Multi-IEM Review - 352 IEMs compared (Pump Audio Earphones added 04/03/16 p. 1106)
Dec 5, 2011 at 5:55 PM Post #5,041 of 16,931
Hey Joker I'm looking at a couple IEMs and I would love your input.

I'm looking at the Sennhieser IE6 on Amazon for $119
Beats Turbines referbs from Monster for $49.95

I listen to rock, alternative, classic (Miles Davis, George Benson, Lee Ritenour), Sinatra. Some Maroon 5, a very little bit of hip hop.
I like good bass if it's meant to be there. I have a pair of 6 or 7 year old Bose and they are okay but too much bass. A bit too muddy I guess. I like a good crisp sound so high end is important also and a measured mid.

Basically I'm looking to spend less than $130 but I want to get a good value and it seems to me that the iE6's are a good value.
Do you know if the referbs from Monster come will everything a new pair does? I know the packaging may be no frills but I can't tell from the site about all the other stuff.

So, what do you think?
Looking forward to your opinion on this.

Dec 5, 2011 at 6:23 PM Post #5,042 of 16,931
Joker,
  Thank you for the fantastic resource, great work!  I keep coming back to your thread over and over.

I have a pair of Westone UM3X, great IEM, but a little bass heavy.  Was in San Jose Airport and stopped by the InMotion store and listened to a pair of the Westone 4, I was impressed, larger sound stage than 3, with less boosted bass.

I would like to try out a pair of custom IEM, my current short list:
Ultimate Ears 4 Pro $399
JH5 Pro $399
1964 T $400

What do you think, get the Westone 4 or jump into customs?

Thank you!

Dec 5, 2011 at 11:29 PM Post #5,045 of 16,931
I assume that many here are familiar with the term 'slashdotted' - SlashDot would publish a tech story in the morning and sites mentioned in said story would have their servers groaning under the load by midday.

Well, I think we need a new term - 'jokered'. Go to the j-phonics site and try to order either version of the K2 .....

Dec 6, 2011 at 12:10 AM Post #5,047 of 16,931

Quote:
The SBA-01 looks interesting, but I'm hesitant to try any FA IEM because I haven't seen one IEM from them that doesn't seem to have shoddy build quality.

The Consonance is pretty sturdy. The SBA-03 probably won't break but the cable could definitely stand to be thicker.

Quote:
Nice SBA03 review. It's surely one of the better single BAs out there, just needs a better cable.

Thanks.

Quote:
Hey Joker great job with the extensive reviews you have on all these different kinds of headphones. I'm looking to buy a new pair of IEMs and having a hard time choosing one. My price range is $200-$300 and I listen to mostly Rap/Hip Hop/Techno/Trance/Rock. Isolation is pretty important to me and I would rather have the hang down style than the around the ear look. Are there any that you can recommend me? Any help would be great thanks!

Not sure what type of sound you prefer but I'd look at the Atrio MG7, Monster Turbine Pro line (if you can get them at <half MSRP), and maybe the ATH-CKM99.

Quote:
Did you hear back? re: IE and Xcited

I did, and the problems have supposedly been fixed, but I want to get my hands on the updated units before I start recommending them again.

Quote:
Hey Joker I'm looking at a couple IEMs and I would love your input.

I'm looking at the Sennhieser IE6 on Amazon for $119
Beats Turbines referbs from Monster for $49.95

I listen to rock, alternative, classic (Miles Davis, George Benson, Lee Ritenour), Sinatra. Some Maroon 5, a very little bit of hip hop.
I like good bass if it's meant to be there. I have a pair of 6 or 7 year old Bose and they are okay but too much bass. A bit too muddy I guess. I like a good crisp sound so high end is important also and a measured mid.

Basically I'm looking to spend less than $130 but I want to get a good value and it seems to me that the iE6's are a good value.
Do you know if the referbs from Monster come will everything a new pair does? I know the packaging may be no frills but I can't tell from the site about all the other stuff.

So, what do you think?
Looking forward to your opinion on this.

I wouldn't pay $130 for an IE6, probably not even $100 with alternatives like the HiSound Crystal and FA Tandem around. Tandem is around $130 and I think it sounds better than the IE7, not just the IE6. Crystal is a very good all-rounder as well at around $100. Turbines at $50 are a good deal but not the most crisp thing out there. I think mine came with some tips but not all. Either way I don't like the stock Turbine tips much and you can get tips online for <$10 - check out the MEElec M11+ tip set for example.

Quote:
Joker,
  Thank you for the fantastic resource, great work!  I keep coming back to your thread over and over.

I have a pair of Westone UM3X, great IEM, but a little bass heavy.  Was in San Jose Airport and stopped by the InMotion store and listened to a pair of the Westone 4, I was impressed, larger sound stage than 3, with less boosted bass.

Ultimate Ears 4 Pro $399
JH5 Pro $399
1964 T $400

Thank you!

If you want a stage as large or larger than that of the W4, I would skip the 1964-T. I could recommend the CTM-200 instead but that's still a different signature to the W4. If you really like the balance of the W4 I would just stick to that unless you can find someone to comment on how both the JH5 and UE4 compare.

Quote:
o.m.g the consonance sounds like my dream headphone, stlylishly sexy, under 100$, about same sound quality as se215, sexy, really sexy, and damn those look sexy 

IIRC it comes in 3 different color schemes too 
wink.gif

Quote:
Hey Joker,

When you receive MP8320, can you put them on the TOP of your review list?

Sorry, there are a number of IEMs I've had on loan for a long time that have priority.

Dec 6, 2011 at 12:20 AM Post #5,048 of 16,931

Quote:
On the contrary, it's most probably due to their most recent announcement.

I'm sorry, but that reeks. If they don't have the ability to market outside Japan, why would they setup a website specifically for non-Japanese customers ? I can see the need for them to have separate operations - fine - but why restrict yourself to one market when they can clearly sell to the world ? A savvy exporter in Japan could really make a killing selling these 'Japanese market only' products to the rest of the world - they do it with cars, and thats a much larger piece of kit to ship .....

Dec 6, 2011 at 2:40 AM Post #5,050 of 16,931

Quote:
I wouldn't pay $130 for an IE6, probably not even $100 with alternatives like the HiSound Crystal and FA Tandem around. Tandem is around $130 and I think it sounds better than the IE7, not just the IE6. Crystal is a very good all-rounder as well at around $100. Turbines at $50 are a good deal but not the most crisp thing out there. I think mine came with some tips but not all. Either way I don't like the stock Turbine tips much and you can get tips online for <$10 - check out the MEElec M11+ tip set for example.

Thanks Joker I decided to give the Turbines a try. I figure $49 is a pretty good deal. I appreciate your input but can you post links to the earbud tips and to Hisound Crystal? I couldn't find them anywhere to see how much they are except one place overseas.

Thanks!!

Dec 6, 2011 at 3:55 AM Post #5,051 of 16,931

Quote:
Quote:

Thanks Joker I decided to give the Turbines a try. I figure $49 is a pretty good deal. I appreciate your input but can you post links to the earbud tips and to Hisound Crystal? I couldn't find them anywhere to see how much they are except one place overseas.

Thanks!!

here http://www.meelec.com/category_s/377.htm

and here http://shop.frogbeats.com/hisoundaudio-crystal (they seem to sell the Crystal with more tips) and http://lendmeurears.com

Dec 6, 2011 at 8:42 AM Post #5,053 of 16,931
Hey Joker, Discovered your thread while on my break at work earlier today and have been reading since, great help for a lost beginner like myself, thought id join up and ask the guru himself.
I am looking to upgrade from my 2 year old Sony XB40EX, reading your review on them mirrored my exact thoughts and was enough to convince me that it was time to upgrade, I listen to a wide variety of music genres  and will be using my iphone and laptop/pc (no soundcard).
Comfort is important coming from the horrible XB40, while I do like bass the sonys make me sick after a short while, I guess good quality over quantity. Isolation is not important but good sound stage would be a nice feel  from the closed feeling I have now.
Going through your list, I have narrowed it down to the EX1000, FX700, Westone 4 and GR07 but am a little worried that I would not be getting the best out of them considering my sources.  Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Dec 6, 2011 at 10:02 AM Post #5,054 of 16,931

Joker,

Ultimate Ears 4 Pro $399
JH5 Pro $399
1964 T $400

Thank you!

If you want a stage as large or larger than that of the W4, I would skip the 1964-T. I could recommend the CTM-200 instead but that's still a different signature to the W4. If you really like the balance of the W4 I would just stick to that unless you can find someone to comment on how both the JH5 and UE4 compare.

Joker you are the best!  I will look into the CTM-200 and will find out about comparisons of the JH5 and the UE4.  

Thank you!

Dec 6, 2011 at 1:05 PM Post #5,055 of 16,931

Quote:
Hey Joker, Discovered your thread while on my break at work earlier today and have been reading since, great help for a lost beginner like myself, thought id join up and ask the guru himself.
I am looking to upgrade from my 2 year old Sony XB40EX, reading your review on them mirrored my exact thoughts and was enough to convince me that it was time to upgrade, I listen to a wide variety of music genres  and will be using my iphone and laptop/pc (no soundcard).
Comfort is important coming from the horrible XB40, while I do like bass the sonys make me sick after a short while, I guess good quality over quantity. Isolation is not important but good sound stage would be a nice feel  from the closed feeling I have now.
Going through your list, I have narrowed it down to the EX1000, FX700, Westone 4 and GR07 but am a little worried that I would not be getting the best out of them considering my sources.  Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I can't speak for the others, but my GR07s sound great out of my iPod and my PC

Users who are viewing this thread

Back