me as well - I expected worse when I first saw it.

Quote:
Joker, if you get a chance, I think it would be worthwhile to review the Zero Audio Carbo Basso, Zero Audio Carbo Tenore, and new and improved NuForce NE-700X.  They could outperform your top performers under $70 (Ultimate Ears UE600, VSonic GR06, VSonic VC02).

I was supposed to get a new NE-700X when it came out. Nuforce was calling it a major improvement. Not sure what happened to that. As for the rest, I'll keep them in mind.

Aug 14, 2013 at 1:27 PM Post #11,213 of 16,931
Quote:

are you sure about ue600 ?

Aug 15, 2013 at 1:58 AM Post #11,214 of 16,931
Hey Joker,
Do you think that UE600 has better bass than PFEs in both quality and quantity-wise? Thank you. Btw, you do a such great work.
beerchug.gif

Aug 15, 2013 at 3:43 AM Post #11,216 of 16,931
Quote:
Hey Joker,
Do you think that UE600 has better bass than PFEs in both quality and quantity-wise? Thank you. Btw, you do a such great work.
beerchug.gif

Nope, I think the UE600 is at best on-par with the PFE in terms of bass quantity and quality but also has the disadvantage of poorer consistency between sources. You need a source with very low output impedance to experience the bass of the UE 600 at its best.

Aug 15, 2013 at 9:16 AM Post #11,218 of 16,931
I see your point, however I like to consider build quality and accessories as well. And the GR06 seems to better than VSD1 in this.

My only concern is that I do not like the 90 degree jack, the cable gets really easily broken. I listen music from my htc one x with jack plug on it`s top, and put it in my pocket.Using that with a 90 degree jack is just a cable killer!

Do you might have any other recommendations around 60 usd with a comfortable shell (possibly not plastic), linear jack, ideal for the above mentioned music, mainly rock?

Aug 15, 2013 at 5:47 PM Post #11,220 of 16,931
Hey Joker,

First of all, great work you've done in this thread and on your own site reviewing so many different IEMs. If you don't mind, I'd like to ask you for some advice.

I currently own the Shure SE530. Have owned these for about 4 years now. I'm anything but an audio expert and lack the vocabulary to accurately describe how they sound to me. I do like how they sound, though. I listen to various styles of music of which not all of them neatly fit into a specific category. But I can really enjoy Pink Floyd / David Gilmour, the guitar solos can give me goosebumps at times when listening through the SE530s. Or when listening to the song Spies by Coldplay (from their first Parachutes album), the opening guitar riff sounds really great and when the vocals kick in it's really something to behold. In addition to all that, the queer vocals with the mildly depressing tunes from Radiohead can also give me shivers at times when listening to them through the SE530s.

I also listen to a lot of electronic music though, such as for instance Underworld, Kruder & Dorfmeister, Tosca and Thievery Corporation. And other than that, depending on my mood I might put on some reggae, hip-hop, ambient, Hans Zimmer soundtracks, etc.

I usually only listen to FLAC and use an iPod classic modded with Rockbox firmware as my main listening source. Don't use any headphone amps as I feel like the Shure doesn't really need it. I have the EQ slightly V-shaped as I overall prefer a somewhat warmer sound (I'm not a basshead, but I do appreciate a nice full bass).

So after 4 years I feel like it's time to try something else. I'm looking in the € 400 / $ 500 price range. I'm wondering if there are IEMs out there that will retain the goodness of the SE530, yet add more other stuff as well, such as perhaps more detail, more instrumental separation, a wider soundstage (the SE530s sometimes do sound as if the music is right in the center of my head) and maybe even more/better bass? I'm not necessarily a treble head and the rolled-off treble everyone talks about has never really bothered me. But honestly, the SE530s were my first high-end IEM purchase, before that it was always low-budget stuff so the SE530 is also my only point of reference and I don't really know what I might be missing out on :)

Based on what I've read in this thread I've come up with Westone 4R, Earsonics SM64, UE900, Audeo PFE232, J Phonic K2 SP, 1964 Ears and perhaps other ones I haven't seen. I'm just not really sure how they compare to the SE530 and which ones I'd actually like. And here in the Netherlands most stores don't allow you to return IEMs once you've used them so it's not like I can try them all out myself :frowning2:

So can you perhaps give me a recommendation? I would greatly appreciate that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back