Most overrated headphones?
Jun 5, 2011 at 2:28 PM Post #346 of 1,490
HD800 - maybe 5% better than my HD600s
LCD-2 - Maybe 5% better than my HD650s
D7000 - I preferred my t50rp to it. Also, a D2000 plus wood should not cost $1000.

Interesting perspective you have. :wink:

I know it's not fair, but when I switched back to the HD 650s after owning the LCD-2s for the better part of a year it was way more than 5%.

Saying they're overrated is like saying that Ferraris are overrated. They are overrated though... :p

If we're using this thread as a perspective to properly view individual headphones in an unbiased manner, ala a Consumer Reports of Headphonia, I doubt there would be very many lemons.

Jun 5, 2011 at 2:34 PM Post #348 of 1,490

Quote:
EDIT: LOL ^

D7000 - I preferred my t50rp to it. Also, a D2000 plus wood should not cost $1000.

Agree w/ the D7000/T50RP comparison.  That's why I still have it.  With most amps I would agree about the HD800 being 5% but with the right synergy it's another tier/league for me.  The best I've heard the HD650 was with the Burson 160 and it was very good.  But nowhere near the HD800 under optimal conditions.  I don't know that the HD600/650 would scale as well as the HD800.  I didn't hear that potential in the drivers.  YMMV.  

Jun 5, 2011 at 2:37 PM Post #349 of 1,490

The LCDs are far far better than the HD650s. It's like a night and day difference to me. In addition, the D7k is not just a D2k with better wood. 

Quote:

It's obviously a niche market that only someone who is passionate enough to own them will. I agree that they might be overpriced; the HD800 is atrociously expensive and frankly speaking not all that great. However, I don't think they are overrated as they are much better than the budget headphones.

Jun 5, 2011 at 2:38 PM Post #350 of 1,490

I think you have to be a nitpicking, discerning listener to appreciate some of the headphones.  Saying the LCD2s are 5% is totally arbitrary.  Because one person might value resolution more than you.  So it might be 50% better to them, right?  It's a matter of having or not having.  In the case of the LCD2s vs. HD650s, a matter mostly of having or not having resolution, and a couple of other subtleties.

Question is, do you stop being a nitpicking, discerning listener once you stop coming to Head-fi?  Possibly.  Maybe BobSaysHi is right.  
tongue.gif

Jun 5, 2011 at 2:51 PM Post #351 of 1,490
Good to see your trying to justify your buys... :wink: Im sure alot of people would disagree with your last highlighted line, but whatever floats your boat.

Quote:
What if I were to say to you, as nice as the MS1i are for the price, I would never enjoy it as much as listening to my HD800 or ES5 and it would be left collecting dust or in FS forum.  In that context I think the $100 MS1i would be more overrated than my $1000 phones for me.  If we shift the criteria to personal gratification and reward (subjective, I know) wouldn't that invert the whole expensive=overrated formula on its head?  

So let's just say for arguments sake that in an absolute sonic sense that all bang per buck phones and IEMs are overrated.

Enjoy.  
wink.gif

Jun 5, 2011 at 3:02 PM Post #352 of 1,490

Quote:
Originally Posted by brasewel /img/forum/go_quote.gif

In addition, the D7k is not just a D2k with better wood. 

You're right, they use the same wood as the D5000 just with a . The difference lies in the driver, which has a more powerful magnet. Is that worth the increased price? To me, no. Overrated? Yes.

Quote:

I think you have to be a nitpicking, discerning listener to appreciate some of the headphones.  Saying the LCD2s are 5% is totally arbitrary.  Because one person might value resolution more than you.  So it might be 50% better to them, right?  It's a matter of having or not having.  In the case of the LCD2s vs. HD650s, a matter mostly of having or not having resolution, and a couple of other subtleties.

Question is, do you stop being a nitpicking, discerning listener once you stop coming to Head-fi?  Possibly.  Maybe BobSaysHi is right.  
tongue.gif

Ah man, you got that 100% correct there. I came here for the DIY, I stay for the DIY. I don't build stuff for the audible improvements, rather I just like to build stuff. I feel that 90% of audiophilia is a scam, with the exception of a couple vendors.

Also, if I had money to blow, I would buy a LCD-2. It was my favorite out of what I heard.

Jun 5, 2011 at 3:06 PM Post #353 of 1,490
Any headphone that costs more than £100.

I'll get my coat.........

Users who are viewing this thread

Back