Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Aug 30, 2018 at 12:24 PM Post #40,922 of 48,562
I'm not 100% but I did have Audio GD gear with similar options. I think it's supposed to very subtly change the very top end to reduce the way treble peaks and what not. I don't know enough so I left it alone even back then.

Aug 30, 2018 at 5:23 PM Post #40,924 of 48,562
Received my G6 earlier, it’s clearly receiving The Dolby signal from my PS4 as the led is lit up. I was able to get the sound sent out to my dac/amp and I’m liking what I’m hearing so far.

Has anyone tried the game/chat adjustments using the PS4? I was able to toggle between the two... but wasn’t in a chat to actually test it.

My only complaint so far is I do not have a pc by my consoles so I need to run downstairs to make adjustments.

Aug 31, 2018 at 1:06 AM Post #40,925 of 48,562
It's funny, this little thing popped up right when I was starting to sort of get used to, and like, Atmos for Headphones on the Xbox. Half of me wants to finish out my 30 day free trial before really putting the G6 through its paces...

Aug 31, 2018 at 9:10 AM Post #40,927 of 48,562
Im really liking the g6 so far. One major issue i been having is the g6 sometimes will glichout and cut out all audio. I would have to unplug and replug just to get it to work again. And when I activate the bass feature, it will just completely cut all the bass out and start distorting the sound. So I don’t know what is up with that.

Aug 31, 2018 at 11:21 AM Post #40,928 of 48,562
Got som answers to my follow up questions from Creative today.

Creative support said:
1.) When the G6 is connected directly to the Xbox and not to a PC, is the DD surround signal from the Xbox down mixed to 2.0 stereo in the G6 ?

Yes, it will be downmixed to Dolby Digital Stereo while retaining all audio channels from the surround source.

2.) When pressing the SBX button on the unit it self does that do nothing or does it activate the other SBX features apart from Virtual surround ?

Press once to activate a profile. (Note: Only 1 SBX profile can be remembered by the SBX G6 at a time.)
Press again to turn off the profile.

3.) Is the X7 same as the G6 - when disconnected from the PC it won’t offer virtual surround from the Xbox?

Virtual 7.1 surround requires our custom Creative driver to work. The upmixing is done by the driver which can be downloaded from our support site. The driver only supports Windows PC hence Virtual Surround only works when it is connected to a PC.

Once disconnected, virtual 7.1 will not work. This setting is not saved in the Axx-1 chip as the virtualization process is done by the custom driver. As a workaround, user may want to use the SBX Surround feature as an alternative.

So it seems we are talking about two different VSS ? SBX surround and Virtual 7.1 VSS in Windows ?

Aug 31, 2018 at 11:55 AM Post #40,930 of 48,562
Doesn't mention any need for PC creative drivers

Yeah, was a false alarm caused by badly worded FAQ's, chat support that had zero idea and setups that need settings changed.

Aug 31, 2018 at 12:19 PM Post #40,932 of 48,562
So can anyone explain the latest answer where creative differentiate between SBX surround and VSS 7.1 mixed by the creative drivers ?
It seems not even Creative can do that

Aug 31, 2018 at 1:49 PM Post #40,935 of 48,562
I don't have an answer to that but what I will say is that regardless if what it does and IF there's a difference, console SBX vs PC SBX on the G6 is a WASH. It's not going to sound inferior, and the surround cues are just as good as on the X7.

That to me is the most important part. It sucks that I'm on vacation and can't spend any real time doing A/B comparisons between the X7 and G6, but I would say if I had to make a choice TODAY between the two, I would definitely get the G6 with a Modi (one that has optical input), and a Magni or some equivalent. I would assume that combo would have a better dac/amp than the X7 as a standalone. There cost would be around the same too, maybe cheaper. The G6 would be my SBX source while the Modi is my dac, and Magni is the amp.

I don't have any real complaints about the X7, but as a reviewer, I would like something more headfiers are accustomed to. More power from the Magni would be nice to over the X7.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back