Multi-IEM Review - 352 IEMs compared (Pump Audio Earphones added 04/03/16 p. 1106)
Dec 10, 2011 at 1:58 AM Post #5,086 of 16,931
Quote:
Hi all,
I've been adviced by a member to put my request here, so let's go:
I would like to start this thread by telling my own story, I think it will help to recommand me some nice IEMs
wink.gif

So, it did not take that long to find the perfect headphones for me, I started with :

1. AKG K518DJ, I liked the sound but some problem with comfort and maybe a bit too bassier
  2. then MEelec HT-21s, did not like it, clear but sound too dry for me. (somewhat the opposite of 518DJ)
  3. Alessandro MS1: was definitely my taste but way too uncomfortable & of course it leaks too much even for home-use
  4. Denon D1001, I liked it so much that I decided to pull the trigger and buy D2000, I'm in looooove !!!

So I did not spend a lot of time to test many different things, lucky me! But when it comes to IEMs (for travel, gym etc...), that's another story!

1. I started with Meelec M6 & M9, pleased especially with M6 but did not like the fit over-the-ear and wanted something more refined
  2. Brainwavz M1 thanks to ljokerl review , I still have them, I would like an upgrade but it becomes difficult to found the right one...
  3. Fischer Silver Bullet : very pleased with the sound: soundstage, detailed, clear, good amount of bass, but the housing was too big/too heavy for my ears so I sold them unfortunately
  4. Hifiman RE-0 because I wanted to give them a try and I knew I could compensate the bass with the bass-boost option of my Cmoy but still I find them a bit too dry, I'm clearly not "WOWed"

So I'm looking for detail, soundstage with good bass amount, good isolation, which can be worn straight down. I made some research here and it seems that the following IEMs are recommanded for a Silver Bullet lover:
PR401, JVC FX500, HiSoundAudio Crystal, JVC FXT90, Sunrise Xcape IE

I used Cmoy BB & Cowon S9.

Thank you all for confirmation or any other recommandation!

I don't really consider the PR401 and Crystal to be upgrades from the Silver Bullets. The PR401 has less bass and not as much detail and the Crystal is more dry and not as spacious. The FX500 has below-average isolation. The Xcape IE fits your requirements but the jury is still out on whether the build has been improved. I would recommend the Fischer Tandem instead except that the housing is quite large. The FXT90 is more comfortable. I am still unsure on where I would rank the sound - somewhere between the Tandem and GR07 but I haven't listened to it very much. It does fit your requirements, though.

Quote:

Hi joker,
smile.gif

this is my first post but it is already some time since I read this thread and I learned to trust your expertise with feedback that I got through comparative evidence made by me.
wink.gif

I started with 

-Philips SHE 9700 was the first and I do not mind despite entry level and outdated 

-Philips SHE 9800 bought for an upgrade, IMHO a downgrade 
rolleyes.gif

-Shure SE215 I like it, great, but I'd had a greater extent on acute 

-Sunrise Excape IE-I like very much but I want deeper bass, for this I tried to take the 

-Xears Nature 3i deep bass and technically valid but dark then I tried to take the 

-Brainwavz M2 and average good very transparent and I like that they are slightly forward and accentuated bass but not at the level of the Sunrise, then I tried to take the 

-Beyerdynamic DTX101iE even if I had read your review where you said that he had too much bass, now I used with a biflange of Xcape which I removed the smaller part. I insert it very superficially to minimize too much bass preserving in this way a part of  the deep bass and minimizing the effect brought by the preponderance of dark. I lose in isolation but in this way the sound is not bad but it is an unsafe attachment for use on the road and at the moment at home used only. 

At this point I need your help. Please
smile.gif

I prefer conventional housings with headphones Beyerdynamic type or Brainwavz M2, because I noticed that even though I like the sound, use rarely Shure you can wear just because only over the ear. 

I did not think to  the IE8 or GR07 precisely for this reason. 

I like deep bass  but must not compromise balanced and nor make dark sound. Good medium-treble not sibilance but extended. 
cool.gif

Thank you 
popcorn.gif
biggrin.gif

Edit: What do you think of Fischer Audio SBA-03?  Has sufficient ' bass ' for me?

No, SBA-03 won't have enough bass. FA Tandem should - it's a little deeper than the Xcape IE - but it probably won't have enough treble emphasis. I would look a the JVC FX500 and maybe the FXT90. FX500 has very deep bass, I think you would like it, and decent treble presence but tends to be a little harsh, especially at higher volumes. The FXT90 is neither as bassy nor as harsh - it lacks the bass power of the N3i and DTX 101 but should have more than an Xcape IE. Depth seems decent but not FX500-good from my early listening. 

Quote:
Thank you.
That is very interesting. Just wanted to give a thumbs up.

Just trying to make this sure.
The Brainwavz M2 isn't neutral right? I've heard that it has a very neutral sound, with a nice tilt of the bass.. Sort of like the Sunrise or maybe the Klipsch S4. It might impress friends, but a neutral sound is not what I'm looking for..

Just trying to clear things up for me..

Thanks very much.

The M2 is not at all neutral, if by neutral you mean lacking the coloration that results from emphasis or de-emphasis of particular frequencies. The M2 emphasizes both the bass and parts of the midrange.

Quote:
hey joker (or anyone with this knowledge)

would a full size headphone like a sony mdrv6 outperform a ue600/superfi5? if not i dont see the need to waste my money. i want to get a pair to sit at my desk with, so i dont need the small portablilty of the iem if i can get an even better sound out of a pair of cans. thanks

It depends on the headphone - they all perform differently. I would say the V6 is better than the SF5 but it's a different signature so not really a necessary comparison. If the Creative Aurvana Live is still $60 at Amazon I would recommend that as a good all-rounder.

Dec 10, 2011 at 2:23 PM Post #5,088 of 16,931

Quote:

No, SBA-03 won't have enough bass. FA Tandem should - it's a little deeper than the Xcape IE - but it probably won't have enough treble emphasis. I would look a the JVC FX500 and maybe the FXT90. FX500 has very deep bass, I think you would like it, and decent treble presence but tends to be a little harsh, especially at higher volumes. The FXT90 is neither as bassy nor as harsh - it lacks the bass power of the N3i and DTX 101 but should have more than an Xcape IE. Depth seems decent but not FX500-good from my early listening. 

Reading my post I don't know if I explained it well. Sorry. 
confused_face.gif

I like bass with sub bass. The IEM must have them, I don't think being a bass-head  and the n3i and Beyerdynamic DTX 101 have too much bass for me. 

The purchase of these IEM was an involuntary  mistake. 
frown.gif

I like the bass depth of  n3i and Beyerdynamic but the amount is too much. When using these IEM, I equalize lowering the level of at least 3-4 db or do I have to insert the tip letting go air, although this is a difficult exercise in balancing acts. 
biggrin.gif

The bass amount of Xcape ie, for me, is sufficient, except that in some passages you feel lacking in depth and this is what I try. 

Also the Shure SE215 as quantity satisfies me. 

Recapping:

I love deep bass, for me are required, but must not compromise balanced and nor make dark sound. Good medium-treble not sibilance but extended.

I prefer conventional housings with headphones Beyerdynamic type or Brainwavz M2, because I noticed that even though I like the sound, use rarely Shure you can wear just because only over the ear. I did not think to  the IE8 or GR07 precisely for this reason. 

Excuse me if I dwell much but I am not, as you will understand, an IEM expert. 

With these clarifications, what do you think? 
smile.gif

Thank you 

Dec 10, 2011 at 6:01 PM Post #5,091 of 16,931
Added Clear Tune Monitors CTM-200

Quote:
(1C14) Clear Tune Monitors CTM-200

Reviewed Dec 2011

Details: Dual-driver custom from Florida-based Clear Tune Monitors
Current Price: est. $350 from cleartunemonitors.com (MSRP: est. $350)
Specs: Driver: Dual BA | Imp: 17.5Ω | Sens: 110 dB | Freq: 20-15.5k Hz | Cable: 4.6’ L-plug
Nozzle Size: N/A | Preferred tips: N/A
Wear Style: Over-the-ear

Accessories (3.5/5) – Velvet storage/carrying case and cleaning tool
Build Quality (5/5) – The CTM-200 utilizes a two-way, dual-bore setup with a Knowles CI-22955 and ED-23619 in each earpiece. The build is good – the exterior of the acrylic shells is clean and free of scratches, with a bit of bubbling on the inside but fantastically clear faceplates. The earphones set themselves apart from the similarly-priced 1964EARS 1964-T by the careful finish of the bores and cable sockets and look more polished than the cheaper Kozee X1 as well. Eighteen color options are available; custom artwork and two-tone schemes for the shells and faceplates each command very a reasonable $25 premium. The cable uses a Westone-size socket and a slightly raised connector
Isolation (4.5/5) – The isolation provided by the fitted acrylic shells is excellent -slightly below what the higher-end Etymotic Research earphones are capable of with foam or tri-flange tips but higher than that of the ergonomic monitors from Westone and EarSonics
Microphonics (5/5) – Pretty much nonexistent, as is the case with all of the custom monitors I’ve come across
Comfort (5/5) – Putting the customs in requires a bit of getting used to but the twisting motion eventually becomes second nature. The acrylic shells are hard but not in the least uncomfortable when fitted correctly. The fit of the CTM-200 depends on the quality of the initial impressions and skill of the person making the monitors. If the earphones remain even a tiny bit uncomfortable after an initial break-in period, a re-fit is probably a good idea. CTM allows refits for an extremely generous 120 days. There is added cost with shipping the monitors back and, if necessary, getting new impressions but on the whole a perfect fit is well worth the trouble

Sound (9.6/10) – The CTM-200 is billed as a low-cost option for professional musicians and discerning listeners alike. I have no issues with that claim - the sound signature is even enough for it to be used as a reference monitor but at the same time the presentation is fluid and natural, lacking the analytical edge and excessive separation that can interfere with musicality. The bass is only mildly rolled off at the very bottom, otherwise coming across controlled and level. Overall bass quantity is medium, very close to what I would consider ‘neutral’. The mid-bass boost of the similarly-priced 1964EARS 1964-T is nowhere to be found, with the bass of the CTM-200 coming out a touch cleaner and better-defined as a result. The CTM is a little less dynamic and not quite as capable as the 1964-T of belting out the low notes but the gain in resolution will be worth it for many listeners. Compared to the j-phonic K2 SP, the bass of the CTM-200 is similar in quantity but with a greater sensation of impact, likely due to the larger contact area of the custom shell, while the speed and depth are a touch lower. The dynamic-driver VSonic GR07 is also around the same level in terms of bass quantity but has a bit more body and thickness at the expense of detail and resolution.

The midrange transition is smooth and seamless, with zero bleed. Most obvious is just how good the crossover is – the CTM-200 causes the 1964-T to sound concentrated and slightly congested in the midrange, as if there are too many drivers doing the same job. Neither sounds disjointed but the CTM is simply more smooth and relaxed. The mids are less forward than those of the 1964-T but they are by no means recessed. Between the other reasonably well-balanced in-ears, the Audio-Technica CK10 has slightly less midrange presence and the j-phonic K2 SP has slightly more, largely due to its aggressive presentation. Good balance aside, the CTM-200 is also liquid and transparent, not at all dry as the 1964-T tends to be but also slightly less textured and not as aggressively-detailed. The clarity is excellent, note thickness is good, and the tone is very neutral – the K2 SP might sound a touch crisper but it is brighter and thinner-sounding. As a result, the j-phonics come across edgier and more analytical while the CTM-200 is smoother and more organic.

Similarly to the midrange, the treble of the CTM-200 is smooth and non-fatiguing, as it should be with a good monitor. It is clean and clear but those looking for an analytical edge will be disappointed. There is a touch more sparkle compared to the 1964-T but the tuning leans on the safe side on the whole – the VSonic GR07, for example, is noticeably less smooth and tends to accentuate sibilance far more than the CTM-200 does. The ATH-CK10, too, sounds hotter with its treble peak and even the 1964-T is not quite as soft and easy-going despite having slightly more laid-back treble on the whole. Top-end extension is about on-par with the CK10 – some earphones do better but many armature-based sets do worse.

The soundstage of the CTM-200 is rather spacious and the overall sound is big and airy. Whereas the 1964-T is intimate in presentation and has good centering ability, the CTM-200 is well-separated and more diffuse. At times it makes the 1964-T sound downright congested. More interestingly, the headstage is wider than just about anything in my collection. The GR07, RE272 and CK10, while well-rounded in terms of sonic space, fall short of the width of the CTM-200 and the decidedly less spacious K2 SP and 1964-T don’t stand a chance. Those looking for a more 3-dimensional space a-la Earsonics SM3 may be disappointing and the imaging would probably be a little less vague if the headstage wasn’t so big and the dynamics were better but the CTM-200 still performs admirably on all counts.

Lastly, since someone is certainly going to ask, I thought I would compare the CTM-200 to the Unique Melody Miracle. The 3-way, 6-driver, $929 flagship from China-based Unique Melody is not tuned as a reference monitor but it is still my sole benchmark for what a top-tier custom is capable of on a technical level. Keep in mind that the fairness of a comparison between two IEMs so different in purpose and price is dubious at best.

The sound signature of the Miracle is very slightly v-shaped, which means that the midrange of the CTM-200 is more prominent in comparison and the bass and treble are more relaxed. The lows of the Miracle are much more powerful – deeper, thicker, weightier. Impact is more tactile and the bass has rumble to go with its punch. In the midrange the Miracle is again thicker, smoother, and more fluid. Clarity levels are similar but the Miracle is still the more resolving and refined earphone. It is also more dynamic, which has an effect not only on fidelity but also on imaging and positioning. The sonic space of the Miracle is easily more well-rounded and more 3-dimensional while the CTM-200 has a slight upper hand in soundstage width and stereo separation.

Value (9.5/10) – The dual-BA setup used by the CTM-200 is hardly revolutionary but the sound produced by the entry-level custom is excellent. At $350 excluding shipping, impressions, and extras, the CTM-200 is no pricier than many high-end universals but offers the isolation, fit, and customization options of a full-shell custom monitor. The finish is very good compared to the other entry-level customs in my possession and the sound is balanced and spacious. It is not for fans of the dry, overly crisp note presentation of analytical earphones, nor does it have the excessive lushness of certain stage monitors. Instead, the CTM-200 sounds soft and natural, with clarity and detail expected of a BA-based earphone in its price range and a presentation to match. I have been quite impressed with it, and anyone else looking for a balanced monitor in the price range should be as well.

Pros: Very balanced, neutral, and spacious sound; good build quality; excellent long-term comfort
Cons: Correct insertion takes some getting used to; less isolating than silicone-shelled customs

For my full review of the CTM-200 please see here

Quote:
I like bass with sub bass. The IEM must have them, I don't think being a bass-head  and the n3i and Beyerdynamic DTX 101 have too much bass for me. 

The purchase of these IEM was an involuntary  mistake. 
frown.gif

I like the bass depth of  n3i and Beyerdynamic but the amount is too much. When using these IEM, I equalize lowering the level of at least 3-4 db or do I have to insert the tip letting go air, although this is a difficult exercise in balancing acts. 
biggrin.gif

The bass amount of Xcape ie, for me, is sufficient, except that in some passages you feel lacking in depth and this is what I try. 

Also the Shure SE215 as quantity satisfies me. 

Recapping:

I love deep bass, for me are required, but must not compromise balanced and nor make dark sound. Good medium-treble not sibilance but extended.

I prefer conventional housings with headphones Beyerdynamic type or Brainwavz M2, because I noticed that even though I like the sound, use rarely Shure you can wear just because only over the ear. I did not think to  the IE8 or GR07 precisely for this reason. 

The FX500 might have a little too much, then. Tandem should be perfect in bass quantity but again the treble emphasis may not satisfy. The FXT90 should but I need more time with it to be comfortable recommending it.

Quote:
so what does a superfi5 sound like? probably a grado correct, that in your face mid/high? i have $100 to spend on a can, no more no less. i looked at many, including the creative aurvana, but i know i want an open can so they wouldnt match.

so ive narrowed it down (i think) between the grado sr80 and akg 240. next on the list were the audio technica ad700 or a senn hd518

Sony 7506 or sony v6, senn hd280pro, Koss MV1, KRK KNS6400, Shure SRH440, creative aurvana live were all booted for being closed back (unless one of these sound incredibly better than the akg 240 or grado sr80i)
if youve heard any of these, any chance this is true to your ears as well?

the akg 240 are supposed to be very flat. will i lose that 3d, detailed immersive soundstage and placement (like the superfi5 claim to have) if i do decide on these instead of the grado?

thanks so much, you the man

The K240 is probably flat in response, not presentation, but I've never heard them. I've never heard anything else on that list either but Grados are not known for soundstaging. I sold my SR325i because of the poor imaging and lack of 3-D space.

Dec 10, 2011 at 7:07 PM Post #5,093 of 16,931

Quote:
Added Clear Tune Monitors CTM-200

The FX500 might have a little too much, then. Tandem should be perfect in bass quantity but again the treble emphasis may not satisfy. The FXT90 should but I need more time with it to be comfortable recommending it.

The K240 is probably flat in response, not presentation, but I've never heard them. I've never heard anything else on that list either but Grados are not known for soundstaging. I sold my SR325i because of the poor imaging and lack of 3-D space.

How long?
smile.gif
tongue.gif

You know if exists the possibility to buy JVC from Europe to Italy? By States for Italy may take well over a month.
I did a search but could not find anything that was not from the U.S. or ebay Store In Japan, if I could ask you a secure link, possibly via PM? 

The K240 is flat, and I use them for check my records. Equalized can also be fun, they are very comfortable but do not have good insulation.

Dec 10, 2011 at 7:31 PM Post #5,095 of 16,931

Quote:
You know if exists the possibility to buy JVC from Europe to Italy? 

I don't think the FXT-90 is available in Europe, you can try from Japan with http://global.rakuten.com/en/ or Seyo-shop.

Be careful with ebay there are many fakes of the FX500.

Dec 10, 2011 at 8:41 PM Post #5,096 of 16,931

Quote:

I don't think the FXT-90 is available in Europe, you can try from Japan with http://global.rakuten.com/en/ or Seyo-shop.

Be careful with ebay there are many fakes of the FX500.

I gave a look to the site for the FTX-90 and the price seems convenient. 

As regards the price written there 

'Approximate price provided for convenience only ' 

How do I know if they are in stock or preorder? 

I hope to order soon or FTX-90 or (less likely) to the FX500. What do you think of the two? 

Thank you, very kind kiteki 
smile.gif

Dec 10, 2011 at 8:54 PM Post #5,097 of 16,931

I can't find the "convinience only", there are different stores on rakuten, try this one http://global.rakuten.com/en/store/e-earphone/item/10005491/

I haven't heard the FX500 or FXT90 yet, for that price, I think I'll buy a pair as well.

Edit: Oh you mean the shipping, I think the shipping and fees will cost you around $25.

It should indicate when it's in stock or a pre-order.

Dec 11, 2011 at 1:48 AM Post #5,098 of 16,931

Quote:

so you think the superfi5 has a better soundstage better than a grado? probably going to end up buying a k240 if this is the case.

but wait how can a grado sound like a superfi5 when the superfi5 soundstage sounds very good to me, are they tuned similiary at all? lots of people in the cans section did say the grados sound stage is weak though, but great strength in boosted mids/highs and detail up there as well. this sounds like how a superfi5 sounds, no? im confused :frowning2:

thanks so much, cheers

I never said the SF5 sounds like a Grado or vice versa. You'll just have to try them and see for yourself.

Dec 11, 2011 at 2:26 AM Post #5,099 of 16,931
Hi Joker, decided to part from the V shaped sound sig of the TF10 and go for something between warm/sweet and midcentric with dynamic driver.
Which do you recommend:

Atrios G7
Tandem (seems deficient in the hights)
MTP MD or Trumpet

Thank you,
olear

Users who are viewing this thread

Back