Most under-rated headphones...
Jul 11, 2012 at 7:28 PM Post #78 of 362
@obob

Could the headphone you were referring to perhaps have been these? Philips HP1000:

Yeah on the left, that one!

Alright, got the new suggestions and adding them to the list. Regarding mini-reviews, I'm not quite sure how to go about that. In theory each suggestion could have a link (like I did for iBuds) though. If you want to write an explanation of why you think XYZ is under-rated, I'll try to do that (if you point me at the post you want linked).

Jul 11, 2012 at 8:19 PM Post #79 of 362
Jul 11, 2012 at 8:23 PM Post #80 of 362
Jul 11, 2012 at 8:53 PM Post #82 of 362
i think the philips SHP-1000 were not popular because the lower model, SHP 895(?) actually sounds better. The SHP1000 is really cheap for a discontinued flagship model though, which makes me want to own one, it is around 50-120usd haha.

About making a reason why x headphone is underrated, allow me to share what I have in mind with my headphone of choice few pages back:

The cd900st is underrated because it can only bought in japan and has double the price when imported through ebay sellers/audiocubes. Although IMO the 300usd price tag is actually worth it since in my experience the cd900st can't be beaten by ~300usd headphones that I have heard by its midrange and transparency. And for some reason I didn't push through my purchase of a t5p when I heard the t5p and the cd900st side by side and that saved me a thousand bucks for it.. They sound similar and most things except for the soundstage probably because of the angled drivers(?) and it is abit brighter. The cd900st even gives more bass body than the t5p when needed on some songs and it has more upfront midrange (if anybody likes that) but it gives sweeter, more intimate vocals on some vocal track. Detail retrieval is about 90-95% the same on what I am hearing.

I am just telling by my experience with the headphone and still take it with a spoonful of mashed potatoes with a grain of salt.

Jul 11, 2012 at 8:58 PM Post #83 of 362
Quote:
Yeah on the left, that one!
Alright, got the new suggestions and adding them to the list. Regarding mini-reviews, I'm not quite sure how to go about that. In theory each suggestion could have a link (like I did for iBuds) though. If you want to write an explanation of why you think XYZ is under-rated, I'll try to do that (if you point me at the post you want linked).

The SBC HP1000 is a mid-Fi gem. With a bit of amplification it opens up and you suddenly wonder why people don't mention this headphone more often. I recently found the SHP9000, Philips knows a thing or two about good sound
wink.gif

The CD900ST, very impressive for what it can do.

Jul 11, 2012 at 10:03 PM Post #84 of 362
Quote:
Regarding mini-reviews, I'm not quite sure how to go about that. In theory each suggestion could have a link (like I did for iBuds) though. If you want to write an explanation of why you think XYZ is under-rated, I'll try to do that (if you point me at the post you want linked).

Roger that.  I'll post impressions if anyone asks, and if/when I do I'll shoot you a PM.  Thanks obobs!

Jul 11, 2012 at 10:12 PM Post #85 of 362
Quote:
i think the philips SHP-1000 were not popular because the lower model, SHP 895(?) actually sounds better. The SHP1000 is really cheap for a discontinued flagship model though, which makes me want to own one, it is around 50-120usd haha.

About making a reason why x headphone is underrated, allow me to share what I have in mind with my headphone of choice few pages back:

The cd900st is underrated because it can only bought in japan and has double the price when imported through ebay sellers/audiocubes. Although IMO the 300usd price tag is actually worth it since in my experience the cd900st can't be beaten by ~300usd headphones that I have heard by its midrange and transparency. And for some reason I didn't push through my purchase of a t5p when I heard the t5p and the cd900st side by side and that saved me a thousand bucks for it.. They sound similar and most things except for the soundstage probably because of the angled drivers(?) and it is abit brighter. The cd900st even gives more bass body than the t5p when needed on some songs and it has more upfront midrange (if anybody likes that) but it gives sweeter, more intimate vocals on some vocal track. Detail retrieval is about 90-95% the same on what I am hearing.

I am just telling by my experience with the headphone and still take it with a spoonful of mashed potatoes with a grain of salt.

Totally agree here. I'd say for what they do well, they do better than much more expensive headphones. I even like their mid range more than my friend's HE-500's.

I also really love the way they present detail. They are very, very detailed, yet it's not by having a spiked treble (Like, say, the V6's). It's just a really natural way to present it, and that makes poorly recorded/mastered music much more pleasant to listen to than other "detailed" headphones.

Jul 11, 2012 at 10:13 PM Post #86 of 362
Quote:
Totally agree here. I'd say for what they do well, they do better than much more expensive headphones. I even like their mid range more than my friend's HE-500's.

I also really love the way they present detail. They are very, very detailed, yet it's not by having a spiked treble (Like, say, the V6's). It's just a really natural way to present it, and that makes poorly recorded/mastered music much more pleasant to listen to than other "detailed" headphones.

All this talk of the CD900ST has got me really intrigued now.

Jul 11, 2012 at 10:32 PM Post #87 of 362
yeh try buying one and if it does not suit your listening preferences, you can sell it again and someone will pm you that they will buy it before you even click the post button :wink:

Jul 11, 2012 at 10:39 PM Post #88 of 362
I'm just curious - I know the CD900s get a lot of praise (and I've certainly looked at them from time to time), has anyone done a review against much higher end cans? I know there's a review of them with the K701, and I vaguely remember HiFiGuy making a comment that they trump the D7000's midrange, but what about against some of the fancier offerings from Grado, Koss, Audio-Technica, Sennheiser, etc?

Jul 11, 2012 at 10:40 PM Post #89 of 362
It's really a shame they don't come up for sale on the FS board more often. I guess that just shows how well-loved they are.
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back