Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Feb 29, 2020 at 8:48 AM Post #44,057 of 48,562
I'm getting pretty interested in the Creative SXFI CARRIER: https://us.creative.com/p/speakers/creative-sxfi-carrier
An Atmos soundbar, one of the first HDMI 2.1 devices with SXFI technology for the soundbar as well as headphone output.
Can't find it on the EU site yet though.
According to the below link from a hands-on, SXFI tech is only applied to the headphone out, not the soundbar’s own drivers. Still, driver output sounds promising given the claims of collaborative design with Dolby.

https://www.techradar.com/uk/reviews/creative-sxfi-carrier-soundbar

Feb 29, 2020 at 9:52 AM Post #44,058 of 48,562
I had the same problem with my K7XX, the foam in the stock pads was inconsistent in density and uneven in effective thickness leading to the same result, painful ears from pinna tip touching the driver cover. That’s not a problem that can be alleviated / broken in. If it’s an issue now, it will only get worse over time with wear.

Dekoni‘s replacement pads specially designed for the AKG K7 series resolved the problem for me and stopped me from selling the K7XXs on. They are thicker and the memory foam is better. Go for the Velours if you want pretty much the same as the stock sound. Go for the Hybrids if you want a little bit more bass and slightly smoother treble and are willing to spend a bit more.
Whatever you do, don’t get Brainwavz, at least not for the K7 series.

I got the chance to spend several hours with these and while I still love the sound, I'm not sure I'll ever like the way they sit on my head, even with a pad swap. Is there anything out there that has a similar sound as the K702 but fit your head like the Sennheiser HD series?

Feb 29, 2020 at 10:42 AM Post #44,059 of 48,562
I got the chance to spend several hours with these and while I still love the sound, I'm not sure I'll ever like the way they sit on my head, even with a pad swap. Is there anything out there that has a similar sound as the K702 but fit your head like the Sennheiser HD series?
Not sure as aside from your ears touching the driver, which can be remedied, you haven’t specified what you don’t like about the way it sits on your head. . .? If it’s the clamping force being too loose, the pad swap will also alleviate that too as the increased thickness and firmness increases the clamping force.

If on the other hand, it’s the suspension headband you don’t like then the Philips SHP9500 can be had cheaply or you could wait for the imminent 9600 successor model . . .but I think they would most likely be more of a side grade from the 58X rather than an upgrade.

Problem is the traditional recommended similar sounding alternatives to the AKG K6 and 7 series are the Audio Technica AD700 and AD900 series that have the rather divisive 3D wing suspension system. If you are willing to give them a try then I would recommend the AD900X or the ADG1X which is the gaming iteration and has an integrated mic along with some gaming oriented tuning (otherwise they are exactly the same, driver size and design, frequency response etc.).There is also the AD700X is even harsher on the treble and drier / more thin and lacking in bass than the K702 IMO.

Beyond that you could maybe look at the much more expensive Sennheiser HD660S, the discontinued HD700 or try the Beyer Dynamic range (DT880, 990, 1770X etc.) but these are all less similar to the K702 than the Philips SHP9500, let alone the Audio Technicas.

Last edited:
Feb 29, 2020 at 10:50 AM Post #44,060 of 48,562
Not sure as aside from your ears touching the driver, which can be remedied, you haven’t specified what you don’t like about the way it sits on your head. . .? If it’s the clamping force being too loose, the pad swap will also alleviate that too as the increased thickness and firmness increases the clamping force.

If on the other hand, it’s the suspension headband you don’t like then the Philips SHP9500 can be had cheaply or you could wait for the imminent 9600 successor model . . .but I think they would most likely be more of a side grade from the 58X rather than an upgrade.

Problem is the traditional recommended similar sounding alternatives to the AKG K6 and 7 series are the Audio Technica AD700 and AD900 series that have the rather divisive 3D wing suspension system. If you are willing to give them a try then I would recommend the AD900X or the ADG1X which is the gaming iteration and has an integrated mic along with some gaming oriented tuning (otherwise they are exactly the same, driver size and design, frequency response etc.).There is also the AD700X is even harsher on the treble and drier / more thin and lacking in bass than the K702 IMO.

Beyond that you could maybe look at the much more expensive Sennheiser HD600S, the discontinued HD700 or try the Beyer Dynamic range (DT880, 990, 1770X etc.) but these are all less similar to the K702 than the Philips SHP9500, let alone the Audio Technicas.

Sorry I kind of have a hard time putting into words how they feel. The best way I can describe it is the Senn's feel like they are made for my head and the AKG's are kind of like putting a hard box on my head. I tried the AD700's back in the day and I had the same experience, loved the sound hated how the fit my head. If I remember correctly, my experience comfort wise is very similar between the AD700 and K702. Thanks again for taking the time to help, I'm not really all that dissatisfied with the 58X's and will probably keep them even if I get another set. I was just looking for something a little more competitive oriented to go along with them.

Feb 29, 2020 at 11:44 AM Post #44,061 of 48,562
Sorry I kind of have a hard time putting into words how they feel. The best way I can describe it is the Senn's feel like they are made for my head and the AKG's are kind of like putting a hard box on my head. I tried the AD700's back in the day and I had the same experience, loved the sound hated how the fit my head. If I remember correctly, my experience comfort wise is very similar between the AD700 and K702. Thanks again for taking the time to help, I'm not really all that dissatisfied with the 58X's and will probably keep them even if I get another set. I was just looking for something a little more competitive oriented to go along with them.
Are you using it for PC or console or both?

Feb 29, 2020 at 11:48 AM Post #44,062 of 48,562
Are you using it for PC or console or both?

Console only, mostly on PS4, Xbox One occasionally.
IMG_20200220_200043-01.jpeg

Last edited:
Feb 29, 2020 at 1:20 PM Post #44,064 of 48,562
I am guessing that model of ASTRO Wireless Mixamp lacks EQ?
Are you just using it for plain dac duties or are you also using it for Dolby headphone VSS?

No EQ on this model. Main usage is for game and chat volume mix. VSS usage depends on the headphone and the game I'm playing. The 58X seem to behave better in stereo, the K702 and my old PC360's are best in VSS.

Mar 1, 2020 at 12:34 PM Post #44,065 of 48,562
I will be re-reviewing then since the 650 review was before I found my "real," review style, but most of the things probably remain true. I do have some opinions that have changed. I think if I had to choose between the 6XX and the HE400 today, it'd be the 6XX. Since other things have also changed, and I think they're better for gaming than I initially thought on that review.

Pre christmas I had a very long Division 2 session and just kept the HD 650 on and played with them. Didn't find it really truly detrimental to the experience. Makes for an immersive can if you can stomach the lowest octaves not being clean, clear or defined (or separated cleanly the more stuff is going on) as many other headphones.
Still the bass goes very very low (at least my JAR 650) and the lack of control adds a woofery note to the overall sound.
Also don't expect a huge soundstage like the HD 800 or a big one like the T1 but still good enough in conjunction with a VSS.

I recommend the 650 just to have it in your inventory for a nice good reset on how "cheap" things can be and yet be so wonderfully sounding with great timbre and detail.

Also, you should have never sold off your HE-4. It's such a nice gem. Fast, agile, jumpy, detailed, lots of air.

Mar 2, 2020 at 2:20 AM Post #44,066 of 48,562
Pre christmas I had a very long Division 2 session and just kept the HD 650 on and played with them. Didn't find it really truly detrimental to the experience. Makes for an immersive can if you can stomach the lowest octaves not being clean, clear or defined (or separated cleanly the more stuff is going on) as many other headphones.
Still the bass goes very very low (at least my JAR 650) and the lack of control adds a woofery note to the overall sound.
Also don't expect a huge soundstage like the HD 800 or a big one like the T1 but still good enough in conjunction with a VSS.

I recommend the 650 just to have it in your inventory for a nice good reset on how "cheap" things can be and yet be so wonderfully sounding with great timbre and detail.

Also, you should have never sold off your HE-4. It's such a nice gem. Fast, agile, jumpy, detailed, lots of air.
There's many things I shouldn't have sold off, lol. D7000 to name another.

Mar 2, 2020 at 6:46 AM Post #44,067 of 48,562
No EQ on this model. Main usage is for game and chat volume mix. VSS usage depends on the headphone and the game I'm playing. The 58X seem to behave better in stereo, the K702 and my old PC360's are best in VSS.
Perhaps a dac upgrade would serve you better than a headphone upgrade unless you want to spend several times more the price of your 58X. Something like the G6 would provide an alternative VSS option in SBX (which can be customised in its intensity for variable degrees of separation and projection) along with custom EQ options for basic compensation that should improve spatial awareness and imaging precision.

See for general info:
https://github.com/jaakkopasanen/AutoEq

It’s a PC project and works best with parametric equalisation but in lieu of that on consoles, with a dac that offers custom EQ profiles (Creative G6, X7 or Steelseries Gamedac etc.) you could try manual copying of the fixed band graphic EQ settings.

The below is the recommended EQ profile based on the Harman target curve for HD58X:

https://github.com/jaakkopasanen/AutoEq/tree/master/results/oratory1990/harman_over-ear_2018/Massdrop x Sennheiser HD 58X

Last edited:
Mar 2, 2020 at 9:08 AM Post #44,068 of 48,562
Perhaps a dac upgrade would serve you better than a headphone upgrade unless you want to spend several times more the price of your 58X. Something like the G6 would provide an alternative VSS option in SBX (which can be customised in its intensity for variable degrees of separation and projection) along with custom EQ options for basic compensation that should improve spatial awareness and imaging precision.

See for general info:
https://github.com/jaakkopasanen/AutoEq

It’s a PC project and works best with parametric equalisation but in lieu of that on consoles, with a dac that offers custom EQ profiles (Creative G6, X7 or Steelseries Gamedac etc.) you could try manual copying of the fixed band graphic EQ settings.

The below is the recommended EQ profile based on the Harman target curve for HD58X:

https://github.com/jaakkopasanen/AutoEq/tree/master/results/oratory1990/harman_over-ear_2018/Massdrop x Sennheiser HD 58X

The G6 is very much on my radar but a few things have been holding me back. Chat mix was introduced in beta but feedback on how well it works is very limited. There are also reports of the mic cutting out while in party chat on PS4. So I've been waiting for these issues to get ironed out before giving it a try. In the meantime I caved in and ordered the Dekoni velour pads for the K702's. Hopefully this will solve my comfort issues, as I really like the sound. Thanks again

Mar 2, 2020 at 3:47 PM Post #44,069 of 48,562
How much is the 650 in your neck of the woods?
"Cheap" is of course relative, but it's not the first word that comes to mind with a general retailers' price of £280 - £350 (let alone Sennheiser's own MSRP of £400).

Mar 2, 2020 at 8:44 PM Post #44,070 of 48,562
How much is the 650 in your neck of the woods?
"Cheap" is of course relative, but it's not the first word that comes to mind with a general retailers' price of £280 - £350 (let alone Sennheiser's own MSRP of £400).

I don't think anyone should be getting the 650 any time soon, unless there's no way to get the 6XX, which is so much cheaper and is the same thing. Unless people are collectors and NEED the 650 branding, of course.

But yeah, I do wonder if Fege being over there would net him a price that isn't as high as it would be for the US.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back