Most overrated headphones?
Jun 4, 2011 at 11:20 PM Post #316 of 1,490

Quote:
I think I can chime in, over $150 or so, the effects of diminishing returns seem to really come into play at least IMO. most top tier IEM's sound better than the lower priced alternatives, but the improvement in sound becomes smaller and smaller (it might be better to say top tier IEM's instead of a exact price range though)

My thanks comrade.

Jun 4, 2011 at 11:20 PM Post #317 of 1,490

Quote:
I completely agree. For metal and movie watching the D7k is the king. The lcd is better at pretty much everything else IMO.

Oh, the FA-011 beats them both for movies quite handily.  You won't believe the kind of deep impactful bass possible from an open can.  Just ask LFF, that's what he uses.  I was shocked when I heard them.  mids and treble didn't float my boat musically though.

I too think the LCD2 is a sexy can actually.  I prefer it's cosmetics to the HD800 but that's all about function.  Hate the fit on the LCD2 though.  

Jun 4, 2011 at 11:24 PM Post #318 of 1,490

Quote:
Uh, no. At $80, the AD700 is the biggest bargain ever for Classical. Yes they're ugly, but the LCD-2 are 10x uglier and yet nobody is bashing on that. Even if I loved the LCD-2 I couldn't keep it because I refuse to be seen with that thing on my head. Of course the AD700 has issues, but comfort and grainy sound are most definitely not it. That thing feels like a cloud on my head and it certainly does not have grainy sound. If you want grainy, check out the HD598s. It's not like I don't know about their sound flaws, look at the other cans I own, but for $80 they are phenomenal for anything non bassy, and of course they are one of the best competitive gaming cans ever.

The K701/702 is disliked by some people because of the boring, cold, analytical, etc sound it has. However I have yet to see "60% of the population" hate them, I've barely seen them bagged on in fact.

From what I recall, the AD700 was anything but grainless. Grain was one issue among many others. The HD598 has congestion. Not sure if the grain in AD700 is the same problem or simply a lack of resolution.

Jun 4, 2011 at 11:31 PM Post #321 of 1,490
If you want something pretty to wear on your head, buy a hat or some earmuffs, or better yet get a new haircut.  Headphones are tools and listening devices, and they should be designed and built as such.  IMO

Jun 4, 2011 at 11:35 PM Post #322 of 1,490

Quote:
If you want something pretty to wear on your head, buy a hat or some earmuffs, or better yet get a new haircut.  Headphones are tools and listening devices, and they should be designed and built as such.  IMO

Yeah, but the Beats look like hot fire lolz.
wink_face.gif

Jun 4, 2011 at 11:56 PM Post #323 of 1,490

Quote:
My thanks comrade.

nonononono...the proper greeting is pulling the ol' redbook out of your butt pocket, and flipping a few pages and then reading a paragraph of some lyrics of mao

Jun 5, 2011 at 12:06 AM Post #324 of 1,490

Quote:
nonononono...the proper greeting is pulling the ol' redbook out of your butt pocket, and flipping a few pages and then reading a paragraph of some lyrics of mao

you say mao tse tung i say chiang kei shek. lol love the communist china reference.

Jun 5, 2011 at 12:53 AM Post #325 of 1,490

Quote:

My ATH W11R looks like an ugly bean. My girlfriend laughs at me and I lose confidence.

Jun 5, 2011 at 12:58 AM Post #327 of 1,490

Quote:
My girlfriend laughs at me and I lose confidence.

Is that what you call it?  I hear there's a pill for that.  
tongue.gif

Jun 5, 2011 at 3:52 AM Post #328 of 1,490

Quote:
Uh, no. At $80, the AD700 is the biggest bargain ever for Classical. Yes they're ugly, but the LCD-2 are 10x uglier and yet nobody is bashing on that. Even if I loved the LCD-2 I couldn't keep it because I refuse to be seen with that thing on my head. Of course the AD700 has issues, but comfort and grainy sound are most definitely not it. That thing feels like a cloud on my head and it certainly does not have grainy sound. If you want grainy, check out the HD598s. It's not like I don't know about their sound flaws, look at the other cans I own, but for $80 they are phenomenal for anything non bassy, and of course they are one of the best competitive gaming cans ever.

The K701/702 is disliked by some people because of the boring, cold, analytical, etc sound it has. However I have yet to see "60% of the population" hate them, I've barely seen them bagged on in fact.

Like I said, you weren't here until 2-7 months ago, where you would have missed the incredibly foolish recommendations of the AD700 for every person with a $100 budget. And they sound extremely grainy, at least compared to every other headphone that I've ever heard (from home experience and meets, quite a few). This did not improve at all with my amp andDAC. Gaming is their only major strength of them in my eyes, for literally everything else, they are non-competitive at that price level. Thus, for the high level of recommendations, which absolutely dwarfed any hype about M50s IMO, over their very limited strengths, this is an easy choice for most over-rated headphone.

K701/2 hate is another thing that has been going out of vogue lately, I think that people are finally starting to coexist. For a long time the problem was that since it was the cheapest of the then-top-tier headphones, many n00bish folk bought them and proceeded to hate them when played through their onboard headphone out. This created a huge volume of hate, since head-fi has a much smaller base of users who are experienced in critical listening and putting together a proper rig. This animosity caused a lot of hurt feelings in those experienced listeners who bought them, which led to endless flaming. However, that has pretty much cooled off over the past year or so. Since I've never seen a non-bose/beats/skullcandy headphone garner more hatred than the K701 in both volume and vitriol, I just don't see how they could possibly overrated.

Jun 5, 2011 at 4:19 AM Post #329 of 1,490
Classical music does require bass. Clean and non emphasized bass with good extension and present when asked for in the music. Bass light can sound okay but large orchestras, church organs and cellos for instance can bring forth some tones which can certainly sound overwhelmingly low (bassy). Have you ever been to a church organ concert? 

Right, overrated headphones? The PX100 which has an addicting way in presenting the music though...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back