Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Mar 19, 2016 at 11:55 AM Post #34,681 of 48,562
Soundblaster Recon 3D for PS3/PC.  I purchased it 2 years ago from Amazon

Has anyone noticed that the Cinematic Dynamic Range Controls are reversed?

Dynamic Range Control:

Full (maximum)
Normal (Standard)
Night (minimum)

These are the 3 choices.  And you would think that "Night" mode would cut down the bass and be the least dynamic with ranges.  But its exactly the opposite.
Full mode sounds flat, cuts the bass and sounds like a Night mode should.  Night mode is very open..high highs, deep bass.

Whats going on here?

Mar 19, 2016 at 12:16 PM Post #34,682 of 48,562
i just bought the E12 Mont Blanc for $75 dollars on ebay with free shipping,i think it`s a good price.
L3000.gif

Mar 19, 2016 at 12:17 PM Post #34,683 of 48,562

Anyone bought the new Chord Mojo DAC / Amp? And can compare to the Creative X7? If gaming surround sound aside, would this Chord Mojo sound better than the X7?

Most probably yes, although You have to keep in mind that Mojo is many times as much expensive and offers few of the X7's functionalities.

Yea I know the Mojo is more expensive but it's only $200 more than the X7.  Can the X7 pass the SBX surround to the Mojo ? If the X7 can't, are there any other Creative soundcards or DAC / Amp that can pass SBX surround to another DAC / Amp? thx

Mar 19, 2016 at 12:25 PM Post #34,684 of 48,562

Yea I know the Mojo is more expensive but it's only $200 more than the X7.  Can the X7 pass the SBX surround to the Mojo ? If the X7 can't, are there any other Creative soundcards or DAC / Amp that can pass SBX surround to another DAC / Amp? thx

X7 can't do that as of now, however we are waiting for another firmware update that is supposedly going to bring some new features. Sound Blaster G5 and all other Creative cards can do that though.

Mar 19, 2016 at 12:37 PM Post #34,686 of 48,562

X7 can't do that as of now, however we are waiting for another firmware update that is supposedly going to bring some new features. Sound Blaster G5 and all other Creative cards can do that though.

What connector does the G5 pass SBX surround out to? Optical out?

Mar 19, 2016 at 12:51 PM Post #34,687 of 48,562
After having experienced VR in 1440p, and it looking pixellated and muddy as hell.... I have zero, ZERO desire to get into VR until they start using 4K screens. 1080p is gonna look god awful.

I'm not even referring to the sheer technicalities of a system, but the simple fact that the resolution is way too low to be so close to your face. It ruins immersion for me when I can see pixels so easily.

If you think it's bad now, try on a '90s VR headset with abysmally low resolution and FOV! We've made a lot of progress since then, but still need to go farther.

The problem is that out of that 2560x1440 screen on a Gear VR (the only headset at that res you could have tried right now), you only get to see a fraction of the pixels due to the optics. The edges around each eye buffer are considerably wasted!

That drives the push for stupidly pixel-dense screens any more, and what's worse is that people are already backlashing over higher than 1920x1080 screens on smartphones because it's effectively wasted outside of VR.

Meanwhile, I just got my PC360 today, and despite the listed cable issue (part of why I got it for under $50 shipped), first impressions are very good indeed. Ridiculously comfy velour pads, light weight, sensitive boom mic, respectable sound quality. I think the MMX300 could reach a bit lower due to its closed design, but the PC360 remains punchy, a good balance of competitiveness and fun.

There is an issue where I can't leave the volume dial up or I start hearing background popping clearly out of my notebook (will test with gaming desktop later), but that could easily be a cable issue. Turning the volume dial down and jacking up system volume helps a lot. Meanwhile, my Note 4 doesn't have that issue with it. Strange...

Mar 19, 2016 at 1:14 PM Post #34,689 of 48,562
I have tryed Rift DK1, DK2 and Gear VR, as my husband has had all 3. I become very sick very quickly as it stands now. The only game where I haven't felt like throwing my guts up is Elite Dangerous as far as I recall.

I am hoping the sickness will subside somewhat with the consumer version but we shall see. The husband has a vive, a rift and psvr on pre order so will have the opertunity to see the improvments.

As for gear VR and MLE's experience - good job you didn't see DK1 then! The screen door and chromatic abrasion was horrible compared to gear VR. However, even with the poorer resolution of the dk2 imo it was miles better than gear VR due to the way you could move, leaning in and around objects and the like.

In fact it is probably a shame more people didn't have the opportunity to try the earlier versions. The evolution has been very noticeable and I have a feeling these people will appreciate the leaps forward the CV versions have made.

Mar 19, 2016 at 3:09 PM Post #34,691 of 48,562
I am loving the K712/MixAmp/Magni Uber combo.  A friend chastised me for getting the amp saying it wasn unnceccasry to double amp unless I'm using chat but for some reason I'm inclined to believe what MLE writes :)   This guide has been more helpfull to me than you'll ever know.

Mar 19, 2016 at 3:21 PM Post #34,692 of 48,562
Update on the PC360: the background popping noise problem does not happen on my desktop. How peculiar.

I can leave the volume knob at full, and there's no background noise whatsoever. Having the X-Fi Titanium HD in there probably helps.

I mean, my notebook's headphone-out was never that great to begin with, but I've never had that noise issue with any other set I've tried in it, just the PC360.

The mic is also remarkably sensitive, and that's on a card that, for whatever reason, does not have a mic boost checkbox like most X-Fi models. Considering that half the reason people even want to buy a headset is the mic quality, that's good news.

All in all, I can see why MLE liked these things so much for a gaming headset.

Mar 19, 2016 at 3:38 PM Post #34,693 of 48,562
Sony is supposedly working on a console that will do 4k (according to a Kotaku article). If so, I don't get why such the inferior VR headset.

As for Division, don't get me started. I thought I was crazy seeing all the praise, then IGN's and Angry Joe's reviews came out... actually making sense to me.

Even though I played the crap out of Destiny, I have to say Division is better (at least in their respectable vanilla forms, never played Taken King). Both are still crap games for what they try to be, though...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back