Most under-rated headphones...
Jul 13, 2012 at 12:40 AM Post #106 of 362
anything from koss is pretty much under-rated. they're stuff is pretty boss,especially the 4AA/4AAA. they actually brought them back too for their high demand. i remember liking their old stuff. never heard much of their current stuff out.

Jul 13, 2012 at 1:27 AM Post #108 of 362
Quote:
I think someone should point out that ryumatsuba graphs (which is where the Roland graph comes from) are HEAVILY smoothed/compensated - it's not to say they're not worth viewing, but most headphones look fairly flat in those graphs.
redface.gif

Yep, to give you guys an idea of how smoothed out they are, here are the XB700's.

So... Yeah.

Jul 13, 2012 at 1:37 AM Post #109 of 362
Quote:
I think someone should point out that ryumatsuba graphs (which is where the Roland graph comes from) are HEAVILY smoothed/compensated - it's not to say they're not worth viewing, but most headphones look fairly flat in those graphs.
redface.gif

Good to know. I did notice before that the graph goes in big 20dB steps as well, so yeah. Not that graphs being a flat line is what it's all about or something, it was just a little bit surprising when I first saw it, haha. Still sounds like an interesting underrated headphone from the few subjective impressions I found. 
tongue.gif

Jul 13, 2012 at 2:12 AM Post #110 of 362
so thats why the ex1000 in that website is dead straight flat haha

the rh300 sounds more "natural" than the "already natural" cd900st though when i did a quick comparison few months ago

Jul 13, 2012 at 6:47 PM Post #111 of 362
Quote:
anything from koss is pretty much under-rated.

I think that's because almost everything from Koss is ugly.  Koss seems to pursue sound quality the way ugly people cultivate personality.  Now don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that looks have to be everything (because then you wind up with crap like Beats).  But lemme just put it this way, a personality you want to boink is more interesting than a personality you dont. 
smile.gif

Jul 13, 2012 at 6:54 PM Post #112 of 362
Okay, I'm just speculating here okay. But I think that there is a significant percentage of the headfi community who have no idea just how good the he400 is in the 300+ category....
ph34r.gif

Jul 13, 2012 at 7:04 PM Post #113 of 362
Quote:
Okay, I'm just speculating here okay. But I think that there is a significant percentage of the headfi community who have no idea just how good the he400 is in the 300+ category....
ph34r.gif

Yeah, I haven't heard too much in regards to it actually. It and the HE-300 seem to be overshadowed by the HE-500. Perhaps once Amazon gets them in stock, more will try them? I may.

Quote:
I think that's because almost everything from Koss is ugly.  Koss seems to pursue sound quality the way ugly people cultivate personality.  Now don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that looks have to be everything (because then you wind up with crap like Beats).  But lemme just put it this way, a personality you want to boink is more interesting than a personality you dont. 
smile.gif

If purchased a headphone purely based off looks, it would take q-u-i-t-e awhile before I got to the Beats...
wink.gif

Jul 13, 2012 at 10:24 PM Post #115 of 362
I'm starting to wonder if Lambda-series Stax models are underrated, if for the sole reason that nine times out of ten, if someone even mentions Stax here outside of the big Stax thread, it's about the SR-007 or SR-009, the really expensive flagship models.

Even in Head-Fi's latest buyer's guide, you won't see anything electrostatic until you hit the summit-fi section. Unsurprisingly, there's the SR-009, but there's a big opening in the $600-1,000 price range that could easily accommodate a 'stat setup, amp included.

It may just be electrostatics in general being under-the-radar, but even the Koss ESP/950 is getting more recognition now, from the looks of it. (I've got to try one of those some day. Reviews are mixed coming from Lambda fans, but overall, they hold their own very well.)

I suppose the real question is "Why does no one consider the electrostatic models that aren't the flagships?" There are some great values to be had buying used ones, especially if you already have a speaker power amp of some sort to power the sets that come with transformer boxes.

Jul 13, 2012 at 10:27 PM Post #116 of 362
I suppose the real question is "Why does no one consider the electrostatic models that aren't the flagships?" There are some great values to be had buying used ones, especially if you already have a speaker power amp of some sort to power the sets that come with transformer boxes.

Because people in general are starting to ignore things that aren't billed as flagships and clad in unbotanium, and I'm seeing this as the result of the migration of computer/tech geeks into the world of headphones. Just an observation, do with it what you will.

Jul 13, 2012 at 10:31 PM Post #117 of 362
Quote:
unbotanium

Metals that aren't based in plant life? 
wink.gif

For the record, I love my K240s and they've got circa 1973 vinyl earpads. 
smile.gif
  Though I do admit, that tends to be my least favorite part about them...

Jul 14, 2012 at 12:06 AM Post #118 of 362
In my personal experience, a very underrated headphone is the JVC HA-S160, AKA Flats. I see them on store shelves at several box stores over the last year or so and I have yet to see someone in public with them. They are the best budget headphone I've ever heard. People always go for the sonys and the skullcandies.
rolleyes.gif

Jul 14, 2012 at 3:36 PM Post #119 of 362
Quote:
Because people in general are starting to ignore things that aren't billed as flagships and clad in unbotanium, and I'm seeing this as the result of the migration of computer/tech geeks into the world of headphones. Just an observation, do with it what you will.

Oh, you mean like how headphones that were once flagships suddenly become only "mid-fi" when a new, more expensive flagship appears? (Case in point: Audez'e LCD-2, once the LCD-3 was unveiled.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back