Matrix X-Sabre DAC review and impression thread
Apr 29, 2013 at 4:46 PM Post #497 of 1,273
Quote:
Ha Ha......they have locked you out of all future products......It always astonishes me when companies do this

Quote:
Ha, the hazards of being a reviewer! If they thought about it, you're exactly who they should be sending their stuff to...

Well, to be fair, it might just be that the person I was dealing with is no longer with the company or something. He was a senior VP of something or other, and those guys tend to move around. I guess I could try to get their latest contact info if I had the motivation. That matching amp for their DSD DAC looks interesting, with the knob for continuously adjustable output impedance.

Quote:
X-Sabre loaner unit coming in today. Will report with findings soon, taking the unit to Seattle and Vancouver meets this weekend.

Nice! Look forward to hearing your thoughts. 

Apr 29, 2013 at 5:11 PM Post #498 of 1,273
Quote:

Well, to be fair, it might just be that the person I was dealing with is no longer with the company or something. He was a senior VP of something or other, and those guys tend to move around. I guess I could try to get their latest contact info if I had the motivation. That matching amp for their DSD DAC looks interesting, with the knob for continuously adjustable output impedance.

Nice! Look forward to hearing your thoughts. 

My feelings exactly....I wish I had the finances to make a teac stack...

May 4, 2013 at 4:17 PM Post #500 of 1,273
Supply is still extremely limited. I sent mine off to Purk for Canlanta, which is today, since there are no units available. Many of these were sold to people who are in other regions (mostly China) or people who frequent other forums.

May 6, 2013 at 3:33 PM Post #502 of 1,273
In the limited time I got to demo the X-Sabre, I thought that, compared to my W4S DAC-2, the sound was a little slower with the soundstage being smaller. But the sound signature was a little bit more neutral with a more flat EQ. But I do have to say the build quality is exquisite, absolutely beautiful piece of hard ware. although it's definitely a finger-print magnet

May 7, 2013 at 9:11 AM Post #503 of 1,273
Quote:
In the limited time I got to demo the X-Sabre, I thought that, compared to my W4S DAC-2, the sound was a little slower with the soundstage being smaller. But the sound signature was a little bit more neutral with a more flat EQ. But I do have to say the build quality is exquisite, absolutely beautiful piece of hard ware. although it's definitely a finger-print magnet

Hmmm... it's been a long time since I've heard the W4S unit, but I know some people who swear by it. Not bad company to be in I suppose. But can we please decide right now that no more products should be called the "DAC-anything"? Benchmark can still do it, but everyone else needs to think of a new name. 

May 7, 2013 at 10:14 AM Post #504 of 1,273
Quote:
Quote:

Hmmm... it's been a long time since I've heard the W4S unit, but I know some people who swear by it. Not bad company to be in I suppose. But can we please decide right now that no more products should be called the "DAC-anything"? Benchmark can still do it, but everyone else needs to think of a new name. 

The upgrade for the W4S should be out soon and will be (according to the e-mail I got from them) the DAC-2SE. You have to admire the consistency.

May 10, 2013 at 10:10 AM Post #505 of 1,273
Quote:

I'm completely on-board with you.  It's very similar to the auto industry...these arbitrary numbers for models.  Give the piece of gear a freaking identity that people can relate to and immediately associate with.  These number-based models get extremely confusing, especially when reading reviews (professional and user alike). 

May 13, 2013 at 9:21 AM Post #507 of 1,273
Quote:
Has anyone here compared X-Sabre and Gungnir, aside from Purrin & Co. ?

Just Maxvla as far as I know. Though there was supposed to be some meet coming up where more people would get to hear the X-Sabre, so perhaps they will have some comparisons to share soon. 

May 13, 2013 at 10:13 AM Post #508 of 1,273
Maxvla sent his Sabre to the Canlanta meet, but I don't believe there was a Gungnir there for comparison. There was a W4S DAC2 though, and there are some comparisons in the Canlanta impressions thread.

May 13, 2013 at 2:08 PM Post #509 of 1,273
The Gungnir has recently got an upgrade regarding its USB port which seems to impact SQ, and according to Jason Stoddard there will also soon be a DSD-upgrade available. That's why I am so  interested in comparisons
biggrin.gif

May 13, 2013 at 2:21 PM Post #510 of 1,273
Quote:
Maxvla sent his Sabre to the Canlanta meet, but I don't believe there was a Gungnir there for comparison. There was a W4S DAC2 though, and there are some comparisons in the Canlanta impressions thread.

Seems like the X-Sabre left some people impressed :).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back