Most under-rated headphones...
Apr 26, 2014 at 10:49 PM Post #286 of 362
My votes:
Donscorpio dolphin
Xiaomi piston(these arent underrated but they are under popular)
Onkyo es hf300
Beyerdynamic dt150
Soundmagic hp100 and 200 (underpopular)
Yamaha pro series
Yamaha hph200
Yamaha hph220
If i had to choose one, it would probably be the dolphins

May 5, 2014 at 3:24 PM Post #287 of 362
Sennheiser MX760.
Amazingly wide soundstage for cheap ear buds, better in this regard than the MX980.
Certainly better than any iem I have used and many full sized headphones.
Shame threy are no longer made

May 5, 2014 at 8:33 PM Post #288 of 362
  Sennheiser MX760.
Amazingly wide soundstage for cheap ear buds, better in this regard than the MX980.
Certainly better than any iem I have used and many full sized headphones.
Shame threy are no longer made

+1

They sound like a miniature PX100 -- great bass, perfect treble.   I love my pair!!!

May 6, 2014 at 5:03 AM Post #289 of 362
In that case I will definately have to get some PX100s at some stage
Thanks

Jun 9, 2014 at 6:13 PM Post #291 of 362
  Put the drivers in a wood cup and you have a great headphone. The cheap plastic enclosure does not do the drivers justice.

Here's mine with some leather covered G-Cush pads.

Those babies look intense!

I haven't really had the time to run them through their paces, but the Sony MDR-NC13 are pretty underrated. They remind me (out of the box) of the XB50 but without the recessed treble and mids, no driver flex, and better comfort. Given they are noise cancelling IEMs, I was not expecting much (also considering how they have little to not coverage here), but they seem to be pretty darn good.

I also vote for the Phillips SHS3200. They are awesome earbuds, which never get enough love. With some foams, they produce a nice warm sound with forward mids and smooth treble (can get harsh without foams), actually have some decent base, and are exceptionally comfortable. Love these little guys!

Jun 9, 2014 at 6:25 PM Post #292 of 362

+1

They sound like a miniature PX100 -- great bass, perfect treble.   I love my pair!!!

Either of you know how the MX470 compare to the MX760? I picked up a pair the other day (on a headphone buying spree...this needs to stop!) and could not be happier with them. The Phillips SHS3200 were my gateway to earbuds....

Jun 9, 2014 at 7:02 PM Post #293 of 362
The nearest thing I've tried to the MX470 is the MX581 which I bought for my mother were excellent. However they didnt sound as good as as the 760. Also used to have the MX880 which were sounded great with amazing bass for an earbud but still not the otherworldly soundstage of the mx760 and have an annoying non linear volume control. Overall. in my experience only the MX 980 beats them, they are perfection. Cannot fault the sound of the 980 at all so detailed but smooth with the most amaze highs I've heard bit without a trace of fatigue.
Don't think you can go wrong with any of MX series. These & other earbuds are all underated in general, If isolation isn't important they offer great value with portability and low profile but with a lot of the scale and soundstage of full size phones. I prefer them to Iems generally but they are unfashionable now sadly.

Jun 9, 2014 at 8:24 PM Post #294 of 362
The nearest thing I've tried to the MX470 is the MX581 which I bought for my mother were excellent. However they didnt sound as good as as the 760. Also used to have the MX880 which were sounded great with amazing bass for an earbud but still not the otherworldly soundstage of the mx760 and have an annoying non linear volume control. Overall. in my experience only the MX 980 beats them, they are perfection. Cannot fault the sound of the 980 at all so detailed but smooth with the most amaze highs I've heard bit without a trace of fatigue.
Don't think you can go wrong with any of MX series. These & other earbuds are all underated in general, If isolation isn't important they offer great value with portability and low profile but with a lot of the scale and soundstage of full size phones. I prefer them to Iems generally but they are unfashionable now sadly.

Thanks for the info!

I think part of the reason earbuds have died out is due in part to the plethora of sub par ones that were always packed in with any and every electronic device. The only good set of earbuds that I've received with anything are the ones that came with the Sanza Clip Zip. They are pretty good, minus the lack of bass. I guess you could say these earbuds belong in the underrated category for every other facet of their sound.

I love IEMs and larger headphones, but good earbuds are definitely a nice break from the norm :)

Jun 9, 2014 at 8:29 PM Post #295 of 362
From what I've heard from others, Beyer DT-150/250 (250 ohm). Hope to try one soon.

Jun 10, 2014 at 5:38 AM Post #297 of 362
Yes Sansa earbuds are very good. They are actually the things that got me back into earbuds. I thought if these sound this good what do better ones sound like. To me the the clip earbuds are the only ones that sound better without foam covers with enough bass for me

Jun 12, 2014 at 5:52 AM Post #298 of 362
For me, the Audio technica ATH-WS99 is severely underrated. These are absolutely incredible pair of bassy headphones with wide soundstage (for a closed can) and very good clarity... However, there are not a lot of reviews around on them :frowning2:((

Jun 12, 2014 at 6:21 AM Post #299 of 362
I would definitely put the Takstar Pro 80 up in the list for $0-$100.
Firstly, I really appreciate presentation and with the awesome box it comes with and the aluminium and hard plastic build of the headphones themselves. It really does feel and look premium. The box itself would set you back $20 if you got it separately.

They sound quite neutral and are good for monitor type cans, a bit of a dip in the 4k region and the soundstage is way better than expected for a closed can. It's not for bassheads but to my ears it is the perfect amount of bass for EDM.

For $50-$80, depending where you get yours, these are definitely in the hidden gems basket for sure. 

Jun 12, 2014 at 12:11 PM Post #300 of 362
AD900x and any other Audio Technica Air headphones.  They don't get the same jubilant reviews and love that Beyerdynamic, Sennheiser, AKG and others get.  Never understood that.  Actually I think sometimes Grado get more praise and for me the SR80 and SR225 definitely top two most overrated I've heard.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back