Multi-Custom In-Ear Monitor Review, Resource, Mfg List & Discussion (Check first post for review links & information)
Jan 18, 2015 at 7:02 PM Post #4,501 of 4,841
  Lol on "TellementNomade"we said the same things, and why!?!? 1700euro
eek.gif

In Turkish high fi community people are also surprised and disappointed by the price tag too, not to mention "strange" VAT discount for outside of Eu customer.

Jan 18, 2015 at 8:24 PM Post #4,502 of 4,841

"strange" VAT discount for outside of Eu customer.

Why do you find that strange? EU tax is not applicable to buyers outside of the EU.

Non-EU buyers are likely to be taxed at the applicable rate to their own country, when the CIEMs cross the border into their country.

I wonder if even more people will have ears too small for the SE5U than with the SE5?  LOL 
biggrin.gif

if the picture on the website is correct picture of se5ult then no, it seems to be using the same drivers ...at least the same type of drivers. and very similar if not identical tube lengths.

Fair enough. Obviously, it is still a 5-way, but I was anticipating that the price increase might be indicative of some doubling of some (not all) of the drivers (maybe the tweeters, for example). Having owned the standard SE5, I already know how packed it is with the existing drivers (SE5 woofers are quite large).

I adjusted the contrast on the SE5U pics and they are certainly every bit as crammed as the SE5, and maybe more, but almost impossible to know for sure, with just pics and no actual CIEM to look at in my hands.

Jan 18, 2015 at 8:29 PM Post #4,503 of 4,841
Why do you find that strange? EU tax is not applicable to buyers outside of the EU.

Non-EU buyers are likely to be taxed at the applicable rate to their own country, when the CIEMs cross the border into their country.

I think they're alluding to how the non EU price is not a 23% discount.

Jan 18, 2015 at 9:12 PM Post #4,505 of 4,841

Fair enough. Obviously, it is still a 5-way, but I was anticipating that the price increase might be indicative of some doubling of some (not all) of the drivers (maybe the tweeters, for example). Having owned the standard SE5, I already know how packed it is with the existing drivers (SE5 woofers are quite large).

I adjusted the contrast on the SE5U pics and they are certainly every bit as crammed as the SE5, and maybe more, but almost impossible to know for sure, with just pics and no actual CIEM to look at in my hands.

Is it just me, or does the wiring look reallllly messy?

Jan 18, 2015 at 9:21 PM Post #4,506 of 4,841
  There is two kinds of phase the way I understand it.  Electrical and sound wave phase.  The JH freq phase is taking the account of wave delay.  Don't know how much of a benefit there is to it. It's done by Adjusting the distance from the driver to the bore tip for the drivers. 

The electrical phase on the impedance graph is the difference in timing between the current and voltage caused by the reactive Z.  The product of the current and voltage which is power will not be in sync causing some distortion outputted to the driver.  

It actually takes both into account. How well and important will be up to the listener.

Jan 18, 2015 at 9:30 PM Post #4,508 of 4,841
  Any source for this info?  All I've heard is the distance adjustments.

Just go to their web site and look at the phase curve under freqphase. Time aligned systems with phase shifting crossovers don't look flat.

So does export mean that Spiral Ear may sell into the US. Maybe the additional cost is to cover the problems he previously experienced.

Jan 18, 2015 at 9:42 PM Post #4,510 of 4,841
I added that while you po
  Where does it say electrical phase and acoustic phase?  They talk of wave guides.

Look up. added some while you were posting. You should understand this stuff if you're going to get technical. Jerry also talked about having to change the crossovers points once everything got phased up with the new circuit etc because he was getting added output (lack of cancellation) at transitions.

Jan 18, 2015 at 9:46 PM Post #4,511 of 4,841
Look up. added some while you were posting. You should understand this stuff if you're going to get technical.

Well according to JHA, it's referring to waveguide which is referring to distance of the travel.  Perhaps you were thinking the graph was electrical phase. LOL.

http://www.jhaudio.com/collection/freqphase

Jan 18, 2015 at 11:48 PM Post #4,513 of 4,841

Look up. added some while you were posting. You should understand this stuff if you're going to get technical.

Well according to JHA, it's referring to waveguide which is referring to distance of the travel.  Perhaps you were thinking the graph was electrical phase. LOL.

http://www.jhaudio.com/collection/freqphase

I feel like phase doesn't matter most of the time anyway, but if the end signal is time aligned then there is in effect not much phase shift. why would the electrical phase matter once the signature is set?

Jan 19, 2015 at 1:39 AM Post #4,514 of 4,841
Ok..my break is officially over... No excuse this time! xD

Jan 19, 2015 at 2:11 AM Post #4,515 of 4,841
  How do you join the Advanced AcousticWerks tour?

I am still working out the details, and will make an announcement when the time is right.  Also, your interest is noted!

Their site has updated with the price:
Price:
Default detachable cable
€ 1699 (incl. 23% VAT; export within EU)
€ 1599 (0% VAT; export outside EU)

Ah, so the price has now been posted (and discussion ensued).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back