Multi-IEM Review - 352 IEMs compared (Pump Audio Earphones added 04/03/16 p. 1106)
Dec 7, 2011 at 1:55 PM Post #5,071 of 16,931

Quote:
I suppose I should be fine then, the GR07 seem like a safe bet for all types of genres and the price point is attractive, How have you found the sound stage and fit?

Compared to my other IEMs, the GR07s have a noticeably larger soundstage, but it's not huge compared to full-sized headphones, obviously. The fit is nice because of the rotating nozzles, but at least my set from the original batch had a limited choice of tips, and some have reported issues not getting a good seal with the provided tips. However, the newer batch, which is what you should get if you order them, comes with a huge selection of fake Sony hybrid tips, so you should be fine on that count. Also, if you have an unusually small outer-ear, you might have fit issues with the shell, but unless you have very small ears, this shouldn't be an issue. If it fits your ear, it's very comfortable though. (I've exaggerated fit issues so you're aware of them; it's really not that hard to get a good fit).

Dec 8, 2011 at 1:47 AM Post #5,072 of 16,931

Quote:
I would be willing to  have some midrange recession as a trade off for significantly more bass impact vs TF10. In this case, which IEMs do you recommend?  Thanks joker

CKM99 or even MG7 Atrio if you can stand to give up some detail and soundstage space for even more impact.

Quote:
Ahh this will be a tough choice, Do you feel the EX1000 and FX700 are worth the extra cost over the GR07? Looking for that major jump from my horrible muddy mess

Thanks guys for the input its very much appreciated

All high-end audio is a game of diminishing returns. The EX1000 clearly does not sound twice as good as the GR07 but if given the choice I would take the sound of the Sonys 10 out of 10 times. The GR07 is more usable everyday and a lot cheaper so take that as you will. Either one should be a huge step up for you.

Dec 8, 2011 at 2:15 AM Post #5,073 of 16,931

Quote:
they just should re-make the original xcape 
biggrin.gif

x2

Dec 8, 2011 at 2:16 AM Post #5,074 of 16,931

Quote:
I actually like the GR07 best in comfort, the moving nozzle is worth its weight in gold.  

x2.  I've always been sad that I didn't like the signature enough to buy a GR07.  I want to put those in my ears more than just about any other universal.

Dec 8, 2011 at 6:21 PM Post #5,075 of 16,931
Wow, how do you manage to do this?
It's like this is your full-time job!
Must be spankin' rich to afford all of those in-ears..

Just wanted to let you know how AMAZED I am at this....

Edit:
Sorry, but I'm just wondering, how is the NuForce cable? I know it's durable, but is it tangle-resistant like Brainwavz cables?
Would the Brainwavz M2 or the Ne-700x be more appealing to un-audiophilic friends?

Thanks for your help...

Dec 8, 2011 at 6:28 PM Post #5,076 of 16,931

Quote:

We are ALL amazed, and he doesnt limit it to IEMs, but Joker now receives review samples from other folks that he doesnt have to pay for - not all of them, granted, but I assume that the financial burden is less than it was when he started this mammoth thread. What blows me away is the number of flagship universals in this thread, yet there are also plenty of sub-$50 recommendations : the kid in the candy store could easily go ballistic.

Dec 8, 2011 at 9:54 PM Post #5,077 of 16,931
Thanks..tht's it in spirit. Different phones at top of array. I didn't realize it was a PNG image; small wonder a text search didn't find it.At least, I've decoded the caption IEMchartjoker.png (that is noting it is an IEM Chart prepared by Joker in format PNG.

I got an another reference that's a table of contents from 50an6xy06r6n, which was useful once I figured out that the coding was an index rather than a ranking. Someone might think of ear canal size. After Ety bonked, I replaced with budget Yuin. Have no idea who possibly could have entry to ear canal as big as these.

Absolute Sound gave Audeo Phonak gold stars; trying to get more information than the stars.  Thanks,

Richard.

Dec 8, 2011 at 10:14 PM Post #5,078 of 16,931
Joker, thanks that is the chart I had in mind. Years back I had printed content and kept 1st 2 pages--probably scores on average above 8. Dynamic movement in the rankings.

50an6xy06r6n sent me a pointer to a table of contents. It is helpful although other than Etymotic of old, no mfg keeps models or the nomenclature for models around for very long. I was thinking about Audeo Phonak which Absolute Sound liked, but my recollection is there was a $189 iteration and a $99--012. Maybe $189 got 112.

I've no idea whether the Absolute Sound gold star ranking speaks to an older or newer variant. So much product.

Thanks,

Richard

Dec 9, 2011 at 1:31 AM Post #5,079 of 16,931

Quote:

Edit:
Sorry, but I'm just wondering, how is the NuForce cable? I know it's durable, but is it tangle-resistant like Brainwavz cables?
Would the Brainwavz M2 or the Ne-700x be more appealing to un-audiophilic friends?

Thanks for your help...

Rome wasn't built in a day, and neither was the thread. There is a v.1 of this thread archived... somewhere. I used to keep track of how much of my resources was tied up in audio gear but I've stopped. I don't really have time to get rid of stuff anymore.

The Nuforce cable is pretty average in my opinion. I like the Brainwavz cable better, both for sturdiness and for user-friendliness. Sound-wise I think both would appeal to non-audiophiles but the M2 may be a bigger change (signature-wise) from entry-level products they've likely heard.

Quote:

We are ALL amazed, and he doesnt limit it to IEMs, but Joker now receives review samples from other folks that he doesnt have to pay for - not all of them, granted, but I assume that the financial burden is less than it was when he started this mammoth thread. What blows me away is the number of flagship universals in this thread, yet there are also plenty of sub-$50 recommendations : the kid in the candy store could easily go ballistic.

I've been postponing adding a 'buyer's guide' to this thread for a long time. I'd love to go through and put up my personal recommendations in each price range but I just don't have the time to put it together or maintain it properly.

Quote:
Joker, thanks that is the chart I had in mind. Years back I had printed content and kept 1st 2 pages--probably scores on average above 8. Dynamic movement in the rankings.

50an6xy06r6n sent me a pointer to a table of contents. It is helpful although other than Etymotic of old, no mfg keeps models or the nomenclature for models around for very long. I was thinking about Audeo Phonak which Absolute Sound liked, but my recollection is there was a $189 iteration and a $99--012. Maybe $189 got 112.

Phonak raised the price of the 112 this year. It used to be in the $139 range with the Perfect Bass (012) at $99. The differ only in the included acoustic filters and accessories. I do not like the green 012 filters but I'm not sure I'd pay $189 for a 112 when a 012 + gray or black filters would come out cheaper. 

Dec 9, 2011 at 7:24 AM Post #5,080 of 16,931
Hi all,
I've been adviced by a member to put my request here, so let's go:
I would like to start this thread by telling my own story, I think it will help to recommand me some nice IEMs
wink.gif

So, it did not take that long to find the perfect headphones for me, I started with :

1. AKG K518DJ, I liked the sound but some problem with comfort and maybe a bit too bassier
  2. then MEelec HT-21s, did not like it, clear but sound too dry for me. (somewhat the opposite of 518DJ)
  3. Alessandro MS1: was definitely my taste but way too uncomfortable & of course it leaks too much even for home-use
  4. Denon D1001, I liked it so much that I decided to pull the trigger and buy D2000, I'm in looooove !!!

So I did not spend a lot of time to test many different things, lucky me! But when it comes to IEMs (for travel, gym etc...), that's another story!

1. I started with Meelec M6 & M9, pleased especially with M6 but did not like the fit over-the-ear and wanted something more refined
  2. Brainwavz M1 thanks to ljokerl review , I still have them, I would like an upgrade but it becomes difficult to found the right one...
  3. Fischer Silver Bullet : very pleased with the sound: soundstage, detailed, clear, good amount of bass, but the housing was too big/too heavy for my ears so I sold them unfortunately
  4. Hifiman RE-0 because I wanted to give them a try and I knew I could compensate the bass with the bass-boost option of my Cmoy but still I find them a bit too dry, I'm clearly not "WOWed"

So I'm looking for detail, soundstage with good bass amount, good isolation, which can be worn straight down. I made some research here and it seems that the following IEMs are recommanded for a Silver Bullet lover:
PR401, JVC FX500, HiSoundAudio Crystal, JVC FXT90, Sunrise Xcape IE

I used Cmoy BB & Cowon S9.

Thank you all for confirmation or any other recommandation!

Dec 9, 2011 at 1:56 PM Post #5,081 of 16,931
I guess u should add Future Sonics Atrio MG7 in ur list,the bass is
basshead.gif

Dec 9, 2011 at 6:13 PM Post #5,082 of 16,931

Hi joker,
smile.gif

this is my first post but it is already some time since I read this thread and I learned to trust your expertise with feedback that I got through comparative evidence made by me.
wink.gif

I started with 

-Philips SHE 9700 was the first and I do not mind despite entry level and outdated 

-Philips SHE 9800 bought for an upgrade, IMHO a downgrade 
rolleyes.gif

-Shure SE215 I like it, great, but I'd had a greater extent on acute 

-Sunrise Excape IE-I like very much but I want deeper bass, for this I tried to take the 

-Xears Nature 3i deep bass and technically valid but dark then I tried to take the 

-Brainwavz M2 and average good very transparent and I like that they are slightly forward and accentuated bass but not at the level of the Sunrise, then I tried to take the 

-Beyerdynamic DTX101iE even if I had read your review where you said that he had too much bass, now I used with a biflange of Xcape which I removed the smaller part. I insert it very superficially to minimize too much bass preserving in this way a part of  the deep bass and minimizing the effect brought by the preponderance of dark. I lose in isolation but in this way the sound is not bad but it is an unsafe attachment for use on the road and at the moment at home used only. 

At this point I need your help. Please
smile.gif

I prefer conventional housings with headphones Beyerdynamic type or Brainwavz M2, because I noticed that even though I like the sound, use rarely Shure you can wear just because only over the ear. 

I did not think to  the IE8 or GR07 precisely for this reason. 

I like deep bass  but must not compromise balanced and nor make dark sound. Good medium-treble not sibilance but extended. 
cool.gif

Thank you 
popcorn.gif
biggrin.gif

Edit: What do you think of Fischer Audio SBA-03?  Has sufficient ' bass ' for me?

Dec 9, 2011 at 7:24 PM Post #5,083 of 16,931
Thank you.
That is very interesting. Just wanted to give a thumbs up.

Just trying to make this sure.
The Brainwavz M2 isn't neutral right? I've heard that it has a very neutral sound, with a nice tilt of the bass.. Sort of like the Sunrise or maybe the Klipsch S4. It might impress friends, but a neutral sound is not what I'm looking for..

Just trying to clear things up for me..

Thanks very much.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back