Multi-IEM Review - 352 IEMs compared (Pump Audio Earphones added 04/03/16 p. 1106)
Aug 12, 2013 at 3:00 AM Post #11,192 of 16,931
Quote:
For a ~$100 IEM, what would be your choice and why: Brainwavz B2 or HifiMan RE-400?

That's actually a tough question.  I know you were asking |Joker|.  I personally have to choose the RE-400.  It's an easier IEM for me to digest and it offers great imaging, ample treble detailing and presence, good mids and bass as well.  It's been a while since I put in my B2 though.  Both a really, more or less great IEMs.  It's basically a more treble-happy phone vs a warmer phone XD

Aug 12, 2013 at 3:27 AM Post #11,193 of 16,931
Quote:

That's actually a tough question.  I know you were asking |Joker|.  I personally have to choose the RE-400.  It's an easier IEM for me to digest and it offers great imaging, ample treble detailing and presence, good mids and bass as well.  It's been a while since I put in my B2 though.  Both a really, more or less great IEMs.  It's basically a more treble-happy phone vs a warmer phone XD

Thanks!

It looks like the Philips Fidelio S1 might be a good choice as well.  Thoughts?

Aug 12, 2013 at 3:51 AM Post #11,194 of 16,931
Quote:
Haha yea. The IE800, oh man, I have no doubt that if I had walked into a bar with them and went, "here listen to this." I wouldn't be leaving alone.

Only if it's the bar at CanJam.

Quote:
Ok sorry if I sound a little clueless because I am but I think I'm going with the RHA MA350 I hear really good about the bass hope I'm not unsatisfied but they have to be better than Skullcandy Inkd LOL

They have good bass, just make sure to get a good fit with them or you'll lose out on the sound quality. 

Quote:
some questions regarding the JVC HA-FXT90...
is the fit snug? or does it fall out of the ear with cable movement.....?
does the design provide a more secure fit than the id America Spark, for example, or less?
and is it harsh/sibilant a-la Klipsch S4? (i hate the S4's treble)
thank you so much.....

It depends on your ear, I suppose. I had no issues whatsoever with the fit of the FXT90 but it is larger than the Spark/S4. 

It is not the smoothest earphone but definitely not as harsh/sibilant as the S4. Should be close to the Spark.

Quote:
For a ~$100 IEM, what would be your choice and why: Brainwavz B2 or HifiMan RE-400?

Quote:
It looks like the Philips Fidelio S1 might be a good choice as well.  Thoughts?

It depends on what you're after. The RE-400 is the smoothest of the three with very slightly boosted mid-bass for a warmer tone. The S1 has very linear bass with better deep bass presence than the RE-400 but it also has treble that's brighter and less forgiving and a presentation that's more distant compared to the RE-400. The B2 is the brightest of the three with superb clarity, but perhaps not as 'safe' an option as the other two unless you know you prefer a leaner type of sound. All three are great options in my book and just offer slightly different interpretations of a balanced sound signature. 

Aug 12, 2013 at 7:00 AM Post #11,195 of 16,931
Hi joker,
Own RE400 - enjoy it mainly  with my jazz , vocal and acoustic recordings,  but I want some another IEM with more bass quantity and accuracy too. Have 100 usd for it .
I have opportunity to buy EPH100 for some 100 usd incl. shipping. Are these hitting the bass like on Stones (I mean Charlie and Darryl...) live concert in Montenegro, Budva beach 2007? 
smile.gif

Or CC51 for 30 usd? Or....

Aug 12, 2013 at 7:43 AM Post #11,197 of 16,931
Quote:
Hi joker,
Own RE400 - enjoy it mainly  with my jazz , vocal and acoustic recordings,  but I want some another IEM with more bass quantity and accuracy too. Have 100 usd for it .
I have opportunity to buy EPH100 for some 100 usd incl. shipping. Are these hitting the bass like on Stones (I mean Charlie and Darryl...) live concert in Montenegro, Budva beach 2007? 
smile.gif

cc51 has bass , but might not be able compliment your re-400 when it comes to clarity and accuracy , its inferior to re-400 in every aspect except bass . but then its far more price efficient . you can bag it , as one of the best value for money phone . i would suggest the hisound crystal , havent heard eph100 sadly .

Aug 12, 2013 at 8:08 AM Post #11,198 of 16,931
Hi ljokerl!
Do you recommend any specific tip, to improve sound isolation of fxt90?

If anybody can helps I appreciate that too. :)
Thanks

Aug 13, 2013 at 12:23 AM Post #11,199 of 16,931
hi there I was advised to look at this thread for some good advices. I'm looking for a new IEM to replace my dying sennheiser cx300. The budget is max 60 USD. I mainly listen to rock, classic rock, metal (rhytmic). Some main names: Creedence clearwater revival, Foghat, Billy Idol, John Petrucci, Elvenking, Kansas, Motley Crude, Gary Moore, Kiss, Trivium, Bon Jovi, Foreigner, REO Speedwagon, Styx, Guano Apes, Metallica, Lordi, Queen, Bob Marley, RHCP, 3 doors down, ACDC, Alice Cooper, Bad COmpany, Black Sabbath, Deep Purple, Disturbed, Nightwish, Pantera, Seether, ZZ Top Could you please offer me something which would fit to this type of music, at a maximum price of 60 USD? I was told to check the VSonic VSD1, or the Sony MH1C. The Vsonic looks better to me, but is there any other best offer ?

Aug 13, 2013 at 1:10 AM Post #11,200 of 16,931
Quote:
Hi joker,
smile.gif

The EPH-100 has plenty of bass; it's nothing like the RE-400, so it would be a good compliment. Definitely worth $100 if you're looking for a bassier - but not overly bloated - IEM. The CC51 is somewhere between the two in bass quantity but not quite as good overall.

Quote:
Hi ljokerl!

If anybody can helps I appreciate that too.
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks

There won't be a big difference becase the FXT90 is kind of limited in isolation by the way it fits but a short bi-flange tip works pretty well. You can get Sennheiser ones for the IE7/IE8 or the ones from the MEElec M11+. 

Quote:
hi there I was advised to look at this thread for some good advices. I'm looking for a new IEM to replace my dying sennheiser cx300. The budget is max 60 USD. I mainly listen to rock, classic rock, metal (rhytmic). Some main names: Creedence clearwater revival, Foghat, Billy Idol, John Petrucci, Elvenking, Kansas, Motley Crude, Gary Moore, Kiss, Trivium, Bon Jovi, Foreigner, REO Speedwagon, Styx, Guano Apes, Metallica, Lordi, Queen, Bob Marley, RHCP, 3 doors down, ACDC, Alice Cooper, Bad COmpany, Black Sabbath, Deep Purple, Disturbed, Nightwish, Pantera, Seether, ZZ Top Could you please offer me something which would fit to this type of music, at a maximum price of 60 USD? I was told to check the VSonic VSD1, or the Sony MH1C. The Vsonic looks better to me, but is there any other best offer ?

The VSonic VSD1 is pretty awesome. Punchy, controlled bass and crisp, prominent treble. It'll be a great match for your music for the price. The MH1C is more similar to the CX300 in sound signature - warm and smooth, with more bass than the VSD1. It's also pretty great and the smoother treble would be an asset if you listen at higher volumes but I prefer the tighter, brighter VSD1 personally, especially for rock and metal.

Aug 13, 2013 at 2:29 AM Post #11,201 of 16,931
Added the Etymotic Research ETYKids

(3B40) Etymotic Research ETY-Kids 5 / 3

Reviewed Aug 2013

Details: Etymotic’s volume-limiting safe listening earphones
Current Price: $30 from amazon.com (MSRP: $49); $79 for ETY-Kids 3 with 3-button remote and microphone
Specs: Driver: Dynamic | Imp: 300Ω | Sens: N/A | Freq: 20-15k Hz | Cable: 4’ 45º-plug
Nozzle Size: 2.5mm | Preferred tips: Stock triple-flanges, Shure Olives
Wear Style: Straight down or over-the-ear

Accessories (3.5/5) – Triple-flange silicone tips (2 sizes), Etymotic Glider tips, shirt clip, and zippered soft carrying pouch
Build Quality (4.5/5) –Though the ETY-Kids are lightweight and made of plastic, the cords are Kevlar-reinforced and well-relieved all around. The cabling is very flexible and doesn’t stick or tangle, making the entry-level Etys feel like a quality product
Isolation (4/5) – Typical of Ety earphones, isolation doesn’t get much better than this
Microphonics (4/5) – Quite low when worn cable-down, nonexistent with over-the-ear wear
Comfort (4/5) –The slim housings don’t put pressure on the outer ear and the cable exit angle works well for over-the-ear wear. The included assortment of tips is on the smaller side but it should fit most listeners comfortably as long as they don’t mind the deeper fit of Etymotic earphones

Sound (7.6/10) – The ETY-Kids are the second dynamic-driver earphone from Etymotic Research and the company’s most budget-friendly set yet, marketed to parents as a child-friendly safe hearing model. Volume-limiting earphones are not a novel concept - we’ve previously seen similar designs from brands such as Ultimate Ears and Harman-owned dB Logic. The ETY-Kids achieve this with their 300Ω impedance, which makes it difficult to power the earphone to dangerous volume levels. Unlike headphones with dB Logic’s SPL2 technology, the Etys will still hit high volumes when driven with a powerful enough source, but they do a good job limiting output with conventional mp3 players.

The limited volume of the Etys should be sufficient for most Head-Fiers. At worst, it is a minor inconvenience to turn up the volume, and on more powerful sources such as my desktop amp and HiFiMan HM-901, it is barely noticeable that the volume pot needs another ¼ turn. More importantly the ETY-Kids, low price and all, sound very much like an Ety should. The bass is tight and clean, albeit a touch rolled-off at the bottom. This means the ETY-Kids won’t produce the type of deep, rumbling bass the Beats by Dre generation may be expecting, but it also keeps the tone neutral and midrange free of bleed. In comparison, the VSonic VC02 has slightly punchier bass but keeps it just as clean and controlled as the Etys while the warmer, bassier VSonic VSD1 sounds a bit more bloated.

The midrange of the ETY-Kids is likewise clear and neutral, bumped slightly in presence to make vocals more prominent and intelligible. Due to this, and because of the lack of bass and treble emphasis, the Etys can sound a bit mid-centric – more so, for example, than the VSonic VC02. On the other hand, the fantastic midrange clarity means there is no need to turn the earphones up to discern vocals, which fits nicely in with the whole “safe hearing” push. The ETY-Kids are clearer even than the balanced armature Astrotec AM-90, though they lack some of the warmth and fullness of the Astrotecs as well.

The treble of the ETY-Kids is nicely filled in, though it seems to lack a bit of extension and presence next to the higher-end armature-based Ety models. It is smoother than the treble of the VSonic VC02 and VSD1 but not as smooth as the similarly-priced balanced armature sets from Astrotec and Rock-It sounds. The overall tone of the Etys is a bit on the cool side and the presentation tends to be a little laid-back. Soundstage depth and overall dynamics could be better, but for the price the junior Etys do a great job.

Value (9.5/10) – The ETY-Kids name may be off-putting to some but there is nothing childish about the design or sound of these earphones. Like all things Etymotic, the ETY-Kids are well-built, highly isolating, and boast sound that is clear, accurate, and neutral, though for some listeners perhaps lacking in desired bass presence. They promote hearing safety with a combination of immense noise isolation and volume-limiting impedance. All in all, the ETY-Kids are a great entry-level audiophile IEM that – we can only hope – will help introduce the next generation to Etymotic’s signature sound.

Pros: Stellar noise isolation; solid build quality; clear, balanced, and accurate sound
Cons: Deep-insertion form factor can take some getting used to for new users. Volume-limiting design may be undesirable for some

Aug 13, 2013 at 10:23 AM Post #11,202 of 16,931
Quote:
Hi ljokerl!

If anybody can helps I appreciate that too.
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks

Quote:

There won't be a big difference becase the FXT90 is kind of limited in isolation by the way it fits but a short bi-flange tip works pretty well. You can get Sennheiser ones for the IE7/IE8 or the ones from the MEElec M11+. 

thanks man,
so do you think that does it worth to get those tips (ie8 or MEEElec tips)?
in fact one of my friends wants to buy fxt90, and he's worried about the sound isolation, according to what I've understood, he likes a V sound signature headphone with good isolation and good build quality, according to your review I thought that fxt90 is the best match for him. but I'm kind of worried about the isolation of fxt90. do you know any substitution for this?

thanks

Aug 13, 2013 at 11:54 AM Post #11,203 of 16,931
The EPH-100 has plenty of bass; it's nothing like the RE-400, so it would be a good compliment. Definitely worth $100 if you're looking for a bassier - but not overly bloated - IEM. The CC51 is somewhere between the two in bass quantity but not quite as good overall.

The VSonic VSD1 is pretty awesome. Punchy, controlled bass and crisp, prominent treble. It'll be a great match for your music for the price. The MH1C is more similar to the CX300 in sound signature - warm and smooth, with more bass than the VSD1. It's also pretty great and the smoother treble would be an asset if you listen at higher volumes but I prefer the tighter, brighter VSD1 personally, especially for rock and metal.

And how does the VSD1 perform, if compared to the GR06? The gr06 costs just 4-5 usd more than the upper limit of my budget, does this extra worth iso the vsd1?

Aug 13, 2013 at 7:49 PM Post #11,204 of 16,931
Hey, I was wondering if the soundmagic E10 would be the clearest sounding headphones at that price range? I've been looking around for a few days and have seen these recommended many times. Also, will I notice a difference between the soundmagic and my current ( the newer default earbuds)?

Thanks a lot.

Aug 13, 2013 at 8:03 PM Post #11,205 of 16,931
Quote:
Hey, I was wondering if the soundmagic E10 would be the clearest sounding headphones at that price range? I've been looking around for a few days and have seen these recommended many times. Also, will I notice a difference between the soundmagic and my current ( the newer default earbuds)?

Thanks a lot.

please look at that http://www.head-fi.org/t/541204/concise-multi-iem-comparison-final-update-march-1st-2013
E10 - have balanced sound signature, not basshead or bassier

Users who are viewing this thread

Back