Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Sep 2, 2018 at 4:21 PM Post #40,981 of 48,562
I received the Mobius yesterday and I'm pleasantly surprised. MLE (or anybody with the Mobius already in their hands), I'm having some issues with 7.1 and I'd appreciate your feedback and/or help. The headset is on 7.1 mode and 3D Manual mode, centered. If I play some 7.1 test sounds, all the right sounds (front right, right, rear right) sound at 2 o'clock. If I move my head I can clearly pinpoint all these channels at 2. Same thing with the left channels, but at 10 o'clock. I was expecting to look back and hear the rear cues. Not sure what I'm doing wrong. Thanks in advance!

set windows to 7.1.

Sep 2, 2018 at 5:02 PM Post #40,984 of 48,562
Thanks for chiming in mindbomb. Do you have the Mobius? The Configure button in the Sound Panel is greyed out and does not accept any modification. I own the GSX1000 and I can change the settings to 7.1, but not with the Mobius.

I don't have a mobius, but if windows is set to stereo, that would cause the issue your having. Windows would be downmixing to stereo, and then the mobius would see that as 2 channel, and put everything in the front two channels.

Also, if you are getting the files from youtube, then probably the uploader didn't realize that youtube downmixes to stereo.

The problem is something is downmixing the audio before it gets to the mobius.

Last edited:
Sep 3, 2018 at 12:12 PM Post #40,985 of 48,562
I received the Mobius yesterday and I'm pleasantly surprised. MLE (or anybody with the Mobius already in their hands), I'm having some issues with 7.1 and I'd appreciate your feedback and/or help. The headset is on 7.1 mode and 3D Manual mode, centered. If I play some 7.1 test sounds, all the right sounds (front right, right, rear right) sound at 2 o'clock. If I move my head I can clearly pinpoint all these channels at 2. Same thing with the left channels, but at 10 o'clock. I was expecting to look back and hear the rear cues. Not sure what I'm doing wrong. Thanks in advance!
I'm not quite understanding. Are you trying to turn around and hear the rear sounds? Since you turned towards them they'll be in front of you...

Edit: oh looks like someone got you covered.

Last edited:
Sep 3, 2018 at 12:15 PM Post #40,986 of 48,562
Thanks for chiming in mindbomb. Do you have the Mobius? The Configure button in the Sound Panel is greyed out and does not accept any modification. I own the GSX1000 and I can change the settings to 7.1, but not with the Mobius.
You have to adjust Mobius settings in the headset itself. Can't do it on PC aside from headtracking settings like head size, etc.

Sep 3, 2018 at 1:03 PM Post #40,987 of 48,562
DSC_3055.JPG
Yay

Last edited:
Sep 3, 2018 at 1:54 PM Post #40,988 of 48,562
I'm not quite understanding. Are you trying to turn around and hear the rear sounds? Since you turned towards them they'll be in front of you...

Edit: oh looks like someone got you covered.
Sorry for the confusion, let me explain it in a different way. I'm downloading 5.1/7.1 test files and playing them from VLC, following this KB from Audeze (https://audeze.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/360003923192-Surround-Sound-Playback-in-VLC).

When I'm centered, and assuming a fixed clock, we have FR at 1 o'clock, SR at 3, SBR at 5, SBL at 7, SL at 9 and FL at 11.

upload_2018-9-3_10-46-34.png

When testing files, each speaker plays an individual sound so you can pinpoint which one it is. My goal is to move my head and always find the playing sound right in front of me. To test SBR, I should rotate my head to 5 o'clock and the sound, in theory, should be coming in front of me. My problem is that FR, SR and SBR are coming from the same physical location (2 o'clock), when they should be separated in space (2, 3, 5). Same thing for the left channels. The headset is confirmed to be in 7.1 mode.

Hope it makes more sense now.

Sep 3, 2018 at 2:47 PM Post #40,989 of 48,562
Sorry for the confusion, let me explain it in a different way. I'm downloading 5.1/7.1 test files and playing them from VLC, following this KB from Audeze (https://audeze.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/360003923192-Surround-Sound-Playback-in-VLC).

When I'm centered, and assuming a fixed clock, we have FR at 1 o'clock, SR at 3, SBR at 5, SBL at 7, SL at 9 and FL at 11.

When testing files, each speaker plays an individual sound so you can pinpoint which one it is. My goal is to move my head and always find the playing sound right in front of me. To test SBR, I should rotate my head to 5 o'clock and the sound, in theory, should be coming in front of me. My problem is that FR, SR and SBR are coming from the same physical location (2 o'clock), when they should be separated in space (2, 3, 5). Same thing for the left channels. The headset is confirmed to be in 7.1 mode.

Hope it makes more sense now.

Are you talking about physically turning your head in real life? The direction cues aren't going to change with your head movement unless you have some sort of head tracker device like the Smyth Realiser uses

edit: nevermind, I guess what you're talking about actually has some head tracking ability

Last edited:
Sep 4, 2018 at 8:12 AM Post #40,993 of 48,562
Hi everyone. I have a pair of AD700X paired with a Mixamp Pro Tr that I'm currently using on my PS3.

I'm a bit disappointed by the Dolby Surround sound. I even tried some custom EQs but it didn't make any difference, I can't even detect the direction of footsteps...any suggestions?

There's been several complaints about the Dolby audio quality of the Mixamp TR from what I read in the astro forum. Are older mixamps better (as far as Dolby is concerned) or is there anything I can do to improve sound quality?

Anyone using the Ad700x with the Mixamp Pro TR?

Thanks.

Sep 4, 2018 at 9:50 AM Post #40,994 of 48,562
Hi everyone. I have a pair of AD700X paired with a Mixamp Pro Tr that I'm currently using on my PS3.

I'm a bit disappointed by the Dolby Surround sound. I even tried some custom EQs but it didn't make any difference, I can't even detect the direction of footsteps...any suggestions?

There's been several complaints about the Dolby audio quality of the Mixamp TR from what I read in the astro forum. Are older mixamps better (as far as Dolby is concerned) or is there anything I can do to improve sound quality?

Anyone using the Ad700x with the Mixamp Pro TR?

Thanks.
I used to have this setup. Now I have the sound blasterx g6 and it sounds way better than the mixamp.

Sep 4, 2018 at 10:22 AM Post #40,995 of 48,562
While I thought I was done chasing surround through headphones and was just going to wait until the Realiser A16 gets delivered (which could be another year for all I know based on all the prior delays) I am actually quite interested in the Sound Blasterx G6 as it seems to tick almost all the boxes I’d use it for. I have a PS4 Pro, Xbox One X, PC, Nintendo Switch, and Nvidia Shield TV. I know it’s compatible with the first four of those, and I think the Nvidia Shield can send some sort of surround over USB although I’m not sure if it’s something that would work with the G6. For $150 I may have to take a leap of faith and try it out. Seems to me that what I’ve read on here is pretty positive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back