Multi-IEM Review - 352 IEMs compared (Pump Audio Earphones added 04/03/16 p. 1106)
Aug 9, 2013 at 2:57 AM Post #11,161 of 16,931
Quote:
While I do consider the VSonic and HiFiMan to be upgrades over those two, you may be surprised how close the Sony/LG already are to the good $100-200 earphones. Anyway, you should expect something along these lines:

RE-400: good if you like the clarity and more neutral tone of the Quadbeat over the warmer, fuller sound of the MH1C. It won't have the bass depth of the Sony or the soundstage width of the LG, but it makes up for it with a balanced and neutral presentation, treble smoothness, and very clean bass.
GR07BE: bassier than the RE-400 but also has more prominent treble a-la Quadbeat. Wider presentation than the RE-400 but the top end is not as smooth.

Hmmm... While i do love the energetic quadbeat and a little eqing gets me to a completely comfortable bass levels, but the truth is i end up keeping MH1c more in the ears than the LG, so now building up from here, i find MH1C a touch warm, so does something comes off your mind which retains the fatigue free character of the MH1c but improves upon clarity? I love the thump though...
basshead.gif

Aug 9, 2013 at 3:23 AM Post #11,162 of 16,931
More short impressions of IEMs I probably won't review in full (thanks to jekostas for the reminder)

Quote:
I promised to post updates on IEMs in my possession that I don't plan to review due to lack of time. Most of these are simply unexciting but in keeping with my promise I'll post short thoughts and add them to the list on the front page of the thread.

Air Buds - http://www.air-buds.com/product/air-buds-ear-buds/

The foam tips are quite comfortable (though I think Complys are better) but other than that these are pretty generic. Build quality is not bad but the flat cable is a little noisy when worn down. Sound has lots of mid-bass and is pretty veiled overall, with a distinct hollow quality. Solid deep bass is lacking and the top end isn't all that smooth. There are better options, even with comfort in mind - the dB Logic EP-100 plus Shure Olives, still the most comfortable budget IEMs I've tried, or the PNY Uptown/Midtown, for example.

Final Audio Adagio III - http://final-audio-design.com/en/archives/898

Very unique-looking design with different-colored left and right plastic earphones that somehow still look classy. Nice and lightweight fit with Final Audio's usual smooth and non-microphonic cabling. Generally a pleasure in everyday use. Sonically, though, they have some issues. Bass has nice impact and depth but there's a bit too much mid/upper bass presence, causing it to sound slightly boomy and bleed into the midrange. Sets like the RBH EP1 and PNY Midtown sound cleaner and tighter overall because the focus is on the sub-bass more so than the mid-bass. The midrange is prominent and has good clarity but there is an unusual coloration. Some may enjoy it but I would prefer smoother mids. The top end could also be flatter for my taste - it starts out strong, even a little harsh, but seems to lack the refinement and extension of comparable sets such as the Philips Fidelio S1. The Adagio is an interesting earphone but ultimately it's coloration didn't do much for me. I'd rather listen to the Sony MH1C. 

HiSoundAudio HiPhone 4 - http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hisoundaudio-Hiphone-4-Red-HiFi-Grade-Earphones-for-Apple-iPhone-/380412961491

Generic-looking earphone with metal housings and plasticky cables. Sounds much better than it looks, though. Lots of bass gives it a warm overall tone but the low end extends nicely and the sound is pleasant overall. Could use better bass control and more midrange clarity to be truly competitive but it's better than most other bassy sets in the $40 range.

Noontec Rio - http://en.noontec.com/En/Products/MusicalHeadphone/rio.html

Very nice packaging and the earphones themselves seem well-built and nicely designed. The sound is yet again heavy on the deep bass a-la the RHA MA-350/450i and HiSound HiPhone. In this case there's too much bass and not enough midrange to keep up. In addition, the upper midrange seems overemphasized. Not a good combination - it makes the earphones sound both muffled and hollow at the same time. This one is best avoided. 

Phiaton Moderna MS 200 - http://phiaton.com/moderna-ms-200

I'm a long-time fan of Phiaton products - the bold aesthetic and generally pleasant sound easily wins me over, and the MS 200 is no exception - carbon fiber on the plug and earpieces, plus red accents and cables, all look very sharp. The build is nice, too, with well-integrated strain reliefs and slightly flattened cable. The sound is bassy, as with most Phiaton products, and a little boomy but the midrange and treble are not overly recessed. The MS 200 is not a neutral-sounding earphone but it's not as annoyingly unnatural as the Noontec Rio, for example. The biggest problem is that I'm not convinced that it is superior to the cheaper PS 20 model, and it generally struggles to keep up with the far cheaper Sony MH1C. The $120 price tag is hard to swallow unless aesthetic is key.

RHA MA-450i - http://www.rha-audio.com/us/ma450i-black.html
Very similar to the MA-350 reviewed already in this thread. Sound is a hair clearer and it adds a 3-button remote and a couple of extra eartips. Build quality is excellent as with the MA-350. Quite nice for the price for those who need a sturdy, bassy earphone with a 3-button remote but not different enough from the MA-350 for a separate review at this time.

RHA MA-150

Entry-level RHA earphones. Much wimpier in build and lacks the sub-bass emphasis, tight mid-bass, and clarity that make the MA-350/MA-450i special. Bass is more intrusive in comparison and the mids seem more veiled. Not bad for the price but not the best option, either.

Torque t103z - http://www.torque-audio.com/products-headphones/t103z-headphones/

Incredibly well-done packaging and fantastic design and construction overall reminiscent of the $1300 AKG K3003. The fit is reminiscent of the K3003 as well except that these are actually lighter and more comfortable. Seems that a lot of engineering work went into the way these look and function. There is also a tuning system where the entire nozzle can be unscrewed and swapped for one of two other ones. There are three tunings to choose from - "reference" for "flat" sound, "clear" for a brighter tone, and "deep" for enhanced bass. The good news is that the tuning system works and drastically changes the sound. The bad news is that all three tunings sound like crap.

The "reference" tuning has horribly veiled mids, reminding me of the $25 TDK MT300 and making the Sony MH1C sound like a top-tier earphone. Unacceptable. The bass-heavy "deep" tuning still has veiled mids and slightly more bass but mostly it just cuts the treble quantity even more, resulting in a very dull sound. Equally unacceptable. The "clear" tuning is the most tolerable of the bunch. However, it rolls off the bass and loses impact compared to the "deep" filter. Tonally, the "clear" filter leans a bit too far towards brightness and sounds a bass-light even next to the decidedly un-bassy VSonic VC02. Overall, the "clear" tuning is tolerable, even pleasant at low to moderate volumes, but doesn't justify the $180 price tag. Avoid.

The following are rather enjoyable and will get a full review if I can find the time in the near future.

PNY Midtown 200 Series - http://www3.pny.com/Midtown-200-Series-Earphone-with-Mic-BlackSilver-P3150C514.aspx

Very small and comfortable form factor with good build quality. Cables are especially nice on these - internally twisted, with a clear outer sheath a-la MEElec cords. The stock tips are of very nice quality as well. The Midtown has a mic and 1-button remote.

Sound is nice and clear, with enhanced bass and good deep bass presence. Overall tone has a warm tilt but not overly so. The Sony MH1C is, in comparison, a little tighter in terms of bass bass, boasts a thicker note, and has a more spacious presentation but it's not far ahead. These seem to be <$25 from many retailers and are a good buy.

PNY Uptown 200 Series - http://www3.pny.com/-Uptown-200-Series-Earphone-with-Apple-Controller-Black-font-colordc0431Special-Offerfont-P3151C514.aspx

Same form factor and build as the Midtown but with slightly more balanced sound. Adds a 3-button Apple remote as well. Compared to the Midtown, clarity is slightly better and bass impact is reduced. Very likable sound overall and really quite good for the price.

RBH EP1 - http://rbhsound.com/ep1.php

RBH is one of the many home audio manufacturers investing in headphones these days. The build quality of the EP1 is nice, with a metal housing and cloth cable, and makes up for the somewhat lackluster half in-ear design. The earphone sounds quite good, too - the bass is solid but not overbearing. Depth and control are both good. The mids are clear and not recessed. Treble is generally smooth, though some unevenness is noticeable, especially at higher volumes. Overall it might not quite be on-par with the RE-400 or Philips Fidelio S2 but definitely closer to that level than the mid-tier VSonic GR06/Sony MH1C and the like. 

Quote:
Hmmm... While i do love the energetic quadbeat and a little eqing gets me to a completely comfortable bass levels, but the truth is i end up keeping MH1c more in the ears than the LG, so now building up from here, i find MH1C a touch warm, so does something comes off your mind which retains the fatigue free character of the MH1c but improves upon clarity? I love the thump though...
basshead.gif

Hmm. The GR07BE has the thump but not the fatigue-free character. The Yamaha EPH-100 has smoother treble and better clarity than the MH1C but also a bit more bass. Perhaps the RBH EP1 mentioned above - quick A:B with the MH1C and it has all of the bass thump but with significantly better clarity 
wink.gif

Aug 9, 2013 at 7:54 AM Post #11,163 of 16,931
Hello, I'm currently looking for a new IEM to replace my Sony MH1C. I really liked its sound signature, being musical and all. I mostly listen to pop, dance & some rock. Can you guys provide me options?

What I need is a bass-centric iem that effortlessly produces deep THUMPING (I needed more thump coming from MH1C) but QUALITY bass at the same time w/o the use of external amps. That is of course w/o sacrificing the overall sound quality. Big soundstage and better instrument separation is also needed. To make it short, I need the best basshead iems below $150.

Per reviews posted, I'm currently looking at these :

- Sony XB90EX
- ATH-CKS99
- Yamaha EPH-100
- Denon AH-C300

How do they compare? If you guys know a better basshead iem than these feel free to post it here. Thanks in advance!

Aug 9, 2013 at 2:49 PM Post #11,164 of 16,931
Hello, I'm currently looking for a new IEM to replace my Sony MH1C. I really liked its sound signature, being musical and all. I mostly listen to pop, dance & some rock. Can you guys provide me options?

What I need is a bass-centric iem that effortlessly produces deep THUMPING (I needed more thump coming from MH1C) but QUALITY bass at the same time w/o the use of external amps. That is of course w/o sacrificing the overall sound quality. Big soundstage and better instrument separation is also needed. To make it short, I need the best basshead iems below $150.

- Sony XB90EX
- ATH-CKS99
- Yamaha EPH-100
- Denon AH-C300

How do they compare? If you guys know a better basshead iem than these feel free to post it here. Thanks in advance!

The Dunu Tai-Chi might be a good choice for you if you want thumping bass.

|Joker| has already done a review of them too (2B20)

Aug 9, 2013 at 3:00 PM Post #11,166 of 16,931
Quote:
Hello, I'm currently looking for a new IEM to replace my Sony MH1C. I really liked its sound signature, being musical and all. I mostly listen to pop, dance & some rock. Can you guys provide me options?

What I need is a bass-centric iem that effortlessly produces deep THUMPING (I needed more thump coming from MH1C) but QUALITY bass at the same time w/o the use of external amps. That is of course w/o sacrificing the overall sound quality. Big soundstage and better instrument separation is also needed. To make it short, I need the best basshead iems below $150.

- Sony XB90EX
- ATH-CKS99
- Yamaha EPH-100
- Denon AH-C300

audition a xb90ex at the nearest sony center , cks99 has huge bass , a bit of midbass hump but its good enough , and the ahc-300 has plenty of bass too .

Aug 9, 2013 at 5:12 PM Post #11,168 of 16,931
Quote:
Never heard of PNY.

Joker, would you be willing to comment on the "sound" or "value" rating of these a bit early?
It seems both the uptown and midtown are $16 or so, are they worth a shot?

PNY is a computer equipment manufacturer - video cards, memory and the like.  They've been around for quite a while but I think the headphone selection is quite new.

Aug 10, 2013 at 12:01 AM Post #11,169 of 16,931
Quote:

- Sony XB90EX
- ATH-CKS99
- Yamaha EPH-100
- Denon AH-C300

Out of these I'm only familiar with the EPH-100, and I like it. It's bassier than the MH1C but I probably wouldn't classify either as a true basshead earphone. The presentation is nice and the bass is definitely solid, just not overwhelming.

Quote:
Never heard of PNY.

Joker, would you be willing to comment on the "sound" or "value" rating of these a bit early?
It seems both the uptown and midtown are $16 or so, are they worth a shot?

Yep, I would say definitely worth a shot for a warmer but not overly thick sound. I would expect a sound score in the mid-upper 7.x range and a value score (at $16) in the 9-10 range. 

Aug 10, 2013 at 4:41 AM Post #11,171 of 16,931
The VSONIC GR99 and its luxury edition are essentialy the same right? I am planning to buy those IEM, and I found them here (http://www.ebay.es/itm/261131530551) at a good price with a lot of accessories, so i think they are a good deal taking into account the great review they have here.

Aug 10, 2013 at 12:00 PM Post #11,172 of 16,931
Quote:
Awesome,
Thanks. Placed an order, maybe they'll replace my UE200s as my EDC IEMs.

Cool, you might be the second person on Head-Fi to own a set. Did you grab the Midtown or the Uptown?

Quote:
The VSONIC GR99 and its luxury edition are essentialy the same right? I am planning to buy those IEM, and I found them here (http://www.ebay.es/itm/261131530551) at a good price with a lot of accessories, so i think they are a good deal taking into account the great review they have here.

Never heard of the luxury edition but it looks the same as my GR99. I wonder if some resellers are just making up editions of VSonic earphones as they go.

Aug 10, 2013 at 1:57 PM Post #11,174 of 16,931
Joker, have you tried the 1964 Ears V6?
Am curious over the comparisons with the higher end universals, i.e K3003 and TG334,
and also how it fairs against the top CIEMS given the V6 more reasonable pricing =)

Aug 10, 2013 at 2:49 PM Post #11,175 of 16,931
Cool, you might be the second person on Head-Fi to own a set. Did you grab the Midtown or the Uptown?

Never heard of the luxury edition but it looks the same as my GR99. I wonder if some resellers are just making up editions of VSonic earphones as they go.

Finally I will probably buy the GR02 bass edition. Is lendmeurears reliable and do they send to europe?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back