Matrix X-Sabre DAC review and impression thread
Apr 11, 2013 at 10:02 AM Post #466 of 1,273
Great review. I was interested in this but it seems it is not worth the upgrade over the D18 for me at least. I'll stay put for the mean time :)  Also I had no idea that the D2 has a cheaper enclosure than the D1. 

Apr 11, 2013 at 1:10 PM Post #468 of 1,273
The 6V xlr output can damage the xlr input of an amp?

thanks

Not at all. Just makes it a bit problematic if you are using very high sensitivity headphones. A voltage that high starts your volume on your amp higher than if it were a lower voltage, meaning you have less usable volume adjustment if using high sensitivity headphones.

Apr 11, 2013 at 1:35 PM Post #469 of 1,273
Quote:
Great review. I was interested in this but it seems it is not worth the upgrade over the D18 for me at least. I'll stay put for the mean time :)  Also I had no idea that the D2 has a cheaper enclosure than the D1. 

I've come to the same conclusion: "Keep the D18 and save some money!"
biggrin.gif

Apr 11, 2013 at 2:18 PM Post #470 of 1,273
Quote:
Not at all. Just makes it a bit problematic if you are using very high sensitivity headphones. A voltage that high starts your volume on your amp higher than if it were a lower voltage, meaning you have less usable volume adjustment if using high sensitivity headphones.

Thanks Maxvla!

Apr 12, 2013 at 2:16 AM Post #471 of 1,273
Quote:
@Project86
Thank you very much for you in-depth review, especially because you have pointed out that the output stage is based on lme 49710, a good opamp.

I've a question for you (a little OT).
You have found anedio d2 to be in another league in comparison with x-sabre.
Since d2 have a volume control I'd like to know if its sound is degradated if connected to a preamplifier.
I've found, for example, that Nad m51 reach the best sound without pre.
Is it the same for the anedio d2?
Thanks.

I've used the Anedio D2 in my modest speaker-based system - Parasound Halo A21 amp, Sjofn (the clue) monitors - without any preamp, and it sounds great. I can mess with the sound by adding a tube preamp, or a warm solid state preamp, etc, but things never sound quite so transparent and clean as when using the D2 directly. Best case scenario - the preamp adds no coloration and things sound the same as the D2 alone. So yes, I'd say it's a good way to use that type of device. A lot of DACs have volume control but not all are as well done as the Anedio or the NAD. 

Quote:
The 6V xlr output can damage the xlr input of an amp?

thanks

Not damage it, no. It might just give you less usable range on your volume control. Shouldn't be an issue except for with a combo of high gain amp plus sensitive headphone, where volume control is already somewhat limited. 

Quote:

Thanks. I'd say enjoy what you have - the improvement is there but it's not huge so it probably isn't worth messing with in your case. And yes, the D2 enclosure is good but not great, while I loved the D1 enclosure for its look and feel. I had the figures at one point and it was a serious percentage of the overall cost of the D1. It's a good business decision to use a cheaper enclosure, but not as fun for the end user.

Apr 12, 2013 at 4:04 AM Post #472 of 1,273
Quote:

I've used the Anedio D2 in my modest speaker-based system - Parasound Halo A21 amp, Sjofn (the clue) monitors - without any preamp, and it sounds great. I can mess with the sound by adding a tube preamp, or a warm solid state preamp, etc, but things never sound quite so transparent and clean as when using the D2 directly. Best case scenario - the preamp adds no coloration and things sound the same as the D2 alone. So yes, I'd say it's a good way to use that type of device. A lot of DACs have volume control but not all are as well done as the Anedio or the NAD. 

Thank you.
I've a Bryston bp-25 that is quite a transparent preamplifier but I listen nad m51 with and whitout it and I think that without it it's a better sound, more neat.
Thanks again.

Apr 12, 2013 at 4:33 AM Post #473 of 1,273
Quote:
I've a Bryston bp-25 that is quite a transparent preamplifier but I listen nad m51 with and whitout it and I think that without it it's a better sound, more neat.

It is not necessary to make a comparison on the fly, but listen for a long period with and without the preamplifier...
smile.gif

I also have the Bryston BP25.

Apr 12, 2013 at 4:46 AM Post #474 of 1,273
According to Arthur's quote: "The X-Sabre contains a X-SPDIF so the USB input on the X-Sabre is galvanic isolated."
Who opened the DAC was able to verify if the above information is correct/true?

I ask this because reading here: http://www.anedio.com/index.php/product/d2_features (Galvanic Isolation)
thanks to the review of project86, I was impressed by how Anedio took care of the problem.

Unfortunately Anedio does NOT sell outside the U.S.

Apr 12, 2013 at 5:30 AM Post #475 of 1,273
According to Arthur's quote: [COLOR=000080]"The X-Sabre contains a X-SPDIF so the USB input on the X-Sabre is galvanic isolated."[/COLOR]
Who opened the DAC was able to verify if the above information is correct/true?

I ask this because reading here: http://www.anedio.com/index.php/product/d2_features (Galvanic Isolation)
thanks to the review of project86, I was impressed by how Anedio took care of the problem.

Unfortunately Anedio does NOT sell outside the U.S.

And horrendous lead time.

Apr 12, 2013 at 5:34 AM Post #476 of 1,273
Quote:
It is not necessary to make a comparison on the fly, but listen for a long period with and without the preamplifier...
smile.gif

I also have the Bryston BP25.

Hi, I'm not the owner of the Nad M51 so the only listening I could do was only one hour long, but with Bryston it seems to me (and to other guy present) that bass frequencies were a little bloated and that there was less trasnparency in medium high frequencies.
Dou you feel something different?
I'm very interested in long term impressions cause I'm searching a new dac (that could be an upgrade from my beloved jkdac32) and possibily I'm searching a pure dac without a good volume control such the ones on Nad M51 and on Anedio D2 (I really don't want to sell the Bryston).
Thanks.

Apr 12, 2013 at 6:05 AM Post #478 of 1,273
Quote:
Is this a recent thing? I know at least two users in Hong Kong got theirs last month.

I've read the Anedio website. "Update: In order to serve our customers more effectively and in a timely manner, we are now shipping only within the US. We will continue to support the units sold outside the US for at least ten years from the product introduction date."

Apr 12, 2013 at 6:19 AM Post #479 of 1,273
Quote:
 I'm very interested in long term impressions cause I'm searching a new dac (that could be an upgrade from my beloved jkdac32) and possibily I'm searching a pure dac without a good volume control such the ones on Nad M51 and on Anedio D2 (I really don't want to sell the Bryston). Thanks.

I'm not talking about Nad, I'm talking about the importance of a pre.
When you do not use it, all seems more transparent, detailed, electrostatic. When you reuse the preamplifier you can find again the body of the music.

Obviously it is not an absolute rule (it's general): it depends by the pre and dac. That's why it is very important a long period of listening with and without the pre. Do not forget that our memory about the sound is fallacious: the memory of a sound is very short, it varies from few seconds to tenths of a second.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back