Most overrated headphones?
Dec 9, 2022 at 7:23 AM Post #1,471 of 1,490
Hate to say it but for me it's the Meze Empyrean - way too relaxed and lacking in energy or detail resolution, to my ears. Tried to love them as the looks and build are stellar but the tuning made them strangely unengaging and kind of boring.
You could also argue that the Empyrean is one of the most most underated headphones - many people share your view in spite of how popular they are with others.

Dec 9, 2022 at 7:39 AM Post #1,472 of 1,490
You could also argue that the Empyrean is one of the most most underated headphones - many people share your view in spite of how popular they are with others.
Nobody is out there saying the Empyrean is under-rated.

If it was 40% cheaper and nobody was talking about it, maybe.

Dec 9, 2022 at 9:02 AM Post #1,473 of 1,490
After experiencing their DYI (or worse) build quality, their drugstore-product packaging, their propensity for premature failure due to the poorly engineered cabling system, their depressingly cheap and uncomfortable earpads, their extravagant claims about various tonewood housings, and, last but not least, their harsh and screechy tonal balance . . .

Grados, at least the more expensive ones, win the "emperor has no clothes" award for me.

Last edited:
Dec 9, 2022 at 2:50 PM Post #1,475 of 1,490
After experiencing their DYI (or worse) build quality, their drugstore-product packaging, their propensity for premature failure due to the poorly engineered cabling system, their depressingly cheap and uncomfortable earpads, their ridiculous claims about various tonewood housings, and, last but not least, their harsh and screechy tonal balance . . .

Grados win the "emperor has no clothes" award for me.
Balderdash !

Dec 9, 2022 at 2:54 PM Post #1,476 of 1,490
Dec 9, 2022 at 5:18 PM Post #1,477 of 1,490
Indeed! Certainly one of the most polarising headphones on the scene.

Dec 9, 2022 at 6:33 PM Post #1,478 of 1,490
Great thread. I'd have to say

#1: Grado. I do like how they sound, but dear god their build quality (and pads!!)....it makes HifiMan look good :smile:

I do somewhat agree with the Empyrean, however, if it was your only set of cans you can certainly do worse. They do very well at certain types of music, and the upgraded silver cable does help. And they look pretty.

Dec 10, 2022 at 10:07 AM Post #1,479 of 1,490
Great thread. I'd have to say

#1: Grado. I do like how they sound, but dear god their build quality (and pads!!)....it makes HifiMan look good :smile:

I do somewhat agree with the Empyrean, however, if it was your only set of cans you can certainly do worse. They do very well at certain types of music, and the upgraded silver cable does help. And they look pretty.
I love the Grado brand and heritage and want to love their headphones. Back in the day, they were one of the "go to" audiophile headphones. Problem is, they haven't changed much since "back in the day," while headphone craft and technology have changed dramatically and for the better. I'm glad they still have a place at the table but wish they relied a bit less on their heritage and 'brand vibe' and more on elevating their product quality.

Jan 7, 2023 at 10:05 PM Post #1,481 of 1,490
Jan 7, 2023 at 10:19 PM Post #1,482 of 1,490
I haven't been back to this thread is a while. Thinking over the past year, the 2 headphones that stand out to me as the most overrated are

1. DCA Stealth. Totally boring sound.
2. LCD-5. It's too bright and aggressive and even most people who like it say it needs EQ.
This would be a misconception. You need a good chain to really make the DCA Stealth or Expanse Shine. They are billed as portable but for this to be portable you need at least a Hugo 2. But add a Hugo 2/Cayin C9 and your good to go.

Jan 7, 2023 at 11:21 PM Post #1,483 of 1,490
Last edited:
Jan 8, 2023 at 8:35 AM Post #1,484 of 1,490
Nobody is out there saying the Empyrean is under-rated.

If it was 40% cheaper and nobody was talking about it, maybe.
Oh it certainly is. It receives a lot of unjustified hate.

Jan 8, 2023 at 8:44 AM Post #1,485 of 1,490
I love the Grado brand and heritage and want to love their headphones. Back in the day, they were one of the "go to" audiophile headphones. Problem is, they haven't changed much since "back in the day," while headphone craft and technology have changed dramatically and for the better. I'm glad they still have a place at the table but wish they relied a bit less on their heritage and 'brand vibe' and more on elevating their product quality.
To me headphones are only for listening and enjoying music, not to admire build quality or looks.
e.g. i had Focal Stellias, build quality and looks were superb. But what joy there is in them if music does not breathe?

To me Grados give something special what i haven’t found of any other brand.
These are very personal things. I am sooo happy that i decided try Grados. My journey of swapping headphones has come to an end.
Finally.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back