Multi-IEM Review - 352 IEMs compared (Pump Audio Earphones added 04/03/16 p. 1106)
Dec 18, 2014 at 2:05 AM Post #15,256 of 16,931
  i'm really interested in the design of the Sony SBH80 / LG Tone+... i wonder
why good sounding wireless in-ears is a new thing when the technology exists for quite a long time.
do you guys think we should see more in-ears with similar design in the near future?
i was almost going to order the SBH80, but i'm such a picky person, i always have complaints
and i fear the specific design woudlnt stay put behind my neck.
i wish Sony would go for a more LG Tone+ design, and make the earpiece more MDR EX650 design :S

I tried the SBH80 for a few days and thought its design was pretty well thought out for typical commuting purposes, i.e. mostly stationary use and short stretches of walking. I wouldn't recommend it for high activity purposes though.

Surprisingly, it turned out my biggest gripe was that it's rather cumbersome to stow away when not needed. 

Dec 18, 2014 at 9:22 AM Post #15,257 of 16,931
Hey Joker, thanks for the great reviews. I currently have an InEar LivePro 2, which is the custom version of InEar StageDiver 2. I am looking for an upgrade, but I want pretty much the exact same sound signature as SD-2. I want an IEM that is neutral from the bass to the highs, just like the SD-2. I listen to a lot of female vocals, so a tiny little emphasis/forwardness on the upper mids would be great. I also have a lot of badly recorded/mastered music files such as Kpop and Jpop, so an IEM with good treble but is forgiving would be fantastic, again just like the SD-2.

I am currently eyeing on the Unique Melody Miracle and the Noble 4S. Do you think these are a fair upgrade compared to the SD-2 without much change in the overall sound signature? Thanks once again. 

Dec 18, 2014 at 8:44 PM Post #15,258 of 16,931
Hello Joker, how'd you think about the midrange and soundstage of the DN-2000? After my experience with EPH-M200 ( and parted away with it), I learn that my ears are sensitive to forwarded mid-range ( or bloat) and too intimate soundstage. I just hope that DN-2000 isn't like that since it has been my interest to get my 1st hybrid earphones.

Dec 18, 2014 at 9:55 PM Post #15,259 of 16,931
A couple of questions about the Havi B3 Pro I. 1) Does the Havi B3 Pro I have channel imbalance for all of the units? 2) How is the fit for small/medium ears? I don't want to make a mistake on buying the Havi B3 Pro I tonight.

Dec 18, 2014 at 11:26 PM Post #15,260 of 16,931
I bought a pair of Sennheiser IE 800s two days ago, which didn't still arrive, but I'm quite excited since they will be my first top-notch IEMs. In fact, my last ones were a modest CX 281s (which I really enjoyed and sadly I lost) and a Monster N-Ergys, so the gap should be huge. :D

Just for curiosity, joker, which of the three "mainstream" top-notch universals do you prefer? I mean Shure SE846, AKG K3003i and Senns IE 800, pros and cons of all of them (and also between each other) would be nice, too.

Thanks for your splendid reviews once again. I have to confess that I got interested in the portable Hi-Fi audio mainly by you.

Dec 19, 2014 at 3:24 AM Post #15,261 of 16,931
  Hey Joker, thanks for the great reviews. I currently have an InEar LivePro 2, which is the custom version of InEar StageDiver 2. I am looking for an upgrade, but I want pretty much the exact same sound signature as SD-2. I want an IEM that is neutral from the bass to the highs, just like the SD-2. I listen to a lot of female vocals, so a tiny little emphasis/forwardness on the upper mids would be great. I also have a lot of badly recorded/mastered music files such as Kpop and Jpop, so an IEM with good treble but is forgiving would be fantastic, again just like the SD-2.

I am currently eyeing on the Unique Melody Miracle and the Noble 4S. Do you think these are a fair upgrade compared to the SD-2 without much change in the overall sound signature? Thanks once again. 

Hmm... good question. The Noble 4S and UM Miracle are slightly different takes on neutral sound than the SD-2. The SD-2 tends to be a little darker than neutral to my ear, in part due to that forgiving treble you're talking about. The Miracle leans a bit in the opposite direction. I still think it' quite smooth, but it's definitely brighter, to the point where I wouldn't call it forgiving.

The 4S is more of a compromise between the Miracle and SD-2. It has a brighter sound with less of an upper midrange recession than the SD-2, but is still smoother and more relaxed than the Miracle. It has a little more midrange emphasis than the Miracle, too, though it lacks some of the bass depth and punch. Still sounds like it's a better match for what you want.

Hello Joker, how'd you think about the midrange and soundstage of the DN-2000? After my experience with EPH-M200 ( and parted away with it), I learn that my ears are sensitive to forwarded mid-range ( or bloat) and too intimate soundstage. I just hope that DN-2000 isn't like that since it has been my interest to get my 1st hybrid earphones.

The mids of the DN-2000 are not forward. Maybe even a bit recessed - I'd say it has a mildly v-shaped signature. No problems with the soundstage, either - it's pretty wide as mildly v-shaped earphones tend to be.

A couple of questions about the Havi B3 Pro I. 1) Does the Havi B3 Pro I have channel imbalance for all of the units? 2) How is the fit for small/medium ears? I don't want to make a mistake on buying the Havi B3 Pro I tonight.

Well, if every unit was imbalanced I imagine their earphones wouldn't be as popular as they are. I haven't had great luck with them, but I seem to be in the minority and I also think I'm more sensitive to imbalances than most. 

Ergonomics-wise they are quite good - no worse than a Shure or a VSonic or something. 

I bought a pair of Sennheiser IE 800s two days ago, which didn't still arrive, but I'm quite excited since they will be my first top-notch IEMs. In fact, my last ones were a modest CX 281s (which I really enjoyed and sadly I lost) and a Monster N-Ergys, so the gap should be huge. :D

Just for curiosity, joker, which of the three "mainstream" top-notch universals do you prefer? I mean Shure SE846, AKG K3003i and Senns IE 800, pros and cons of all of them (and also between each other) would be nice, too.

Thanks for your splendid reviews once again. I have to confess that I got interested in the portable Hi-Fi audio mainly by you.

Wow, I'm very flattered to hear that :)

As for universals - I'd have to say it's the K3003. My ears don't agree with the SE846 (it's quite large) and I do prefer the AKGs to the IE 800, Ultrasone IQ, and the less expensive universal crop like your Westones and UEs and whatnot. 

Dec 19, 2014 at 3:34 AM Post #15,262 of 16,931
If anyone wants a chance at a free NarMoo R1M, we're giving some away: http://theheadphonelist.com/the-great-narmoo-r1m-giveaway/ . Sadly the R1M is not a K3003, but still a fun variable-tuning earphone. 

Dec 19, 2014 at 11:57 AM Post #15,265 of 16,931
Quote:
Wow, I'm very flattered to hear that :)  
As for universals - I'd have to say it's the K3003. My ears don't agree with the SE846 (it's quite large) and I do prefer the AKGs to the IE 800, Ultrasone IQ, and the less expensive universal crop like your Westones and UEs and whatnot. 

Interesting, seems like the AKGs are very competent despite the high price (as other hybrid IEMs).

Do you prefer the IE 800 to the SE846 as well? Specially for classical/instrumental, which are my main generes. I asked because I could have gotten the Shures instead, but I decided to the Sennheisers due the "dynamical" capabilities.

I hope to see your review of the IE 800s here (apart of InnerFidelity). :)

Greetings!

Dec 20, 2014 at 3:59 AM Post #15,266 of 16,931
  i am very curious, as there is a very good sale for ie800, with a nice price, how do they compare, soundstage, and treble to k3003. 

Due to some of the tuning solutions implemented in the IE800 I think it may have more variance in the treble region for listeners than most IEMs. I personally found it a little thin and splashy. The K3003 is not exactly a hallmark of smoothness what with the TWFK driver and all, but it's not splashy or tizzy (and you also have the three tuning ports, which affect treble most strongly, to play with). Soundstaging is a close call. I would probably still give the nod to the K3003 because the bass of the IE 800 can be a little more intrusive, which isn't great for soundstaging. 

My comment here has a little more info on the subject of the IE 800's treble: http://www.innerfidelity.com/comment/488906#comment-488906 

Interesting, seems like the AKGs are very competent despite the high price (as other hybrid IEMs).

Do you prefer the IE 800 to the SE846 as well? Specially for classical/instrumental, which are my main generes. I asked because I could have gotten the Shures instead, but I decided to the Sennheisers due the "dynamical" capabilities.

I hope to see your review of the IE 800s here (apart of InnerFidelity). :)

Greetings!

I don't really want to comment on the sound of the Shures as I really hated the fit and it's very possible I didn't hear them at their best. Don't want to steer anyone away from what could potentially be a good earphone for them. It just wasn't for me. 

Dec 20, 2014 at 5:19 AM Post #15,267 of 16,931
Hello Joker,

I was just wondering how good the isolation is on the Sony mdr-7550/EX800ST? Would other people be able to tell what your listening to if they sat close to you? How is the timbre, imaging, bass, soundstage and vocals on these? I tend to prefer iem's with intimate/airy vocals, excellent imaging where you can pin point where everything are, excellent timbre, speed and bass (I don't like a lot of bass but I feel you do need an adequate amount of bass sometimes for some instruments to sound realistic like acoustic/electric guitars etc. So I like quality more than quantity).  

Do you think they suit my preferences? Thanks.

Dec 20, 2014 at 6:12 AM Post #15,268 of 16,931

Due to some of the tuning solutions implemented in the IE800 I think it may have more variance in the treble region for listeners than most IEMs. I personally found it a little thin and splashy. The K3003 is not exactly a hallmark of smoothness what with the TWFK driver and all, but it's not splashy or tizzy (and you also have the three tuning ports, which affect treble most strongly, to play with). Soundstaging is a close call. I would probably still give the nod to the K3003 because the bass of the IE 800 can be a little more intrusive, which isn't great for soundstaging. 

My comment here has a little more info on the subject of the IE 800's treble: http://www.innerfidelity.com/comment/488906#comment-488906 

I don't really want to comment on the sound of the Shures as I really hated the fit and it's very possible I didn't hear them at their best. Don't want to steer anyone away from what could potentially be a good earphone for them. It just wasn't for me. 

did not know about that comment... what i still don't know, is if ie800 has more treble? my actual rig has.. let's say that the treble is louder than the rest of the music. and i love it. this is why i am debating between ie800 and k3003. i want as much treble as possible, even more the very high end of treble 12-20khz.

Dec 20, 2014 at 1:35 PM Post #15,269 of 16,931
  did not know about that comment... what i still don't know, is if ie800 has more treble? my actual rig has.. let's say that the treble is louder than the rest of the music. and i love it. this is why i am debating between ie800 and k3003. i want as much treble as possible, even more the very high end of treble 12-20khz.

How about getting an audition the K3003 without applying any of its nozzle filter then let us know if its enough for ya?
popcorn.gif

Dec 20, 2014 at 2:16 PM Post #15,270 of 16,931
No offense, If you live in US, I can just simply send you XBA-30 for free (so I won't get charged for international shipping) ; remove the filter out and you'll have the treble you'd need 
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back