Multi-Custom In-Ear Monitor Review, Resource, Mfg List & Discussion (Check first post for review links & information)
Apr 20, 2011 at 1:54 AM Post #136 of 4,841
I killed my wallet so I want to invite others to join the fun!

I guess maybe the best way to start it to describe what you like and dislike about the HD-25s and your price range.

And yes, the Studio is great with headphones!

Apr 20, 2011 at 1:51 PM Post #138 of 4,841
thank you for your thoughts. reshelled tf10, hmm maybe you are right, but i hope that real customs even have a larger soundstage. right know i have three monitors left in mind:

kozee x3
spiral ears 3-way ref
compact monitors stage 2

really hard to make a decision.

Quote:
My original reshelled TF10 sounds like it would be close to perfect for you!  From what I know there are no presentations from customs like the IE8, but the EP-10 Plus is the closest.

The X3 has a very present treble and a somewhat forward midrange to go with the spacious presentation.  I haven't heard any of the others, but here is what I do know about them:
SE 3-way ref - if it has a similar sound signature to the 5-way, it will give a slightly laid back presentation with great tonality
Some say that the JH13 does not have enough bass weight for them as it is very neutral and has treble sparkle
The Q has rolled off treble, a mid-forward midrange and some deep bass rolloff

Also, trying a universal, especially a JH universal isn't necessarily going to give you the true sound.

It actually sounds like you may like the UE custom IEM sound signature.

Apr 20, 2011 at 3:26 PM Post #139 of 4,841
I killed my wallet so I want to invite others to join the fun!

I guess maybe the best way to start it to describe what you like and dislike about the HD-25s and your price range.

And yes, the Studio is great with headphones!

hmm, nice advice :)

pros in my ears are, accurate,fast and balanced and rugged..I love the "do-what-you-like-to-me-Iĺl-still-play" part :)
cons, no real, just compared to other phones akg270(?) and pioner hdj-1200 both in my brothers studio from a nice amp and soundcard they sound confined,small an whitout life.soundstage? i guess thats the proper term.

but since iI use them only from my nano thats the sound I "know". I like it alot, but some more sparkle and life in the highs would not hurt,and a deeper bass could be nice.
and to hear from where the sound is comming from (soundstage?) :)

budget..? not set, but cheaper is nicer..my wallet already hates my enough. :p
and after reading even more ( my eyes hurt) I think silicone sounds tempting. :)

drivers, how many? and why? or I think I understand why,to like give each spectrum its own driver right?
how much "better" would 3 be compared to 2?
is that question even sane to ask? :p

Apr 20, 2011 at 5:06 PM Post #140 of 4,841

Quote:
My original reshelled TF10 sounds like it would be close to perfect for you!  From what I know there are no presentations from customs like the IE8, but the EP-10 Plus is the closest.

The X3 has a very present treble and a somewhat forward midrange to go with the spacious presentation.  I haven't heard any of the others, but here is what I do know about them:
SE 3-way ref - if it has a similar sound signature to the 5-way, it will give a slightly laid back presentation with great tonality
Some say that the JH13 does not have enough bass weight for them as it is very neutral and has treble sparkle
The Q has rolled off treble, a mid-forward midrange and some deep bass rolloff

Also, trying a universal, especially a JH universal isn't necessarily going to give you the true sound.

It actually sounds like you may like the UE custom IEM sound signature.

Where did you get that information from @ average_joe? There is no rolled off treble or rolled off deep bass in the Quad. It's quite extended on both ends. So if you haven't heard it, I am just wondering what made you feel comfortable enough to make that statement? Just curious sir. Thanks.

Apr 20, 2011 at 11:00 PM Post #141 of 4,841

[size=medium]Quote:[/size]
[size=medium]

hmm, nice advice 
smily_headphones1.gif

pros in my ears are, accurate,fast and balanced
cons, no real, just compared to other phones akg270(?) and pioner hdj-1200 both in my brothers studio from a nice amp and soundcard they sound confined,small an whitout life.

but since iI use them only from my nano thats the sound I "know". I like alot, but some more sparkle and life in the highs would not hurt,and a deeper bass could be nice.

budget..? not set, but cheaper is nicer..my wallet already hates my enough. :p
[/size]

[size=medium]  [/size]
[size=medium]
I had a chance to hear the HD-25 II and while there were some very good things about them, and while there were some great things about them, the treble sounded off to me (steel cable?).  

There are plenty of neutral customs out there and I will be getting two in the $500 or less category.  The Fabs are pretty neutral, unless of course they are compared with the SE 5-way, and I think there are many other neutral customs.  The more you can describe your preferences, such as preferring a warm, lush sound, or a leaner & clearer sound it will be easier to get recommendations.  All of my customs are more spacious than universals.

And I just sent my impressions to Minerva for the Mi-3, so that could be another option on the lower end.
[/size]

[size=medium] Quote:
Where did you get that information from @ average_joe? There is no rolled off treble or rolled off deep bass in the Quad. It's quite extended on both ends. So if you haven't heard it, I am just wondering what made you feel comfortable enough to make that statement? Just curious sir. Thanks.

[/size]

[size=medium]

[/size]
[size=medium] Thanks for catching that, I was thinking of the T, not the Q and have updated my post.  The Q does appear to have a 6 dB drop at 6K from 1K and the treble does roll off at 16K, although I don't know of any other BA in the price range that has more extended treble.  The EM3 Pro extends to 17K from test tones and the 5-way up to 18.5K, which might be the limit of my hearing.  I would actually love to hear the Q and hear what $500 will get you.[/size]

Apr 20, 2011 at 11:33 PM Post #142 of 4,841
Thanks for clearing that up @ average_joe. I'm not good with charts and don't put a lot stalk in them. I just go by what I hear, and I knew there wasn't any type of rolloff I could detect in the bass and treble of the quads. I wish you could hear them too. I would be curious how you think they stack up to the countless other customs you own (or will soon possess). Once my funds get right in this sour economy, I think I might got for the Merlins (and hopefully I am on the list to hear the universal test models). I haven't been interested anymore in the ES5 (fear it won't be enough bass for me), and for some reason not the JH16 (that's more of a price thing with me though). I am waiting to hear your thoughts about this spiral iem. Wonderful job on this thread again. 
gs1000.gif
beerchug.gif

Apr 21, 2011 at 1:42 AM Post #143 of 4,841
No problem, thanks for the question about the Q and thanks for the compliments.  All I have to say about hearing the Merlin is be ready to spend some money as, for me at least, the better customs will point out the flaws in the lesser ones.

And the way the chart looks for the T matches what I have been told about it before looking at the chart.  While I don't always agree that looking at a frequency response charts, I do think they are more accurate for higher end headphones/IEMs since the decay times are usually closer to each other than the variation as you go with lower cost headphones/IEMs.

And I am not sure how long until the 5-way review since I have a fit issue and will be sending them back, however due to Polish holiday, I won't be sending them back until next week.  But they are real nice!

Apr 21, 2011 at 2:25 AM Post #145 of 4,841
It should be a consideration, however it does look a little on the dark side, but others could tell you more about that.  Maybe once eric compares the Q with the Merlin...

I am also getting another 4 BA, 3-way custom soon, the DRM Earz that is $525.  No clue on the Stage 2 and the SE 3-way, according to Grezgorz (the maker of the SE customs) said it has the same sound signature as the 5-way, but with less bass impact and treble extension.  There is also the Thousand Sound TS842 hybrid that is around $500 and in route to me.

In the $500 price range
1964-Q - lots of impressions elsewhere on head-fi
TS842 - I will find out how they compare soon
4X  - I will find out how they compare soon
Minerva Mi-3 - I sent my impressions in today

More expensive:
SE 3-way - very neutral if they are like the 5-way
The Stage 2 - who knows
The Fabs, which I have reviewed and are pretty neutral and balanced (until you hear the 5-way)

Sorry if I have made it more difficult, but I want you to know all of your options!

Apr 22, 2011 at 7:54 PM Post #146 of 4,841
updateed my last post.

thanks for answers I understand :p

after reading ill way to late lastnight and today I almost decided. :)

Minerva seems like the way to dream for me, now its just a matter of sellign my soul to get the money fast enough...hehe
depending on my patience and my survival instincts (ie : food)
Mi-2 or Mi-3...?

2 day after reading about customs and I "need" them...!!! :/

head-fi really is torturing my wallet to death..LoiL

Apr 23, 2011 at 1:47 PM Post #147 of 4,841
Waiting for your Minerva Mi-3 impressions, joe!

@AudioTroll - from what Lee told me, if you're more into bass, than definitely the Mi-3.

Apr 23, 2011 at 2:06 PM Post #148 of 4,841
well, I do like my bass...
as long as its on level whit HD-25 Iḿ happy.a touch more dont hurt.but I still like to hear mids a trebels..:wink:
mabye Mi-2 would suffice for for my tastes..(mostly budget)?

thinking of selling stuff I really like cause of this..sometimes I wonder over my own sanity :p

Apr 23, 2011 at 3:13 PM Post #149 of 4,841
The Mi-3 are supposedly to have almost the same amount of bass as Westone UM3X with maybe a bit more depth, as a reviewer wrote. If you had a chance to check the Westones, then you should know what's the deal. But I guess it's better to wait for Joe's impressions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back