Multi-Custom In-Ear Monitor Review, Resource, Mfg List & Discussion (Check first post for review links & information)
Jan 17, 2015 at 6:26 PM Post #4,486 of 4,841

I don't really care for phase, it's not like something with crossovers is ever going to have flat phase, so changing something already wrong a little more doesn't bother me much. ^_^ who knows, maybe with some luck it would actually help.

There is two kinds of phase the way I understand it.  Electrical and sound wave phase.  The JH freq phase is taking the account of wave delay.  Don't know how much of a benefit there is to it. It's done by Adjusting the distance from the driver to the bore tip for the drivers. 

The electrical phase on the impedance graph is the difference in timing between the current and voltage caused by the reactive Z.  The product of the current and voltage which is power will not be in sync causing some distortion outputted to the driver.  

Jan 17, 2015 at 6:54 PM Post #4,487 of 4,841

Typically IEM impedance measurements are quoted at 1k, so the manufacturer rated impedance is rarely very useful in the grand scheme of things.  Actually seeing and impedance graph is much more useful, so you can see where it dips its lowest and where it is at is highest. Only then can you get a clearer picture how it may be impacted by a source's output z.

Edit: I've seen an SE5 FR graph but I don't think I've ever seen impedance measurements posted anywhere.

I didn't see impedance measurement either to be honest. I was just trying to say, you don't really need to build 5 ohm impedance iem for good treble extension. Though of course we don't know maybe on impedance measurement it is not around 113/133 levels maybe it drops on highs or something. Then again I am not really into technical stuff that much so I might be completely wrong too.

Jan 18, 2015 at 1:24 AM Post #4,488 of 4,841
After a long absence from head-fi due to time limitations, I wanted to share a few items:
  1. My review of the Custom Art Harmony 8 Pro has been posted for those that missed it.
  2. I am listening to several demo units from Advanced AcousticWerks as well as the W500 AHMorph.  A write-up is in the works and the demos will go on tour when I have finished.
  3. Spiral Ear has announced the SE 5-way Ultimate.  Not much info just yet, but the first pic can be seen on THL.

Jan 18, 2015 at 1:36 AM Post #4,489 of 4,841
After a long absence from head-fi due to time limitations, I wanted to share a few items:
  • My review of the Custom Art Harmony 8 Pro has been posted for those that missed it.
  • I am listening to several demo units from Advanced AcousticWerks as well as the W500 AHMorph.  A write-up is in the works and the demos will go on tour when I have finished.
  • Spiral Ear has announced the SE 5-way Ultimate.  Not much info just yet, but the first pic can be seen on THL.

Welcome back Joe and thanks for the review. Any news about se5 ultimate price?

Jan 18, 2015 at 4:48 AM Post #4,491 of 4,841
I WANT IT!

Of course you want it we all know it you don't even have to say
happy_face1.gif

Now I worry about the price.. All other manufacturers are like just going crazy.. Everybody is pushing their prices and thinking these fool audiophiles would buy the best they don't want to use an old flagship. I hope Grzegorz doesn't follow this trend.

Jan 18, 2015 at 3:17 PM Post #4,493 of 4,841
  1. My review of the Custom Art Harmony 8 Pro has been posted for those that missed it.
  2. I am listening to several demo units from Advanced AcousticWerks as well as the W500 AHMorph.  A write-up is in the works and the demos will go on tour when I have finished.
  3. Spiral Ear has announced the SE 5-way Ultimate.  Not much info just yet, but the first pic can be seen on THL.

How do you join the Advanced AcousticWerks tour?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back