Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Sep 1, 2018 at 9:34 AM Post #40,951 of 48,566
thank you very much for the very detailed answer.
i probably will just bite the bullet with the GSX1000.
i like that it is a little all in one device with no extra drivers and you can control everything on the device itself and it gets a lot of praise for the VSS so i´m sure i will be happy with it.

Sep 1, 2018 at 9:39 AM Post #40,952 of 48,566
Oh yeah I forgot about the fact it's all on the device. It's REALLY easy to use.

Sep 1, 2018 at 9:40 AM Post #40,953 of 48,566
I also like the gsx1000 mainly because of how intuitive it is. I think the soundblasterx ae5 has a really good dac (honestly, better than what the small audiophile companies can make), but the setup is confusing, the virtual surround sound is only 5.1. It's not a huge deal, but these oversights show a lack of care that I find disturbing.

With the gsx1000, I think it is fine for gaming, but it triggers some of my audiophile anxieties. At its pricepoint, it needs an ESS dac, and it needs to support 24 bit with 7.1 input. If they ever make a second generation of these products, that's what I would look for. Also, some pre-baked EQ settings for different sennheiser headphones would be nice.

Last edited:
Sep 1, 2018 at 9:54 AM Post #40,954 of 48,566
The GSX1000 is sureally good in terms of effects (sourround credibility), timbre and usability. But I think the sound clarity/overall quality and amp capabilities could be better.

Last edited:
Sep 1, 2018 at 9:56 AM Post #40,955 of 48,566
I think it's less the clarity and more it's the Sennheiser house sound. I actually think it sounds effortless and grain free. It's smooth and inviting. Almost tube-like.

You can always just use a clearer preset if that is your kind of thing.

Last edited:
Sep 1, 2018 at 11:01 AM Post #40,956 of 48,566
I think it's less the clarity and more it's the Sennheiser house sound. I actually think it sounds effortless and grain free. It's smooth and inviting. Almost tube-like.

You can always just use a clearer preset if that is your kind of thing.

There is something about the GSX that feels "Lo-Fi", it is not like that Senn veil, which is something I've grown to like, or an analogic tube feel to it, but something else. Resolving clarity, it feels like my cheapo old phone in some instances, it becomes overwhelmed when much stuff happens at the same time.

Don't get me wrong, I am in love with the other capabilities of the GSX, but at that price, it could have been using a discrete amp at the least.

Although I only use Sennheiser headphones, could it be that Senn Veil (amp) + Senn Veil (HD650/HD58x/Momentum M2/PC373D/Game One/Game Zero) doesn't pair well? It is nonsense they chose a sound signature that hinders their own headphones performance.

Last edited:
Sep 1, 2018 at 11:26 AM Post #40,957 of 48,566
Probably a silly question and I'm pretty sure I know the answer, but I just want to clarify. If you don't have a DAC, you can still hook an amp up to the line out/optical of the G6, right? But then I wonder if that's even necessary?

For my potential use case, I'd plan to use my TH-X00s. Is the G6 amp capable enough for them or would I benefit adding my Magni 2U into the chain?

Sep 1, 2018 at 12:21 PM Post #40,958 of 48,566
Probably a silly question and I'm pretty sure I know the answer, but I just want to clarify. If you don't have a DAC, you can still hook an amp up to the line out/optical of the G6, right? But then I wonder if that's even necessary?

For my potential use case, I'd plan to use my TH-X00s. Is the G6 amp capable enough for them or would I benefit adding my Magni 2U into the chain?

G6 amp can get it loud but I just tried it vs an external amp and on the G6 alone, the TH-X00's were missing some body. This was immediately apparent; the pleasing deep bass presence of these cans was missing some oomph on Hotel California.

However I have found few audio deficiencies on these various Creative products that I cannot alleviate (or at least fake) with some basic EQ'ing. I tried the above "flat" with all SBX off and in stereo. Maybe cheating for audiophiles but I don't care, really.

In other news, in my continuing obsession with Creative's crappy software, when switching between headphone out and line out, the G6 decides to revert all your profiles to old settings, for some reason. I cannot get the profiles to just stick (e.g. each have their own EQ setting, etc.) Annoying. I tried all my headphones last night, over the course of an hour, on what I thought was a flat EQ preset and now I am not sure if it was flat.

Last edited:
Sep 1, 2018 at 1:36 PM Post #40,960 of 48,566
So can anyone explain the latest answer where creative differentiate between SBX surround and VSS 7.1 mixed by the creative drivers ?

i don't own the creative g6 but i own the soundblaster ae5 which sounds like the same thing the rep is talking about with the vss. I am guessing this card is actually 5.1 however like the soundblaster ae5 in order to have it play 7.1 you need to play a game that allows you to change the speaker channel to 7.1 in game options where it will upmix the 5.1 to 7.1.

Though this is completely stupid by creative as most games just autodetect your default playback device and checks how many channels it has & only a few games nowdays actually allow you to change the amount of speaker channels.

Sep 1, 2018 at 1:40 PM Post #40,961 of 48,566
When I select 7.1 on the G6 software though, Windows automatically changes my speaker config to 7.1. It actually is pretty consistent in switching the windows config, unlike prior products (X7, E5) where sometimes I had to make sure windows was following along. I don't think you are limited to games that allow that speaker config as it works on other audio tests I have tried that are using windows' default. (By that I mean, if the game supports 7.1 via looking at the windows default, it will work.)

Last edited:
Sep 1, 2018 at 1:48 PM Post #40,962 of 48,566
When I select 7.1 on the G6 software though, Windows automatically changes my speaker config to 7.1. It actually is pretty consistent in switching the windows config, unlike prior products (X7, E5) where sometimes I had to make sure windows was following along. I don't think you are limited to games that allow that speaker config as it works on other audio tests I have tried that are using windows' default. (By that I mean, if the game supports 7.1 via looking at the windows default, it will work.)

If the g6 offer 7.1 back at windows that would mean games that auto detect default playback will always play in 7.1. But i was refering to my ae5 which is 5.1 selecting 7.1 on the software will still make windows see it as 5.1, the 7.1 does not exist back in windows sound control panel. The only way to make the ae5 play in 7.1 is to play a game that offers changing channels.

Last edited:
Sep 1, 2018 at 1:51 PM Post #40,963 of 48,566
If the g6 offer 7.1 back at windows that would mean games that auto detect default playback will always play in 7.1. But i was refering to my ae5 which is is 5.1 selecting 7.1 on the software will still make windows see it as 5.1, the 7.1 does not exist back in windows sound control panel. The only way to make the ae5 play in 7.1 is to play a game that offers changing channels.

Ah I see. Well, it sounds like the G6 is offering "real" 7.1 then vs the AE5. I still say the tech person is just not explaining things correctly. This is probably someone who has never used it and is unfamiliar with it just looking at a spec sheet or reading a script.

If I were King of Creative Tech Support I would simply explain this as follows: The G6 offers 5.1 and 7.1 virtual surround channels. A PC is required to initially enable virtual surround settings and to make changes to G6 audio settings.

Done!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back