Multi-IEM Review - 352 IEMs compared (Pump Audio Earphones added 04/03/16 p. 1106)
Jun 21, 2012 at 1:52 AM Post #7,307 of 16,931
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljokerl /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I think the EPH-100 is the more balanced earphone, less bass, more mids, smoother treble compared to the MG7. Its presentation is a little on the laid back side but in that context imaging is rather good. I think the Yamaha is the better earphone by a narrow margin but that can easily flip if you end up preferring the more U-shaped sound of the MG7.

so you are preferring EPH-100 in the overall sound quality.

Can I say that in the bass department, MG7 wins hands-down? which one has better quality bass?

I am very confused between MG7 and EPH-100 now

I have ordered the MG7 on 7th May right after you recommended me but sadly I haven't received it till now may be it is lost somewhere in the middle. :frowning2: My money just got drained.

So I want to order again but confused between MG7 and EPH-100. I know Soundstage is better in EPH-100. What about imaging as compared to the MG7?

I also appreciate the esanthosh's deeply description/comparison which he told me in TE made me confident more, his description was splendid too

Jun 21, 2012 at 5:44 AM Post #7,308 of 16,931
Quote:

Can I say that in the bass department, MG7 wins hands-down? which one has better quality bass?

I have ordered the MG7 on 7th May right after you recommended me but sadly I haven't received it till now may be it is lost somewhere in the middle. :frowning2: My money just got drained.

So I want to order again but confused between MG7 and EPH-100. I know Soundstage is better in EPH-100. What about imaging as compared to the MG7?

I also appreciate the esanthosh's deeply description/comparison which he told me in TE made me confident more, his description was splendid too

Always opt for trackable shipping option when getting the stuff.

Jun 21, 2012 at 8:29 AM Post #7,309 of 16,931
Quote:
Hi joker, thanks for your thoughts regarding the Westone 2. I'm currently looking at the Westone 2, TDK BA200, Vsonic GR01 and maybe the FA SBA-02 Mk2/Brainwaz B2 as a gift for my other half. Kind of gotten poisoned when I let her tried out my SE535 and have been making references with how much better it compares to her AT CKS90Ltd. Due to budget constrain and based on the above list of iems, which do you think would have a close sound characteristics to the SE535. I'm open to other options and would appreciate alternatives suggestion if any. She's more into mainstream genre like Kpop, RnB, Vocals, OST and some Hip Hop if that helps. Thanks in advance.

Hey Leo888. I think she might really like the Ety HF3. IMO it's on the same SQ level as the 535

Jun 21, 2012 at 8:50 AM Post #7,310 of 16,931
Thanks for the massive review, ljokerl, This thread turned out to be my main resource for choosing my first IEMs, which are currently en route to me.
Namely the MEElectronics M9 (which reads like the ideal first pair for me to try) and M31 (which reads like a guilty pleasure).
There were a few others I was particularly keen on, but the astronomical delivery costs Amazon wanted to add to them (or in many cases, the flat out refusal to ship them to Israel) just made them impractical this time around, those were the Brainwavz Beta, Monoprice 8320, MEElectronics  M6, and Soundmagic E10.
I honestly didn't research these as thoroughly as I did my choice of full headphones, practically limiting myself to this resource alone, but that's partially because the costs on this side were much lower than on the full side. I didn't even glance at any of the IEM pairs beyond $60.

On the other hand, if the folks all over this forum are any indication, there will be many more headphones purchases to follow.
Then again, I did stick with my Sennheiser HD280 for well over a decade, despite not being satisfied with their sound. Maybe I'm immune to your addiction. :p

Jun 21, 2012 at 9:07 AM Post #7,312 of 16,931
Quote:

Hey Leo888. I think she might really like the Ety HF3. IMO it's on the same SQ level as the 535

Thanks eke2k6 for chipping in. Have read up some commends and have a feeling that it might be a little hot in the treble. Anyway, will give it a try alongside the others and when I visit my local store see how it fares. For now, will wait and see if there's others suggestions from fellow forum members. 

Jun 21, 2012 at 11:13 AM Post #7,313 of 16,931
Quote:
Hi joker, thanks for your thoughts regarding the Westone 2. I'm currently looking at the Westone 2, TDK BA200, Vsonic GR01 and maybe the FA SBA-02 Mk2/Brainwaz B2 as a gift for my other half. Kind of gotten poisoned when I let her tried out my SE535 and have been making references with how much better it compares to her AT CKS90Ltd. Due to budget constrain and based on the above list of iems, which do you think would have a close sound characteristics to the SE535. I'm open to other options and would appreciate alternatives suggestion if any. She's more into mainstream genre like Kpop, RnB, Vocals, OST and some Hip Hop if that helps. Thanks in advance.

Any reason you are limiting yourself to dual-BAs? The HiFiMan RE262 is nice and musical, in some ways more reminiscent of the Shures than the GR01 and DBA-02/B2, and in that price range. Otherwise I would go with the GR01 or W2 (haven't heard the BA200). 

Quote:
hey joker do you think re-262's mids can rival customs like um miracle and merlin?

The RE272 is a little closer but still not quite there. It depends on what you're looking for. The note weight and overall realism of the RE262 are quite good but when you start looking at detail resolution the Miracle pulls away.

Quote:

You really have too figure out what you want. The MG7 has mostly subbass, the EPH-100 has a little more mid-bass than sub-bass. Neither is really 'better', just different. Imaging is not something I like to comment on from memory, you should ask someone who owns both earphones at the same time. 

Quote:
Thanks for the massive review, ljokerl, This thread turned out to be my main resource for choosing my first IEMs, which are currently en route to me.
Namely the MEElectronics M9 (which reads like the ideal first pair for me to try) and M31 (which reads like a guilty pleasure).
There were a few others I was particularly keen on, but the astronomical delivery costs Amazon wanted to add to them (or in many cases, the flat out refusal to ship them to Israel) just made them impractical this time around, those were the Brainwavz Beta, Monoprice 8320, MEElectronics  M6, and Soundmagic E10.
I honestly didn't research these as thoroughly as I did my choice of full headphones, practically limiting myself to this resource alone, but that's partially because the costs on this side were much lower than on the full side. I didn't even glance at any of the IEM pairs beyond $60.

On the other hand, if the folks all over this forum are any indication, there will be many more headphones purchases to follow.
Then again, I did stick with my Sennheiser HD280 for well over a decade, despite not being satisfied with their sound. Maybe I'm immune to your addiction. :p

I guess you'll find out once you receive the IEMs 
wink.gif

Quote:
Hi joker, great reviews.

Since it wasn't mentioned in the review, what did you think of the EPH-100's treble tonality?

That it's not as good as the EX600/GR07/FXT90 to for my ears.

Quote:
Thanks eke2k6 for chipping in. Have read up some commends and have a feeling that it might be a little hot in the treble. Anyway, will give it a try alongside the others and when I visit my local store see how it fares. For now, will wait and see if there's others suggestions from fellow forum members. 

The HF2/3/5 is quite smooth with a good seal even compared to TWFK-based stuff like the Brainwavz B2.

Jun 21, 2012 at 11:49 AM Post #7,314 of 16,931
Quote:

Any reason you are limiting yourself to dual-BAs? The HiFiMan RE262 is nice and musical, in some ways more reminiscent of the Shures than the GR01 and DBA-02/B2, and in that price range. Otherwise I would go with the GR01 or W2 (haven't heard the BA200). 

Hi joe, I have read that the RE262 is power hungry and would like something that is easy to drive. Portability is also a consideration which is why I narrowed down to the list. Just happens to read that the Creative Aurvana 3 has a resemblance to the SE535. I did got the chance to try them out for a short moment and  feels that it lacks some refinement as compared to the Westone 2.. The thing with me is that I have short auditory memory and would appreciate your views as to how far off the Creative Aurvana 3 are to the Westone 2. Would the extra cash be worthy for the latter. Thanks in advance.  

Jun 21, 2012 at 12:55 PM Post #7,315 of 16,931
I rocked the 262 on the train in today, powered by an Arrow amp. Luscious sound. Wonderful mids.

Jun 21, 2012 at 5:04 PM Post #7,317 of 16,931
By the way, re262 is power hungry, but sounds good un-amped. Un-amped I get good bass, excellent mids and non-sibilent highs (slightly rolled off). It's just that it gets special when amped. Full and beautiful. 
smile.gif

Jun 21, 2012 at 9:47 PM Post #7,319 of 16,931
By the way, re262 is power hungry, but sounds good un-amped. Un-amped I get good bass, excellent mids and non-sibilent highs (slightly rolled off). It's just that it gets special when amped. Full and beautiful. :smile:

Thanks FieldingMellish for the feedback. But it would be better if I could get something that can perform near it's best straight out of the box without an amp. Anyway, my other half uses the Samsung Galaxy S2 and I don't think she would like having the battery being drain out too quickly. But you have got me intrigue with the RE262 and would really like to hear them out when the opportunity arises.

By the way, the Aurisonic ASG1.2 looks interesting and would appreciate some insight of them.
I'm not sure if you have heard them joker but will appreciate your views of them if you have. Thanks again, joker.

Jun 21, 2012 at 10:50 PM Post #7,320 of 16,931
Quote:
Hi joe, I have read that the RE262 is power hungry and would like something that is easy to drive. Portability is also a consideration which is why I narrowed down to the list. Just happens to read that the Creative Aurvana 3 has a resemblance to the SE535. I did got the chance to try them out for a short moment and  feels that it lacks some refinement as compared to the Westone 2.. The thing with me is that I have short auditory memory and would appreciate your views as to how far off the Creative Aurvana 3 are to the Westone 2. Would the extra cash be worthy for the latter. Thanks in advance.  

I am not a fan of the Aurvana but I can't in all honesty say that the W2 is worth double the price. The W2 is better in pretty much every way but not by a large margin. I agree on the refinement, and it also sounds a little bland to me with not much deep bass or treble sparkle. The W2 isn't exactly subbass heavy or terribly sparkly either, but at least it has high levels of clarity and detail. The Creative reminds me more of the Klipsch Custom 3, which was a nice all-rounder but never really seemed all that special.

Quote:
This thread is sooooo helpful!!!! I'm looking for my next earphone. Still digging in all the reviews. :)

Thanks 
beerchug.gif

Quote:
By the way, re262 is power hungry, but sounds good un-amped. Un-amped I get good bass, excellent mids and non-sibilent highs (slightly rolled off). It's just that it gets special when amped. Full and beautiful. 
smile.gif

+1, I thought it was still very enjoyable straight out of a portable

Quote:
Thanks. I'm interested in the SoundMAGIC E30's, how do they compare?

Generally, not as warm and intimate as all of these others.

Quote:
Thanks FieldingMellish for the feedback. But it would be better if I could get something that can perform near it's best straight out of the box without an amp. Anyway, my other half uses the Samsung Galaxy S2 and I don't think she would like having the battery being drain out too quickly. But you have got me intrigue with the RE262 and would really like to hear them out when the opportunity arises.
By the way, the Aurisonic ASG1.2 looks interesting and would appreciate some insight of them.
I'm not sure if you have heard them joker but will appreciate your views of them if you have. Thanks again, joker.

I've only briefly heard the 1st rev of the ASG1. I didn't like the fit and the driver flex was horrendous. No impressions of the sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back