Most overrated headphones?
Jan 8, 2023 at 11:45 AM Post #1,486 of 1,490
I tried once. That was enough. Didn’t hear the magic
Until the 600 or either 800 is used with an OTL tube amp - even a cheap model such as the DU00 26, or the BHC or BHCs - which in my experience toast in order: my Ragnarok 1, Bryston BHA-1, and least the Violectric 281. There is zero doubt in my mind tubes were used in developing these cans. If you know live music in great Halls, and VG or better recordings, then you will hear what I hear.

Jan 8, 2023 at 12:01 PM Post #1,487 of 1,490
Oh it certainly is. It receives a lot of unjustified hate.
I don't like harshly played music, but when thats whats on the recording it should come thru. Then its your choice to suffer, EQ, or move on - not the choice of the equipment to put us into an euphonic haze. Its far from the only piece of equipment that does this - but its the most expensive headphone I have heard that does - hence the slings and arrows.

It is a lovely looking piece. I'd like to like it.

Jan 8, 2023 at 6:19 PM Post #1,488 of 1,490
No idea what the most over rated might ac be, but for me, it was the Focal Radiance. Definitely the most disappointing, especially considering the cost.
Nothing really stood out or popped. Just kinda boring imo. Dynamics are fairly good, but there was very little out of the head experience. Even though tuned warmer and ever so slightly darker than most Focal cans, there was still a metallic tint and some peakiness in the upper mids and lower treble. Resolution and separation was decent good, but not great.
While not really a fan of Focal, I thought that the Clear MG sounded better in every category and every way. With my set (MG), the voice coils would pop at louder levels, so I don't think I'll purchase another Focal can any time soon. Thank goodness I discovered Kennerton.
On 2nd thought, I do recall one hyped headphone that was even worse - The Audeze Sine. Even with different pads, it sounded rather terrible to my ears.
As for an under rated gem, the Ibasso SR2 kicks much butt. Fantastic set of cans that more people should give a listen.

Jan 8, 2023 at 10:12 PM Post #1,490 of 1,490
I was primed to like the LCD-2C, so many people I know love it, but after hearing it for a few weeks, I genuinely do not understand how it’s become this well regarded. The tuning is completely unnatural. So many other planars sound better out of the box and plenty do bass just as well.. At this point I can’t even make it a full song before I notice a whole bunch of information isn’t coming through. I don’t want to play with EQ to make them sound ok, and I definitely do NOT want to let my ears adjust to this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back