Multi-Custom In-Ear Monitor Review, Resource, Mfg List & Discussion (Check first post for review links & information)
Jun 18, 2015 at 4:44 PM Post #4,653 of 4,841
  My M-Fidelty SA-43 review has been posted. 

http://www.head-fi.org/products/m-fidelity-sa-43-custom-in-ear-monitors/reviews/13394

Going to go read it in a few minutes.

Aug 31, 2015 at 3:06 AM Post #4,656 of 4,841
This is a general CIEM question and so I thought it was best to post it here. I was wondering whether there are any safety issues with having extra long nozzles with a CIEM. For example, having the nozzles built as long as a triple flange tip for a universal IEM. Would it have any detrimental effect on sound? Thanks.

Aug 31, 2015 at 7:40 AM Post #4,657 of 4,841
  This is a general CIEM question and so I thought it was best to post it here. I was wondering whether there are any safety issues with having extra long nozzles with a CIEM. For example, having the nozzles built as long as a triple flange tip for a universal IEM. Would it have any detrimental effect on sound? Thanks.

It will have an effect on the sound, whether it is a good one or bad one, that depends on the monitor and tuning I guess. Usually making the canals long in ciems bring the midrange more upfront but it is not a rule and it doesn't have to be this way all the time. Long story short, yes it will have an impact on the sound, the length of the canal is determined precisely according to the tuning and sound signature.

As for the health, well you would want to keep your membrane untouched I believe. I had several very long canal ciems, none of them became dangerous for me so surely the manufacturers know what they are doing.

Sep 4, 2015 at 2:33 AM Post #4,658 of 4,841

Funny you ask, I was just showing someone else how deep mine go. 

Another way to look at it is that my musician fit CIEMs allow me to get great detail at lower volumes which is good for the ear. I am not sure that I would want it any other way. However, the ADEL module in the A12 definitely gave me confidence that I could turn it up without ear damage. So I guess it is how you use it as well. 

Sep 20, 2015 at 1:11 PM Post #4,659 of 4,841

It will have an effect on the sound, whether it is a good one or bad one, that depends on the monitor and tuning I guess. Usually making the canals long in ciems bring the midrange more upfront but it is not a rule and it doesn't have to be this way all the time. Long story short, yes it will have an impact on the sound, the length of the canal is determined precisely according to the tuning and sound signature.

As for the health, well you would want to keep your membrane untouched I believe. I had several very long canal ciems, none of them became dangerous for me so surely the manufacturers know what they are doing.

Is there a big difference between nozzles that extend to the 2nd bend of the ear canal and those that go just past there? I've been toying with the idea of getting a CIEM for a while and was offered the choice of getting "long canals" for the Westone ES60, which would go just past the 2nd bend. I like the idea of a nice deep fit (I use triple flange tips with my universal Westone W40), but past the 2nd bend sounds like it could be painful.

Sep 20, 2015 at 1:37 PM Post #4,660 of 4,841
It's not painful, it's done to be comfortable, but the feeling of wearing a ciem is more present with a longer canal than a short one. Isolation is for me the same as I've done excellent earprints for both my ciem.

Sep 21, 2015 at 1:52 AM Post #4,661 of 4,841

Is there a big difference between nozzles that extend to the 2nd bend of the ear canal and those that go just past there? I've been toying with the idea of getting a CIEM for a while and was offered the choice of getting "long canals" for the Westone ES60, which would go just past the 2nd bend. I like the idea of a nice deep fit (I use triple flange tips with my universal Westone W40), but past the 2nd bend sounds like it could be painful.

Difference? Well it depends on how you feel when you put a nicely fit ciem in your ears. Short canals supposed to be more comfortable but my experience tells me if your ear impressions are good and the manufacturer knows its job, long canals are also extremely comfortable too. Thus, I prefer long canals actually. Considering both have excellent fit, I hear a small increase in isolation but it is not that important, if the fit is good, both short and long canals should serve well in terms of isolation.

Painful? There is only pain if your ear impressions are bad and building process was not excellent. It can happen both with long and short canals mate.

Oct 27, 2015 at 5:59 AM Post #4,663 of 4,841
  Hello, I'm having some fit issues with my Hidition NT-6.  I posted in its thread, but wanted to post here as well to get some advice.  Here is a summary of the issues I am experiencing.

1) The right earpiece feels a little looser in my ear.  I notice it especially when I yawn or move my jaw. This doesn't happen with the left.

2) The right earpiece also cause some discomfort/pain in my ear when I move it around. This also doesn't happen with the left.

3) My right ear also feels "sensitive" after I remove the earpiece.  This does go away eventually and it is not severe pain.  Again this doesn't happen with the left.

4) I tried the seal test on the Sensaphonics website several times.  I can hear both tones in both ears, but in the right both tones sound quieter than the left.

5) I had tried measuring the canals for both earpieces and thought they were the same length, but my work colleague tried and is convinced the right is about 2mm longer than the left.

Does anybody have any suggestions on what the problem could be?  Could the slight difference in length between the right and left canals be causing these issues (including the volume difference)?  Is my best option to return the NT-6 to Hidition to fix this?  Thanks in advance for any help.

The fit is obviously bad. How long have you had them, because you can get used to slight discomfort and it can go away. But lose fit will not go away. What I advise is to retake prints with a good audiologist who knows CIEMs and follow exactly Hidition's instructions. Back and forth with them is tedious as they do not speak english and take several days to translate each email and translate their answer.

Oct 27, 2015 at 1:27 PM Post #4,665 of 4,841
  Hello, I'm having some fit issues with my Hidition NT-6.  I posted in its thread, but wanted to post here as well to get some advice.  Here is a summary of the issues I am experiencing.

1) The right earpiece feels a little looser in my ear.  I notice it especially when I yawn or move my jaw. This doesn't happen with the left.

2) The right earpiece also cause some discomfort/pain in my ear when I move it around. This also doesn't happen with the left.

3) My right ear also feels "sensitive" after I remove the earpiece.  This does go away eventually and it is not severe pain.  Again this doesn't happen with the left.

4) I tried the seal test on the Sensaphonics website several times.  I can hear both tones in both ears, but in the right both tones sound quieter than the left.

5) I had tried measuring the canals for both earpieces and thought they were the same length, but my work colleague tried and is convinced the right is about 2mm longer than the left.

Does anybody have any suggestions on what the problem could be?  Could the slight difference in length between the right and left canals be causing these issues (including the volume difference)?  Is my best option to return the NT-6 to Hidition to fix this?  Thanks in advance for any help.

There can be tons of reasons...because it's a CIEM. And everyone's ears are different. I can honestly tell you, I only have like 1 or 2 perfect fitting CIEMs out of 10 plus CIEMs. There are issues here and there, and it's always been my right ear....Usually you get used to the little discomfort, or you take breaks between listening sections. And If you are lucky, I mean very lucky, you will get it fixed by remold the right ear piece one more time.  If you got very sensitive or weird shaped right ear (like me), then you need to consider if this is worth it. But if the tone is not centered (assuming all drivers are functioning), then you definitely need to adjust the canal lengths. 

Good luck buddy~. I hope one refit will solve the problem. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back