Multi-IEM Review - 352 IEMs compared (Pump Audio Earphones added 04/03/16 p. 1106)
Jun 20, 2012 at 5:57 AM Post #7,291 of 16,931
Hi joker, how would you rate the Westone 2  against the current crops of new Dual BA in the market. It seems that it is still one of the higher priced iem and wonder if it is still worth the money at this point of time. Thanks.

Jun 20, 2012 at 6:26 AM Post #7,292 of 16,931
Joker, the EPH-100 review lends some vindication for the small ear canal afflicted. I had a tough time with the fit, although loving everything else about them. Regrettably, they had to be returned. 
frown.gif

Jun 20, 2012 at 8:05 AM Post #7,294 of 16,931
@joker

Thanks was desperately waiting for the review of EPH-100 from your side. Can you compare MG7 and EPH-100 in bass, mids, treble, soundstage, imaging, in almost everything.

Which one do you think is the best?

Jun 20, 2012 at 8:20 AM Post #7,295 of 16,931
@jokerl 

as i asked in the eph thread :

As i said i'm really enjoying my eph-100 but this is my first approach to top notch iem, so i'd like to know, what can be a good complement? by good complement i mean that i'd like to hear what i'm maybe missing with the eph. The re-zero should be a good choise right? other suggestion? 

Thx! and nice work :D u really deserve the UM Miracle 
wink.gif

Jun 20, 2012 at 8:28 AM Post #7,296 of 16,931
Quote:
Joker, the EPH-100 review lends some vindication for the small ear canal afflicted. I had a tough time with the fit, although loving everything else about them. Regrettably, they had to be returned. 
frown.gif

it took 3 weeks for me to get used to the fit, after 2 months i finally felt really comfortable...but what a pain the first days!

Jun 20, 2012 at 11:27 AM Post #7,297 of 16,931
Joker's review of the EPH-100 was good timing.  After my inital listen to this IEM and finding it too bass heavy I did what people suggested and burned it in for another 4 days while I was gone camping.  I now agree that the bass does calm down some after sufficient burn in, at least for me.  I find the bass level to be just fine in these.  I still love the treble of the RE-ZERO much better than the EPH-100.  The later almost sounds like it has a loudness boost to it, very splashy on symbols but missing some of the lower harmonics and weight of it.  IT's very hard to describe for me.  I don't know how Joker does all these reviews as I find after going back and forth between a few pairs of IEM's my ears start getting confused and tired.  On a fit side, while I get a really good seal with the EPH-100, my ears get sore after a while, espeically my smaller left ear.  It's a bummer to have two such different sized ear canals.  It appears the EPH-100 doesn't fit the sound signuature I'm looking for, nor does the RE-ZERO.  Perhaps if I could take the treble and mids from the RE-ZERO and and the bass of the EPH-100 to fill it out, I may have something.....Joker, you recommended the RE-262 to me earlier from my general feedback.  Does it still sound like a potential match?  Any other IEM's in that price range or lower that may fit the bill?

Jun 20, 2012 at 1:28 PM Post #7,298 of 16,931
Hi ljokerl, do you think the GR07 is a good complement to the UM3X and the SM3?  I'm trying to sample a good variety of high-end earphones to see what sort of sound signature I really prefer, and wondering if those 3 plus the FXT90 would give me a good diverse view.  Would you say any of these are too similar to be good complements?  Thanks!

Jun 20, 2012 at 2:09 PM Post #7,299 of 16,931
i got the eph100 yesterday and so far i do not like them. pircing treble and the whole soundstage is behind me. i wonder which ie would give me a soundstage more in front of me and has smoother treble? mids and bass are ok on the yamahas.

Jun 20, 2012 at 3:56 PM Post #7,301 of 16,931
Quote:
Not sure why, but I still have a hard time really understanding what the EPH-100 sound signature is like.

From reading, I hear it's signature move is bass? If it's anything like the MG7, I think I'll pass.

It's a balanced signature like the FXT90. Definitely not bass heavy like the MG7. Relaxed, yet smooth treble and midrange and strong bass, but not overbearing at all after several hours of burn-in.

Jun 20, 2012 at 4:05 PM Post #7,302 of 16,931
Quote:
i got the eph100 yesterday and so far i do not like them. pircing treble and the whole soundstage is behind me. i wonder which ie would give me a soundstage more in front of me and has smoother treble? mids and bass are ok on the yamahas.

I had to burn in my EPH-100 for over 50 hours to smooth out some of the issues I had with the IEM (bass was my issue).  I'm not much a soundstage expert so I can't really comment there.  While the treble doesn't sound piercing to me, it definitley has an odd quality to it on the upper end which I did not like.  Burn them in for a few days without listening to them and then check them out again.

Jun 20, 2012 at 4:13 PM Post #7,303 of 16,931
Need a few quick responses guys before I lose the opportunity to cancel my order. Just put an order in for a pair of Phonak 122 IEMs for use at work at half price, coming in at £65 with a half price voucher, since my customs aren't suited to being yanked out every few minutes. I can't find anything else in the sub-£70 price range that competes, am I missing anything?

Jun 20, 2012 at 11:22 PM Post #7,304 of 16,931
Quote:
Thanks for the reviews on those two, I was actually really curious about both.
Hopefully you'll get around to reviewing the ATH CKM500s so I can have a good comparison between what I have and what you've written for all these other great IEMs.

Quote:
Thanks Ijokerl. Great to see a detailed  EPH-100 review up, I was very interested in your view on them.
This gives people a great starting point when showing interest in EPH-100. 
beerchug.gif

Quote:
More great reviews! I was also waiting for the one on the Yamaha's... Thanks, ljokerl
beerchug.gif

Thanks 
beerchug.gif

Quote:
Hi joker, how would you rate the Westone 2  against the current crops of new Dual BA in the market. It seems that it is still one of the higher priced iem and wonder if it is still worth the money at this point of time. Thanks.

Not all current dual-drivers are equal - the Creative Aurvana 3, for example, is a recent one I didn't like all that much. The W2 is still competitive in my book, especially if you put value in the form factor (still among my favorites among all IEMs). 

Quote:
frown.gif

I was just happy the nozzles are a bit smaller compared to older microdriver designs like the MEElec CC51
redface.gif
. Shame they didn't work for you.

Quote:
@joker

Thanks was desperately waiting for the review of EPH-100 from your side. Can you compare MG7 and EPH-100 in bass, mids, treble, soundstage, imaging, in almost everything.

Which one do you think is the best?

I think the EPH-100 is the more balanced earphone, less bass, more mids, smoother treble compared to the MG7. Its presentation is a little on the laid back side but in that context imaging is rather good. I think the Yamaha is the better earphone by a narrow margin but that can easily flip if you end up preferring the more U-shaped sound of the MG7.

Quote:
@jokerl 

as i asked in the eph thread :

As i said i'm really enjoying my eph-100 but this is my first approach to top notch iem, so i'd like to know, what can be a good complement? by good complement i mean that i'd like to hear what i'm maybe missing with the eph. The re-zero should be a good choise right? other suggestion? 

Thx! and nice work :D u really deserve the UM Miracle 
wink.gif

Thanks!

I would try something armature-based instead of the ZERO, maybe an Ety HF5 or Fischer Audio SBA-03/MEElec A161 (or a Brainwavz B2 if still on pre-order) just to sample the more crisp delivery. Ultimately the bass of the EPH-100 is rather strong and the resolution in the treble leaves something to be desired. An earphone with flatter bass and better treble quality should 'fill in' whatever you are missing with the EPH-100.

Quote:
Joker's review of the EPH-100 was good timing.  After my inital listen to this IEM and finding it too bass heavy I did what people suggested and burned it in for another 4 days while I was gone camping.  I now agree that the bass does calm down some after sufficient burn in, at least for me.  I find the bass level to be just fine in these.  I still love the treble of the RE-ZERO much better than the EPH-100.  The later almost sounds like it has a loudness boost to it, very splashy on symbols but missing some of the lower harmonics and weight of it.  IT's very hard to describe for me.  I don't know how Joker does all these reviews as I find after going back and forth between a few pairs of IEM's my ears start getting confused and tired.  On a fit side, while I get a really good seal with the EPH-100, my ears get sore after a while, espeically my smaller left ear.  It's a bummer to have two such different sized ear canals.  It appears the EPH-100 doesn't fit the sound signuature I'm looking for, nor does the RE-ZERO.  Perhaps if I could take the treble and mids from the RE-ZERO and and the bass of the EPH-100 to fill it out, I may have something.....Joker, you recommended the RE-262 to me earlier from my general feedback.  Does it still sound like a potential match?  Any other IEM's in that price range or lower that may fit the bill?

If you are happy with the bass quantity of the EPH-100, I am not sure the low end of the RE262 will do it for you. On a side note, you may need to use different-sized tips in each ear if you have asymmetric canals. Anyway, I would recommend the JVC FXT90 but it seems you've found both the EPH-100 and MEElec A161 offensive in the treble, and the FXT90 is more treble-happy than both. On the treble front the RE262 is still one of the more relaxing and non-fatiguing things I've heard. 

Quote:
Hi ljokerl, do you think the GR07 is a good complement to the UM3X and the SM3?  I'm trying to sample a good variety of high-end earphones to see what sort of sound signature I really prefer, and wondering if those 3 plus the FXT90 would give me a good diverse view.  Would you say any of these are too similar to be good complements?  Thanks!

Sure, the GR07 is a good alternative to those. It's definitely a different type of sound - more distant and not at all mid-focused, with more treble emphasis than the SM3/UM3X and less mid-bassy warmth.

Quote:
Not sure why, but I still have a hard time really understanding what the EPH-100 sound signature is like.

From reading, I hear it's signature move is bass? If it's anything like the MG7, I think I'll pass.

Not as much bass focus as the MG7 and a different curve, with mid-bass to match the sub-bass. Also the mids tend to be stronger and much more liquid, and the treble tends to be smoother. 

Quote:
Need a few quick responses guys before I lose the opportunity to cancel my order. Just put an order in for a pair of Phonak 122 IEMs for use at work at half price, coming in at £65 with a half price voucher, since my customs aren't suited to being yanked out every few minutes. I can't find anything else in the sub-£70 price range that competes, am I missing anything?

I don't think you can do better than the Phonaks for that sort of money if you like their sound signature. Alternatives would be the Etymotic HF5 and the Fischer SBA-03/MEElec A161. Not sure how much those would run you and they aren't better or worse than the Phonaks, just different.

Jun 21, 2012 at 12:19 AM Post #7,305 of 16,931
Hi joker, thanks for your thoughts regarding the Westone 2. I'm currently looking at the Westone 2, TDK BA200, Vsonic GR01 and maybe the FA SBA-02 Mk2/Brainwaz B2 as a gift for my other half. Kind of gotten poisoned when I let her tried out my SE535 and have been making references with how much better it compares to her AT CKS90Ltd. Due to budget constrain and based on the above list of iems, which do you think would have a close sound characteristics to the SE535. I'm open to other options and would appreciate alternatives suggestion if any. She's more into mainstream genre like Kpop, RnB, Vocals, OST and some Hip Hop if that helps. Thanks in advance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back