Multi-Custom In-Ear Monitor Review, Resource, Mfg List & Discussion (Check first post for review links & information)
Oct 27, 2015 at 8:38 PM Post #4,666 of 4,841
  There can be tons of reasons...because it's a CIEM. And everyone's ears are different. I can honestly tell you, I only have like 1 or 2 perfect fitting CIEMs out of 10 plus CIEMs. There are issues here and there, and it's always been my right ear....Usually you get used to the little discomfort, or you take breaks between listening sections. And If you are lucky, I mean very lucky, you will get it fixed by remold the right ear piece one more time.  If you got very sensitive or weird shaped right ear (like me), then you need to consider if this is worth it. But if the tone is not centered (assuming all drivers are functioning), then you definitely need to adjust the canal lengths

Good luck buddy~. I hope one refit will solve the problem. 

I don't understand.  How would the canal length have to do with the fit?  Isn't fit about how much it adhere's to the shape of your canals?  So, if it's loose that means there is more space than there should be.  Can you explain this, as I may have this issue.  Or I maybe just looking for an issue.  
redface.gif
  Canal length on mine is about even.

People's canals are different shape, and mine is not common.  There is an instruction how to pull out the IEM, but I can't do it that way because my canals are bent, so I have to twist rather than push up.  Also, the shape of my canals are susceptible for bad fit with Hidition's tight fit method.  On the side that has this issue is tighter, and sound louder.  The other side doesn't feel lose, but not as tight. If I wear it alot, I get discomfort on the tight side, and I think it has to do with how tight they make the fit and also shape of my canal.

The fit in general is described to be tight, and certainly is.  I'ts because the base of the canal tubing is wider than how other CIEM makers make them.  Other CIEM makers shave that area off to avoid discomfort.  Whereas Hidition takes that risk for tight fit.  So, comparatively, I would describe other CIEM maker's fit as loose.  UERM for example, I can move it a bit because the base is not so wide to make a tight fit, so there isn't as much of a seal.

I would guess that wide base has to do with 3 outlets, but also for a tighter fit which probably just isolates more and perhaps slightly better frequency response.

The uneven loudness can also be due to one ear being more sensitive than the other.  You'd have to see if you notice the same with other iems/CIEMs with better fit.  

Oct 27, 2015 at 9:11 PM Post #4,667 of 4,841
  I don't understand.  How would the canal length have to do with the fit?  Isn't fit about how much it adhere's to the shape of your canals?  So, if it's loose that means there is more space than there should be.  Can you explain this, as I may have this issue.  Or I maybe just looking for an issue.  
redface.gif

People's canals are different shape, and mine is not common.  There is an instruction how to pull out the IEM, but I can't do it that way because my canals are bent, so I have to twist rather than push up.  Also, the shape of my canals are susceptible for bad fit with Hidition's tight fit method.  On the side that has this issue is tighter, and sound louder.  The other side doesn't feel lose, but not as tight. If I wear it alot, I get discomfort on the tight side, and I think it has to do with how tight they make the fit and also shape of my canal.

The fit in general is described to be tight, and certainly is.  I'ts because the base of the canal tubing is wider than how other CIEM makers make them.  Other CIEM makers shave that area off to avoid discomfort.  Whereas Hidition takes that risk for tight fit.  So, comparatively, I would describe other CIEM maker's fit as loose.  UERM for example, I can move it a bit because the base is not so wide to make a tight fit, so there isn't as much of a seal.

I would guess that wide base has to do with 3 outlets, but also for a tighter fit which probably just isolates more and perhaps slightly better frequency response.

The uneven loudness can also be due to one ear being more sensitive than the other.  You'd have to see if you notice the same with other iems/CIEMs with better fit.  

I wondered if you have ever tried the Comply Soft Wraps - There are times when the right side of my V8 feels loose - it is intermittent, doesn't happen all of the time - but enough that I was thinking about playing with clear nail polish (lacquer) to eliminate it...

A while back, Comply gave away 5 pair of Wraps here at Head-Fi - so hey, it's free - I'm in....

While I don't use them on my other CIEMs often - they work like a charm on the V8's - in fact the isolation is greater with than without - even with the ones that aren't loose.

It is an idea - but they can be expensive $19 for 5 pair - at least that is what I thought - UE has them for only $8 bucks for 5 pair - at that price you might give them a try.... make sure the CIEM is completely clean or they can peel away a bit....

Oct 27, 2015 at 9:17 PM Post #4,668 of 4,841
The NT6 is tight on both sides, it's just that one side is slightly tighter to discomfort if worn a long time.  In comparison to UERM and my V3, no need for complies.  I can move either one of those around a bit, and it's just because it's a common way to make CIEMs.  You take out the base area where it curves so that it doesn't put so much pressure to the outer canal to the point of discomfort when worn for a long time.  So other CIEM makers keeps that area loose, and you will notice it if you have something like NT6 to compare with.  It is a tight fit.  NT6 creates a suction or pressure that adheres to the inner ear. It feels like it's more filled.

I need to figure out why one side is perceived to be louder. I've done all kinds of tests, and it seems my ears are imbalanced, but it's plausible that it could be due to the less than ideal fit I have with the NT6.

Edit:  I notice this with my UERM too.  I think it has to do with my canal shape on one side of the ear.  V3 is the loosest one so no problems.  NT6 is the most discomfort since it's the tightest fit.

Oct 28, 2015 at 9:01 AM Post #4,669 of 4,841
redface.gif

It doesn't matter that much IMO as long as the CIEM fills all your canals so there isn't any leak. If it's too loose, it will significant reduced the lower part of the sound spectrum.  The thickness and length do play important roles, because if it's too thick or too long, it certainly will give you discomfort or bassy sounding, respectively. if it's too short, you will drown in the treble (I did that once to my NT6, I cut the canal by myself...lol it sounds like a NT6 PRO treble on drug!). So different company will have different canal lengths suited for their electronic design and driver configurations. But your ears will adjust your CIEMs with the fit. I haven't listened to my CIEM for like 6,7 months. And now I can't even listen to my H8P or NT6, because the canals are too long and too thick, gives me headache instantly :frowning2:.

I did have a SE5 before with one canal longer than the other, and it shifts the tone centre to the left about 10% (you can test yourself using a software that can adjust volume on each side). But if hearing on one ear is better or worse than the other, that's a different story. 

Oct 28, 2015 at 9:04 AM Post #4,670 of 4,841
  The NT6 is tight on both sides, it's just that one side is slightly tighter to discomfort if worn a long time.  In comparison to UERM and my V3, no need for complies.  I can move either one of those around a bit, and it's just because it's a common way to make CIEMs.  You take out the base area where it curves so that it doesn't put so much pressure to the outer canal to the point of discomfort when worn for a long time.  So other CIEM makers keeps that area loose, and you will notice it if you have something like NT6 to compare with.  It is a tight fit.  NT6 creates a suction or pressure that adheres to the inner ear. It feels like it's more filled.

I need to figure out why one side is perceived to be louder. I've done all kinds of tests, and it seems my ears are imbalanced, but it's plausible that it could be due to the less than ideal fit I have with the NT6.

Edit:  I notice this with my UERM too.  I think it has to do with my canal shape on one side of the ear.  V3 is the loosest one so no problems.  NT6 is the most discomfort since it's the tightest fit.

I don't think it's more filled than your UERM or V3, it just gives your ear canals more pressure, which gives you discomfort for long period of listening. So my suggestion is, if you want to do a ear impression, stop listening to CIEM for 2 weeks, then go, as your ears will adjust to the natural conditions.

Nov 1, 2015 at 12:43 AM Post #4,672 of 4,841
It's sad to see this thread doesn't update anymore :frowning2: 

Nov 1, 2015 at 12:51 AM Post #4,674 of 4,841
  I don't think it's more filled than your UERM or V3, it just gives your ear canals more pressure, which gives you discomfort for long period of listening. So my suggestion is, if you want to do a ear impression, stop listening to CIEM for 2 weeks, then go, as your ears will adjust to the natural conditions.

Well, I mean more filled meaning that the canal base is not cut out like the others.  So, that creates the pressure to the canal to create greater seal.  What I don't get is on Joe's rates isolation lower with NT6 which goes against the tight fitting which would create greater isolation.  Which I think keeps a good bass response that I get.  Good sub-bass compare to the others I have.

In other news, looks like Spiral Ears has opened up to deliver overseas.  Looking into Spiral Ears.  Any others you think are worth looking into?

Nov 1, 2015 at 1:00 AM Post #4,675 of 4,841

In other news, looks like Spiral Ears has opened up to deliver overseas.  Looking into Spiral Ears.  Any others you think are worth looking into?

They have done it for quite a while. All you need is a transferring delivery company :)

Nov 1, 2015 at 8:23 AM Post #4,676 of 4,841

I wondered if you have ever tried the Comply Soft Wraps - There are times when the right side of my V8 feels loose - it is intermittent, doesn't happen all of the time - but enough that I was thinking about playing with clear nail polish (lacquer) to eliminate it...

A while back, Comply gave away 5 pair of Wraps here at Head-Fi - so hey, it's free - I'm in....

While I don't use them on my other CIEMs often - they work like a charm on the V8's - in fact the isolation is greater with than without - even with the ones that aren't loose.

It is an idea - but they can be expensive $19 for 5 pair - at least that is what I thought - UE has them for only $8 bucks for 5 pair - at that price you might give them a try.... make sure the CIEM is completely clean or they can peel away a bit....

Just an FYI, I used a product called Fotoplast acrylic and a cheap UV fingernail drying box to tighten up my K10's.  It brushes on, and the finish isn't mirror perfect like Noble makes them, but it's perfectly clear, permanent and gives me just the right fit now.  I believe the cost is around $30 for the Fotoplast and $12 for the UV light.  I just didn't want to get into the multiple refit cycle, and I could apply one thin layer at a time until I got the fit I wanted.

Nov 3, 2015 at 11:43 AM Post #4,680 of 4,841
Cool, thanks :thumbsup::thumbsup:

I went on custom-iem.com and they had a deal for a 6 driver -to- 8 driver conversion for 449$.... Sounds better than buying new v8's. :grin::grin:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back