Multi-Custom In-Ear Monitor Review, Resource, Mfg List & Discussion (Check first post for review links & information)
Nov 6, 2015 at 4:18 AM Post #4,681 of 4,841
Does anyone have any suggestions for a CIEM with a W-shaped sound signature? To be more precise, slightly forward vocals and some extra emphasis in the bass and treble. The emphasis in the treble area is more important than the bass as I prefer a bright sound, although I don't want something lacking in bass either. I am definitely looking for a clear, dynamic sound rather than something smooth. No real limit in terms of budget. Any recommendations would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Nov 6, 2015 at 7:18 AM Post #4,684 of 4,841
  Does anyone have any suggestions for a CIEM with a W-shaped sound signature? To be more precise, slightly forward vocals and some extra emphasis in the bass and treble. The emphasis in the treble area is more important than the bass as I prefer a bright sound, although I don't want something lacking in bass either. I am definitely looking for a clear, dynamic sound rather than something smooth. No real limit in terms of budget. Any recommendations would be much appreciated. Thanks.

The Noble Audio Kaiser 10 is a very good earphone, but I’m not sure if it meets your requirements. To me it is more smooth than dynamic and while it has good treble extension, it is not bright sounding.  You should probably demo it before you buy it.

You may want to consider the old version of the Hidition NT6.  It has a boost in the bass and treble and vocal presentation is supposed to be more intimate than the new version.  There is a detailed review by somebody who bought the old version on this website.  The only problem is Hidition’s customer service.  I found them very difficult to communicate with in English and another customer has also had problems recently.

Nov 6, 2015 at 7:24 AM Post #4,685 of 4,841

You can have a look to Lear LCM-BD4.2 or W500. They don't have too forward midranges (W500 has a bit more forward and bolder midrange than Lear, but less presentation/stage depth), but I think their general presentations may be suitable for your needs. 

Edit: W500 is closer to be a W shape than Lear, but with a more relaxed sound.. 

Nov 6, 2015 at 8:50 AM Post #4,686 of 4,841

You could check out Jelt's "Fit for a Bat" thread.  Sounds like maybe the SE 5U?

Nov 6, 2015 at 10:33 AM Post #4,688 of 4,841
I'd say the LCM BD4.2 is definetly a good idea.
Maybe some of the new Empire Ears products as well.

Nov 6, 2015 at 12:18 PM Post #4,689 of 4,841

The Noble Audio Kaiser 10 is a very good earphone, but I’m not sure if it meets your requirements. To me it is more smooth than dynamic and while it has good treble extension, it is not bright sounding.  You should probably demo it before you buy it.

You may want to consider the old version of the Hidition NT6.  It has a boost in the bass and treble and vocal presentation is supposed to be more intimate than the new version.  There is a detailed review by somebody who bought the old version on this website.  The only problem is Hidition’s customer service.  I found them very difficult to communicate with in English and another customer has also had problems recently.

I second the Hidition suggestion, but suggest the Pro vs. the non-Pro. My pro fits that "W" description nicely. Furthermore, it is extraordinarily transparent with no warmth providing a very detailed signature and sound stage. When I say no warmth, I mean that it has loads of bass, but only when it is in the music vs. the always on JH lineup or K10. The Hidition is also considered to be a bright signature, but I have never found it harsh or sibilent - just detailed. And yes, the bass hits hard and deep with loads of quality detail.

Nov 6, 2015 at 1:41 PM Post #4,690 of 4,841
I second the Hidition suggestion, but suggest the Pro vs. the non-Pro. My pro fits that "W" description nicely. Furthermore, it is extraordinarily transparent with no warmth providing a very detailed signature and sound stage. When I say no warmth, I mean that it has loads of bass, but only when it is in the music vs. the always on JH lineup or K10. The Hidition is also considered to be a bright signature, but I have never found it harsh or sibilent - just detailed. And yes, the bass hits hard and deep with loads of quality detail.

That sounds great...

Nov 7, 2015 at 10:21 AM Post #4,691 of 4,841
  Maybe EM32? I remembering reading it has lifts in both bass and treble but also front stage positioning?

Yep, closest one I can think of so far. 

SE5 ref is up there with it too, except the bass in the neutral. 

Nov 7, 2015 at 10:51 AM Post #4,692 of 4,841

This sounds like a case for the Solar! The Solar has enhanced, but fast and clean bass. A nice full sounding midrange, with a lift in the upper midrange around 3khz giving a beautiful coloration to vocals and (electric) guitars. Another lift around 5khz gives it treble sparkle. I wouldn't call it bright though, I think brightness implies an over representation of the high frequencies. It is more clear and natural sounding.

Ps. I have the Velvet which is derived from the EM32, basically a universal EM32 sharing the same drivers and crossover. The Velvet is more U-shaped than W-shaped, as bass is enhanced and treble is upfront. I love them both, but would recommend the Solar for instrument-based music as its midrange outclasses the Velvet, while the Velvets signature excels for synthetic-based music with vocals: EDM with vocals, hip hop, rock with fast guitars (IMO).

Nov 7, 2015 at 1:54 PM Post #4,693 of 4,841
Ps. I have the Velvet which is derived from the EM32, basically a universal EM32 sharing the same drivers and crossover. The Velvet is more U-shaped than W-shaped, as bass is enhanced and treble is upfront. I love them both, but would recommend the Solar for instrument-based music as its midrange outclasses the Velvet, while the Velvets signature excels for synthetic-based music with vocals: EDM with vocals, hip hop, rock with fast guitars (IMO).

I have heard Velvet many times but never had a chance to try EM32 honestly. Now, from what I heard about Velvet pretty much matches with what I am hearing but if I compare it with what I "read" about the EM32, I don't feel the connection you mentioned between them.

Honestly, whenever I see your posts or reviews, you put a smile on my face I really like your style and the way you describe things but I am not sure about this EM32-Velvet thingy my friend. Do you have any source to support what you claim or have you heard both of them?

In case it is not clear what I am trying to say, I was talking about the EM32 is simply being Velvet in custom form and they share the very same drivers and crossover systems.

Nov 7, 2015 at 2:18 PM Post #4,694 of 4,841
So.. if I understand correctly you're asking what my source is? I've asked EarSonics and they confirmed. From what I've understood the differences are very similar, I'm not even sure if there are significant technical differences or the difference in sound is mainly from universal - custom.

I've asked Rolkk2 a bit about it on the EM32 thread a while back, he demoed the Velvet a bit maybe he can comment. I was on the verge of buying Alexander's EM32 a couple of times as a custom upgrade since I like the Velvet so much, but costwise it didn't make sense.

Nov 7, 2015 at 2:40 PM Post #4,695 of 4,841
So.. if I understand correctly you're asking what my source is? I've asked EarSonics and they confirmed. From what I've understood the differences are very similar, I'm not even sure if there are significant technical differences or the difference in sound is mainly from universal - custom.

I've asked Rolkk2 a bit about it on the EM32 thread a while back, he demoed the Velvet a bit maybe he can comment. I was on the verge of buying Alexander's EM32 a couple of times as a custom upgrade since I like the Velvet so much, but costwise it didn't make sense.

Wow, didn't know about that really, thank you very much mate, I appreciate that. I was also quite interested in EM32 cuz I like my bass impactful and all but if it is pretty much like the Velvet, it can wait honestly. While I like the Velvet's bass section and general warmness, technical capabilities were not up to the level that I am used to. It wasn't bad, it is just, I have better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back