Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Feb 25, 2020 at 6:28 AM Post #44,041 of 48,566
Didn't like DTS Headphone X at all. At least not the W10 version. Rear cues non-existent to me. Instead of you being positioned in a circle, the circle is cut in half and you're positioned on the flat side. Nowhere for rear cues to go but to your sides.
Just like me. Companies who think they can generate believable positional cues with a generic HRTF and lots of echo/reverb AND do not provide any customization, are imho, most likely to fail.

For me Sennheiser GSX (my current in-use solution) and Creative's CMSS-3D and SBX Studio Pro are still the best for me (after tuning), for front-rear positional accuracy.

I wish Creative would allow for parameter tuning in SXFI, but until that happens, it's a no-go for me.

Last edited:
Feb 25, 2020 at 11:35 AM Post #44,042 of 48,566
The main issue I am having at the moment with dts headphone x is that in 7.1, while the center and rear speakers sound good, the front and side speaker don't. I think it may be bugged. I can get my media player to just not use those virtual speakers. And games that support spatial sound seem to be fine. But I am not sure what happens to a game that uses traditional surround sound.

Feb 27, 2020 at 9:50 AM Post #44,043 of 48,566
Guys,

beyerdinamic mmx 300 gen 2 with a decent dac/amp are better than shp9500s with sennheiser gsx 1000?
Need better positional audio, soudstage and sharp footsteps...and some audio quality too.
Should i switch?

thanks for your knowledge guys

Last edited:
Feb 27, 2020 at 10:26 AM Post #44,044 of 48,566
Guys,

beyerdinamic mmx 300 gen 2 with a decent dac/amp are better than shp9500s with sennheiser gsx 1000?
Need better positional audio, soudstage and sharp footsteps...and some audio quality too.
Should i switch?

thanks for your knowledge guys
If you set up the 7.1 properly on the gsx, it will end up with an insurmountable advantage in a lot of games, because in 7.1, there are distinct front and rear channels, but in stereo, there are not. So determining front vs back should be better with the gsx and shp9500 in many cases.

Feb 27, 2020 at 11:12 AM Post #44,045 of 48,566
If you set up the 7.1 properly on the gsx, it will end up with an insurmountable advantage in a lot of games, because in 7.1, there are distinct front and rear channels, but in stereo, there are not. So determining front vs back should be better with the gsx and shp9500 in many cases.
In the knob of gsx 1000 I only have ON the headphones logo, FPS mode and 7.1. Everything else is turned off.

Feb 27, 2020 at 11:19 AM Post #44,046 of 48,566
In the knob of gsx 1000 I only have ON the headphones logo, FPS mode and 7.1. Everything else is turned off.
Add a + sign under the headphone icon.

Feb 27, 2020 at 4:11 PM Post #44,048 of 48,566
Trying to find time to mess with Hesuvi. It's a bit of a pain. Just using G6 SBX 'FPS' profile in the meantime.

I run through the steps in Hesuvi, but I want to 'Test 7.1'. All I get is 'this file type not associated with program... default programs'. If anyone knows a fix, pls let know.

On Mac and rarely mess with Windows except to get gaming running...

Not sure if I'm suppose to associate mp4, ogg with Hesuvi or a media player. Tried simple searching and nothing, but will further investigate.

Finally figured out a solution. I separate admin and user accounts, so the admin account is minimalistic and didn't have Groove music app installed. I guess Hesuvi needs a third-party to process the audio playback. Once I tried the 'Test 7.1' on the user account, things were straightforward.

Starting off with 'DHT' as it's the safest VSS option.

I wasn't sure if I needed to add Hesuvi to startup apps, but I'm assuming it's embedded in the Windows Audio Service. I tried looking in task manager with no success for Hesuvi or EQ APO.

Last edited:
Feb 28, 2020 at 4:35 AM Post #44,050 of 48,566
yea, to add to what has been said, I would also make sure that windows is set to 7.1 in control panel, sound, configure speakers.
yes, windows is in 7.1 mode.

Also, guys.

What do you recomend for only gaming (80% competitive and 20% fun)?
I was looking to:
- DT 900 Pro (250 ohm?)
- DT 880 Pro (250 ohm?)
- AKG K701 (or K702 diference?)
- AKG K712 pro

Thanks

Last edited:
Feb 28, 2020 at 7:33 AM Post #44,051 of 48,566
Is the dt770 80ohm good for immersive gaming and movies? I'm using the open back fidelio x2hr but recently looking at closed back again. The x2hr seems a lot quieter and not as visceral/bass impactful as my other closed back headphone (Sony Platinum Headset). The soundstage is also not that much bigger if at all. It may sound a bit more airy and natural though, but the fact that isolation is poor on the x2hr seems to cause some loss in details (my room is not exactly dead quiet). I heard that the dt770 80ohm has great bass and very good soundstage for a closed back?

Feb 28, 2020 at 2:47 PM Post #44,052 of 48,566
My curiosity finally got the better of me yesterday. I've been using the HD58X for over a year now and have been extremely pleased with them. I game on PS4 and have them hooked up to a Mixamp 5.8 with a JDS Labs Atom. I've been dying to try the K702's from the glowing impressions on this forum. Finally got my chance yesterday but got to say I was not impressed, that is at first. But once I put the HD58X back on, they seemed a bit muddy in comparison. I can't wait to test them more over the weekend as my time with them yesterday was very limited. I did notice that I may have gotten the wrong version. It's been a while since I read through here but I guess the K702 that was actually recommended was the 65th anniversary editions. I got the standard K702, is there a major difference between the two?

Thanks,

Feb 28, 2020 at 4:44 PM Post #44,053 of 48,566
My curiosity finally got the better of me yesterday. I've been using the HD58X for over a year now and have been extremely pleased with them. I game on PS4 and have them hooked up to a Mixamp 5.8 with a JDS Labs Atom. I've been dying to try the K702's from the glowing impressions on this forum. Finally got my chance yesterday but got to say I was not impressed, that is at first. But once I put the HD58X back on, they seemed a bit muddy in comparison. I can't wait to test them more over the weekend as my time with them yesterday was very limited. I did notice that I may have gotten the wrong version. It's been a while since I read through here but I guess the K702 that was actually recommended was the 65th anniversary editions. I got the standard K702, is there a major difference between the two?

Thanks,
The regular K702 does get frequently recommended on this thread to those looking to soundwhore on competitive MP without any regard to immersive / fun tonality. It’s perfect for those who just want a massive, airy soundstage with superlative imaging and separation for locating footsteps etc. and don’t care about anything else.

The K702 anniversary edition of which there are two iterations (different pads) are warmer, smoother and more engaging than the K702. The treble isn’t as harsh and there’s considerably more presence in the low end with very little compromise to imaging and soundstage. They are however, out of production, and as a result you’ll likely pay over the odds for it second hand, more so if you find somewhere offering them new.

. . . But, AKG have since collaborated with Drop (formerly Massdrop) to offer the K7XX which is the closest of AKG’s current models to the second iteration of the Anniversaries. They are generally regarded as being very similar if not practically the same headphones in tonality.

Also, read this. It’s the best (subjective) comparison of the major AKG K7~ models out there:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/my-...s-and-the-rest-to-stop-this-confusion.752994/

As for 58X vs K7XX, here are the top google search results for K7XX / 58X review videos that compare the two. Both preferred the K7XX (as do I). That being said, I don’t think there‘s a big enough difference between the two for the average user to retain both unless they have a need for two pairs of somewhat similar sounding headphones. If on the other hand, you plan on selling the 58Xs should the K7XX be to your liking, then yeah, as a replacement upgrade, I’d say they’re worth it.

Last edited:
Feb 28, 2020 at 5:20 PM Post #44,054 of 48,566
The regular K702 does get frequently recommended on this thread to those looking to soundwhore on competitive MP without any regard to immersive / fun tonality. It’s perfect for those who just want a massive, airy soundstage with superlative imaging and separation for locating footsteps etc. and don’t care about anything else.

The K702 anniversary edition of which there are two iterations (different pads) are warmer, smoother and more engaging than the K702. The treble isn’t as harsh and there’s considerably more presence in the low end with very little compromise to imaging and soundstage. They are however, out of production, and as a result you’ll likely pay over the odds for it second hand, more so if you find somewhere offering them new.

. . . But, AKG have since collaborated with Drop (formerly Massdrop) to offer the K7XX which is the closest of AKG’s current models to the second iteration of the Anniversaries. They are generally regarded as being very similar if not practically the same headphones in tonality.

Also, read this. It’s the best (subjective) comparison of the major AKG K7~ models out there:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/my-...s-and-the-rest-to-stop-this-confusion.752994/

As for 58X vs K7XX, here are the top google search results for K7XX / 58X review videos that compare the two. Both preferred the K7XX (as do I). That being said, I don’t think there‘s a big enough difference between the two for the average user to retain both unless they have a need for two pairs of somewhat similar sounding headphones. If on the other hand, you plan on selling the 58Xs should the K7XX be to your liking, then yeah, as a replacement upgrade, I’d say they’re worth it.

Thanks for the detailed response. I really love the sound of the K702 and I can definitely pick apart sounds in Rainbow Six much easier, especially when there is a lot going on. With the 58X, when the audio gets busy, I start to miss important audio cues. I think the main thing that has me questioning these is the comfort. They are light and the clamping force is perfect but they are causing some slight discomfort, mainly on the tips of my ears, where they are slightly touching the drivers. The 58X were like vice grips at first but have broken in nicely.

Feb 29, 2020 at 1:37 AM Post #44,055 of 48,566
Thanks for the detailed response. I really love the sound of the K702 and I can definitely pick apart sounds in Rainbow Six much easier, especially when there is a lot going on. With the 58X, when the audio gets busy, I start to miss important audio cues. I think the main thing that has me questioning these is the comfort. They are light and the clamping force is perfect but they are causing some slight discomfort, mainly on the tips of my ears, where they are slightly touching the drivers. The 58X were like vice grips at first but have broken in nicely.
I had the same problem with my K7XX, the foam in the stock pads was inconsistent in density and uneven in effective thickness leading to the same result, painful ears from pinna tip touching the driver cover. That’s not a problem that can be alleviated / broken in. If it’s an issue now, it will only get worse over time with wear.

Dekoni‘s replacement pads specially designed for the AKG K7 series resolved the problem for me and stopped me from selling the K7XXs on. They are thicker and the memory foam is better. Go for the Velours if you want pretty much the same as the stock sound. Go for the Hybrids if you want a little bit more bass and slightly smoother treble and are willing to spend a bit more.
Whatever you do, don’t get Brainwavz, at least not for the K7 series.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back