Multi-IEM Review - 352 IEMs compared (Pump Audio Earphones added 04/03/16 p. 1106)
Oct 14, 2010 at 9:50 PM Post #931 of 16,931

Quote:
Well, remember, IEMs have to fit in your ear canal.  They don't have infinite space to play with.  I also don't think that dynamics have necessarily won anything.  They are more plentiful but so are Accords and Camrys.

Wankel rotors 4 lyfe

Oct 15, 2010 at 12:16 AM Post #932 of 16,931

Quote:
Not that surprising considering Sleek wouldn't even send me an SA1 to demo. Had to get my own to see what they were hiding. I've actually tried trading for the SA6 a couple of times in the past (especially back when I had a score of high-end single-armature IEMs in my possession) but it's never worked out. Perhaps I'll get to try the SA6R/SA7 but perhaps not. Keeping pretty busy as is and more interested in the RE262, Xcape, FA Genesis/new dual-driver, etc. 

You mentioned THE word and i tracked it.

joker + genesis = killer combo.

Oct 15, 2010 at 12:43 AM Post #933 of 16,931
Quote:
Perhaps you might wanna try reviewing the Final Audios~ That will be a justice for us seeing that how EXPPP they really are, One of the few rare brands that makes even Monster Cable hands down on their expensiveness on their product pricing~ =S

I remember james saying something about possibly lending his FA out when he was done with it so that might actually happen. I'm certainly curious as I've never heard an FAD product before.

Quote:
Hey joker how are the silver bullets compared to the brainwavz m1? Can you post some detailed thoughts.. including the comfort aspects and build quality comparison? Im thinking of the silver bullets to upgrade to from the brainwavz.. thanks alot dude. I can't thank you enough for the M1s and the PL30s
wink.gif

I think that the M1 is both more comfy and better-built than the SB overall, but only slightly. The cable is strong even though it lacks strain relief and the shells are time-tested (read: ancient design) on the M1. They are a bit larger than the SB in diameter but rounded at the front and the nozzle is a little longer. Plus they sound good with bi-flange tips which means the housing never really touches my ear when I wear them. For sound though I'd have to say the SB has a leg up in many aspects. It's the more spacious-sounding of the two, has better extension on either end, and seems to have slightly better dynamics (though the M1 is still very impressive). I have to say that because the note of the SB is a bit 'rounded', the M1 does sound more crisp, especially in the midrange. Strings have the right 'twang' and piano notes actually have impact. I think Inks might be able to do a better sound comparison than I since he's had my M1s for a while and has definitely spent time comparing the two
wink_face.gif

Quote:
Speaking of the RE262.  I might have one heading your way in the near future.  Hero Kid has been gracious enough to let me demo his pair from his HM-602 purchase he was planning on selling.  We chatted and he likes the idea of giving back to the community by allowing these demos.  He wants you to demo the pair too, so I will be sending them off to you after I try them out for a couple weeks.  He's in no hurry, so time line isn't an issue.  I will have a RE252 in my possession that I will soon be getting from a fellow member that I also want to send along to you so you can have a direct RE252 vs RE262 comparison.

The SA6R and SA7 will be interesting.  I don't really expect a company to send demo hardware.  However, I'd think fellow forum members would be willing to loan a pair.  I would give you a pair to try out if I actually still owned them.  My bro owns a pair, but I'm not sure how willing he is about loaning them out for an extended time since they are his main earphones that he does use on a regular basis.  I'd be curious to see a SA6 vs SA6R to see if there are audible differences due to the new housing and possibly minor tweaks and of course how the SA7 stacks up against, well, everything else out there

Ah, that would be great. It'd be very nice to cross the RE262 off my list.

Quote:
 I don't really expect a company to send demo hardware. 

Don't be so sure - Sleek is a small company with roots in the audio community and even large corporations like Etymotic sometimes comply with samples (though it took them 6 months to get me an MC5). I certainly don't expect any demo hardware from anyone but it benefits both the community and my aching wallet (did I mention that I bought the Monster Lil' Jamz and Skullcandy FMJ recently?
frown.gif
) and some seem to understand that.

Quote:
Lol comparing the RE252 to the RE262 will be like comparing DBAs to the DDMs.

Well, I'm guessing people are more interested in aspects of the sound aside from frequency response and balance. There are some underlying properties that could be very similar if the hardware is related - driver speed, throw, thickness of note, etc etc.

Quote:
Let me add the EQ5 and the second dual driver iem from Radius. Those are the last ones I'm looking forward to because they're the next step of new technologies that were just introduced.

Yep, definitely interested in those as well. I've also got some of the lower-end Radius earphones coming in though they seem to be MIA at the moment.

Quote:
It's kind of curious that there are even new technologies being developed in IEMs when it seems like full tower speaker and headphone technology seems to be relatively resolved. (Using big dynamic drivers... I'm assuming that horns lost their debate, and ribbon tweeters and flat panel technologies don't seem to have taken off.) The craziest thing I've seen in a while are the Sony PFR's, which seemed to have flopped.  
Meanwhile IEM's are going from balance armature to dynamic drivers, to hybrid moving armature drivers, quadruple driver universals and dual drive dynamics - all these attempts to overcome shortcomings in a relatively immature market. I think we have portable audio to thank for that.

Personally I'm looking forward to the new DDM's and the X-Jays. I'm particularly surprised that the X-Jays haven't been released yet... 

Hey don't knock the PFRs! They're very interesting... when they work. I really need to get mine fixed. I asked Peter@Jays about the x-JAYS recently and he was not forthcoming with info about release date, pricing, etc so I assume we'll have to wait substantially longer.

Quote:
Well, remember, IEMs have to fit in your ear canal.  

Yeah, tell that to FAD 
ksc75smile.gif

On a completely unrelated note, imageshack has decided that my picture of the Phonak PFEs was not worth preserving and lost it in a system crash. I also lost my backup of that photo a while ago so if anyone has access to a set of PFEs and is willing to take a replacement picture for me (in the usual manner - close-up with shells and 3.5mm plug) I would be very grateful. 

Oct 15, 2010 at 1:15 AM Post #934 of 16,931
I don't mind a manufacturer waiting.  I like it when a company actually tries and takes their time with a product to get it right instead of just trying to get something into market as quick as possible. 

Oct 17, 2010 at 3:26 AM Post #935 of 16,931
Wow, what an absolutely outstanding review thread.

Could i please request that you review a pair of " SHURE SCL2"  IEM's  please.

i am very interested in how they are as i am debating between those and a few others.

thanks

Oct 17, 2010 at 3:41 AM Post #936 of 16,931
oh hi joker...
any news on the miles davis review???
hehehe...
im still waiting.. please do take your time. and ill just wait here till you post them and before i pull the trigger on purchasing it.

L3000.gif
miles...miles...miles!

Oct 17, 2010 at 4:06 AM Post #937 of 16,931

Quote:Joker
I think that the M1 is both more comfy and better-built than the SB overall, but only slightly. The cable is strong even though it lacks strain relief and the shells are time-tested (read: ancient design) on the M1. They are a bit larger than the SB in diameter but rounded at the front and the nozzle is a little longer. Plus they sound good with bi-flange tips which means the housing never really touches my ear when I wear them. For sound though I'd have to say the SB has a leg up in many aspects. It's the more spacious-sounding of the two, has better extension on either end, and seems to have slightly better dynamics (though the M1 is still very impressive). I have to say that because the note of the SB is a bit 'rounded', the M1 does sound more crisp, especially in the midrange. Strings have the right 'twang' and piano notes actually have impact. I think Inks might be able to do a better sound comparison than I since he's had my M1s for a while and has definitely spent time comparing the two
wink_face.gif

x2 spot on. Funny how that comparison regarding the sound sounds like one I would've done, which leaves me with only a bit more to say. First, get ready for a much bigger/more extended bass. It might seem bass heavy at times compared to the M1s but upon notice, it's a very controlled bass that manages to give off just the right amount of warmth. The midrange is less forward than the M1s but it sounds more lush yet very clear and smooth like the M1s. Treble extension is better on the SBs but the sparkle of the M1s is up par so you'll just be getting more micro-detail. The soundstage was actually deeper on the M1s for me but the SBs soundstage still manages to sound bigger because of it's combination of good depth and height. Good transparency comes hand in hand with it's soundstage because you'll notice each instrument has more air to breathe whereas the M1s tend to do a more layered sound.

Oct 17, 2010 at 7:52 AM Post #938 of 16,931

What I'm really worried about is the weight of the SBs you mentioned in the review. The Brainwavz M1 is borderline comfortable for me. I don't think any more weight or increase in size would be comfortable for my small ear canals. I also sleep in them so that's another factor. 

Also if you have the DBA-02 and the Brainwavz M1, can you please post a picture of them side by side so I can see what the size of the DBA-02 is compared to the M1?

Edit: One more question. When someone says the mids are "recessed" does that mean the opposite of the mids as compared to the PL30 and the M1? Mids are basically where the electric guitars and vocals are right?

Quote:
Hey joker how are the silver bullets compared to the brainwavz m1? Can you post some detailed thoughts.. including the comfort aspects and build quality comparison? Im thinking of the silver bullets to upgrade to from the brainwavz.. thanks alot dude. I can't thank you enough for the M1s and the PL30s
wink.gif

wink_face.gif

Oct 17, 2010 at 1:53 PM Post #939 of 16,931

Quote:
oh hi joker...
hehehe...
im still waiting.. please do take your time. and ill just wait here till you post them and before i pull the trigger on purchasing it.

L3000.gif
miles...miles...miles!

Hope it will be a good one, My MDs are plugged into my ears at the very moment now =D , Haven totally burned in though, And i still have the e-Q7 (Moving Coil BA maybe need burn in unlike normal BA???) and the 100 hours for FA-003, heard that FA-003 undergoes big transformation after 100hrs of burn-in for the better, cant wait but urgh i only have 1 zen x-fi player so burn in wil have to take turns one by one.

Oct 17, 2010 at 2:05 PM Post #940 of 16,931
Jozurr I sleep with the SBs just fine because they don't stick out much with deep insertion. But they are going to feel noticeably heavier and even thought I too have small ears I'm not sure everyone is going to be able to insert them the way I do. I have also tried the DBAs which in the ear, are barely visible like the M1s, but expect to experiment with tips because they require a much deeper insertion.

Oct 17, 2010 at 9:24 PM Post #941 of 16,931
Added the Monster Miles Davis Tribute.

Quote:
Wow, what an absolutely outstanding review thread.

Could i please request that you review a pair of " SHURE SCL2"  IEM's  please.

i am very interested in how they are as i am debating between those and a few others.

thanks

Thanks. Regarding Shure IEMs, the question was just asked a page or two back (perhaps I should put the answer on the front page). Truth is, I went through a couple of Shure in-ears before this thread was even in its infancy and have never felt the desire to go back to budget-oriented Shures. I was especially underwhelmed with my Shure E4c (aka SCL4) though I've no idea how the SCL2 compares.

Quote:
oh hi joker...
hehehe...

L3000.gif
miles...miles...miles!

Done
beerchug.gif
. I wanted to wait until my Monster Lil' Jamz review was finished to post the Monster MD one but that'll probably take another week or so. Can't argue with demand 
wink.gif

Quote:
What I'm really worried about is the weight of the SBs you mentioned in the review. The Brainwavz M1 is borderline comfortable for me. I don't think any more weight or increase in size would be comfortable for my small ear canals. I also sleep in them so that's another factor.

Also if you have the DBA-02 and the Brainwavz M1, can you please post a picture of them side by side so I can see what the size of the DBA-02 is compared to the M1?

Edit: One more question. When someone says the mids are "recessed" does that mean the opposite of the mids as compared to the PL30 and the M1? Mids are basically where the electric guitars and vocals are right?

While the SB is a bit longer than the M1, the housings aren't as wide so they may be more comfortable for deeper insertion (which is what Inks seems to be doing). I don't think I could sleep in the SB (at least not on my side) since I favor a shallower insertion with those shells. 

Sadly I don't have the DBA-02 anymore but fit issues aren't as likely with it due to the angled-nozzle design. 

As for recessed mids, they are indeed the opposite of what the M1 (and to a lesser extent the PL30) possess but (in the case of the Silver Bullets) not by much. Midrange typically refers to the 300hz-5khz range or thereabouts. 

Oct 17, 2010 at 9:36 PM Post #942 of 16,931
Nice review and nice pic, the only thing missing is the fact that you also get the Kind of Blue legacy edition 2 disc set.

Oct 17, 2010 at 9:50 PM Post #943 of 16,931
I thought the CD's and such were taken out of the package since it stopped being a limited edition

Oct 17, 2010 at 9:59 PM Post #945 of 16,931
Nah the second revision still gets the CDs, at least I did. I kind of miss these but I'm looking forward to Audio Technica's new dynamic flagship (ATH-CKM-99). I'll have enough by the time of their release, but if that doesn't work out I'm going back to these.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back