Most overrated headphones?
Jun 5, 2011 at 4:29 AM Post #331 of 1,490

Quote:
Oh, the FA-011 beats them both for movies quite handily.  You won't believe the kind of deep impactful bass possible from an open can.  Just ask LFF, that's what he uses.  I was shocked when I heard them.  mids and treble didn't float my boat musically though.

I too think the LCD2 is a sexy can actually.  I prefer it's cosmetics to the HD800 but that's all about function.  Hate the fit on the LCD2 though.  

I don't believe a $110 open can has superior bass to a closed flagship. Regardless,movies aren't all about bass.

Quote:
If you want something pretty to wear on your head, buy a hat or some earmuffs, or better yet get a new haircut.  Headphones are tools and listening devices, and they should be designed and built as such.  IMO

The D7000, HD800, T1 for instance are all top tier cans that sound awesome and look awesome. Why can't the LCD-2 be the same? It's not like the T1 isn't built and designed for listening.

Jun 5, 2011 at 4:31 AM Post #332 of 1,490

Quote:
Like I said, you weren't here until 2-7 months ago, where you would have missed the incredibly foolish recommendations of the AD700 for every person with a $100 budget. And they sound extremely grainy, at least compared to every other headphone that I've ever heard (from home experience and meets, quite a few). This did not improve at all with my amp andDAC. Gaming is their only major strength of them in my eyes, for literally everything else, they are non-competitive at that price level. Thus, for the high level of recommendations, which absolutely dwarfed any hype about M50s IMO, over their very limited strengths, this is an easy choice for most over-rated headphone.

K701/2 hate is another thing that has been going out of vogue lately, I think that people are finally starting to coexist. For a long time the problem was that since it was the cheapest of the then-top-tier headphones, many n00bish folk bought them and proceeded to hate them when played through their onboard headphone out. This created a huge volume of hate, since head-fi has a much smaller base of users who are experienced in critical listening and putting together a proper rig. This animosity caused a lot of hurt feelings in those experienced listeners who bought them, which led to endless flaming. However, that has pretty much cooled off over the past year or so. Since I've never seen a non-bose/beats/skullcandy headphone garner more hatred than the K701 in both volume and vitriol, I just don't see how they could possibly overrated.

The K701 hate stems from their cold and analytical sound which most people looking for headphones at that price don't want anything to do with.

Jun 5, 2011 at 5:04 AM Post #333 of 1,490
AD700s (for gaming, of course).

Soundstage WAS there, just not.. real. Everything sounded blended in, and it was pretty hard to distinguish the back from the front (hell, the "back" sounded like it was on the top/back part of my head rather than behind just behind me). Also gave me extreme head aches for some unknown reason even without any sound playing through them :). Pads aren't comfy at all, and in fact, they were annoying as hell to me as they weren't true circumaural.

On the other hand, I loved the M50s, and I love my HD25s even more :) (sold my M50s). DT770 Premiums were eh.

And I honestly think (though without much experience) that any can over $300 is pretty overrated.. Maybe because I have damaged hearing, I don't know. But I do know I, myself, can't distinguish much sound differences to make for the price difference. DT770s were overrated enough to me being $200 at the time I bought them, and I loved the M50s more (though I loved the DT770s soundstage). Comfort was amazing to me on the DT770s though. And then again DT770s aren't recommended very much anyways.

Quote:
i personally could care less what a pair of headphones look like as long as they sound good. personally i think my shure srh840 looks very professional and expensive in it's own way.

Sort of the same for me. Honestly thought I looked dumb with M50s, and still do now with HD25s, but they both look professional :) sort of.. HD25s, can't tell as they are quite damn ugly (in my opinion).

Jun 5, 2011 at 5:11 AM Post #334 of 1,490
Wasn't too impressed with K701 overall; soundstage was kinda interesting, but had a very tinny feeble sound to my ears, though they managed to sound surprisingly good on a select score of tracks. It could be that my amps didn't match well with them (ppx-6cg7, ZEN). Not sure what to do with them now.

Had really high expectations for D7000 and was hugely put off by how bad they sounded at first. Then I have paired it up with another amp (zen) instead of my OTL singlepower and after a while they started sounding very good - could have been just a matter of growing pains, giving them enough time for a burn-in, amp matching, or a combination of all these. They are my 3rd favorite phones now. 

CD3000 - the only phones I was really glad to get rid of. Something in the upper mids were painfully piercing and hard to listen to, and even with some serious eq'ing they never sounded as good as much more comfy HD650s (pleather felt nice, but the sheer weight put too much strain on my neck).

You probably should frame your question better though, the title sounds too provoking and headed for an obligatory flamewar 
evil_smiley.gif

Jun 5, 2011 at 5:54 AM Post #335 of 1,490

Quote:
The D7000, HD800, T1 for instance are all top tier cans that sound awesome and look awesome. Why can't the LCD-2 be the same? It's not like the T1 isn't built and designed for listening.

I think the LCD-2 looks better than all of those combined.  I hate the HD800 looks, I think the D7000 looks ridiculous and the T1 is very handsome in the same way as the LCD2 but not as much. 

Once again, earmuffs.

Jun 5, 2011 at 6:03 AM Post #336 of 1,490

Quote:
I think the LCD-2 looks better than all of those combined.  I hate the HD800 looks, I think the D7000 looks ridiculous and the T1 is very handsome in the same way as the LCD2 but not as much. 

Once again, earmuffs.

I love the D7000, HD800, and the T1's looks :). LCD2, not so much.

Jun 5, 2011 at 6:20 AM Post #337 of 1,490
Best looking headphone has to be HE-6 though, that thing just screams metal.

Is there any possibility that we could limit comments to headphones actually heard? Alot of posts are from people who are just put off by phones that have become popular or mainstream. Besides that, the OP asks which headphones YOU think are overrated, not what you've read in a review.

Jun 5, 2011 at 12:53 PM Post #338 of 1,490

Quote:
I don't believe a $110 open can has superior bass to a closed flagship. Regardless,movies aren't all about bass.

Believe what you like.  I said the 011 has more impactful bass as an open can than the LCD2 or D7000 and it does.  I never said 'superior' as that evokes other qualities.  If you are referring to SS the LCD2 and D7k don't shine there either.  With XFi it doesn't matter what cans you use for SS.  Plus SS is a highly subjective aspect more than most other sonic parameters.  Movies are mostly about vocal reproduction, bass impact and imaging.  D7K is weak on two of those fronts IMO.

http://www.thx.com/consumer/home-entertainment/audio/thx-certified-speakers/

"THX recreates the tonal balance of the filmmaker’s final mix in your living room. The result? Action sequences are impactful, and dialogue-driven moments are natural and engaging."

Jun 5, 2011 at 1:16 PM Post #339 of 1,490

Jun 5, 2011 at 2:07 PM Post #341 of 1,490

Quote:
Every single one of them is overrated. HD800, LCD-2, D7000. You guys are missing the point of this thread, this is the overrated thread, not the "I hate your headphone thread." If you don't think top tier headphones are overrated, then you were meant for audiophilia.

Can you elaborate a little further why the 3 headphones you mentioned above are overrated?

Jun 5, 2011 at 2:07 PM Post #342 of 1,490
I think the LCD-2 are way over rated! But i also feel that my HE-500's arent worth the price i paid, but if i keep buying and selling headphones i will lose out more cash. So im happy to hold onto them as my main pair for here on out.

If i didnt have money burning a hole in my pocket i would be content with my MS-1i's. I feel they are easily one of the best buys out there.

Quote:
Every single one of them is overrated. HD800, LCD-2, D7000. You guys are missing the point of this thread, this is the overrated thread, not the "I hate your headphone thread." If you don't think top tier headphones are overrated, then you were meant for audiophilia.

Jun 5, 2011 at 2:21 PM Post #343 of 1,490

Quote:
If i didnt have money burning a hole in my pocket i would be content with my MS-1i's. I feel they are easily one of the best buys out there.

What if I were to say to you, as nice as the MS1i are for the price, I would never enjoy it as much as listening to my HD800 or ES5 and it would be left collecting dust or in FS forum.  In that context I think the $100 MS1i would be more overrated than my $1000 phones for me.  If we shift the criteria to personal gratification and reward (subjective, I know) wouldn't that invert the whole expensive=overrated formula on its head?  

So let's just say for arguments sake that in an absolute sonic sense that all bang per buck phones and IEMs are overrated.

Enjoy.  
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back