Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Aug 18, 2018 at 4:33 AM Post #40,771 of 48,562
It does and profoundly so. Having been through the 2nd week of the GumBy I never experienced movies to be so stellar over headphones, noticably better in imaging, the creation of space and room. I stopped using any other plugin other than Dolby Access and I'm having a blast.
The Gungnir has elevated the whole movie experience which the Modi MB could not at all in comparison to a handful of other DACs. GumBy however did. Outside of speakers no headphones does our hobby so well than the HD800.

Just wait for it and see for yourself.

Oh, and it's not only about how these DACs create the image, space and trace the cues, it's also about their tonality, finest detail and especially the way the bass is recreated. The CFF surely plays a huge role here.
Dolby Atmos or Access? Which plugin do you mean?

Aug 18, 2018 at 9:33 AM Post #40,772 of 48,562
Been using this guide since 2013 & recently joined because I need expert advice as I have a lack of knowledge when it applies to audio.. I used to have the mixamp pro with a schiit amp connected to my PS4. I have gotten rid of both because I had quit gaming for some time due to circumstances.

Anyways, I now want to use the Sound Blaster X7 for Dolby HP sound from PS4. Positional cues are the most important to me as well as game immersion. I lean more to the value of cues/immersion (competitive) over the (fun) factor but not if if it's fatiguing or unnatural to listen to & definitely don't like a heavy bass. I have AKG K702 Annie's with plans on getting MrSpeakers Ether Flows. I only will get an amp if it's beneficial to the setup & the type of Amp or Amp/DAC depends on the feedback I get.

I was wondering if it would be possible/beneficial to hook up any good quality amp to the SB X7? I seen no such diagram on this guide but did see it used with the Mixamp Pro & was curious if a HP amp could be applied much the same way but w/ the SB X7.

If it possible/beneficial to add an amp, I wanted to see if it's possible to get a balanced signal from an amp that has 2) 3 pin XLR outputs (balanced) &/or 1) 4 pin XLR output (balanced). The goal is to use those balanced output(s) along w/Annie's via 1)mini 4 pin XLR upgraded connection & w/ Ether Flow via the 2)mini 3 pin XLR connections. So in short, is it possible to get a balanced signal (XLR) from an amp hooked up to the SB X7?

I'm under the impression of the following based on what I read. 1) I can't get Dolby sound from just any standalone Amp/DAC, as they need the DSP chip to get Dolby sound. 2)Stereo sound with a good Amp/DAC like the CMA 600i, Yulong DA9, or even higher end Amp/DAC's can't match the positional cues/immersion of Dolby HP's sound. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

With great anticipation, I look forward to an informative response. Your help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
Aug 18, 2018 at 10:30 AM Post #40,773 of 48,562
I got something that I can't talk about yet, but all I can say is that those of you looking into gaming virtual surround amps like the Mixamp and what have you, there is something coming that even on my first day of use is gonna make the Mixamp obsolete especially if you want virtual surround but may wanna use either your own dac (with spdif optical input), or your own amps without double amping.

Think of it like the X7, but more cost effective. And it works for everything like the X7. A cheaper alternative. You won't need it if you already have the X7.

I'm excited about it. It's gonna make it easier for people who can't afford the X7. :)

I'll mention what it is in less than two weeks. The review probably won't be done then but I will at least let you know what it is.

Do I already know about it?

Also, someone wants to read your Dekoni pad review for the HE-400, but I feel kinda bad linking them to your first post since it’s all the way at the bottom. Didn’t you post the review separately in the thread too? Got a link for that? Hah ^__^'`

Aug 18, 2018 at 11:08 AM Post #40,774 of 48,562
Soundblaster Super X-Fi?
03AA956D-A7EE-4423-AD72-32BA1E2F32B8.jpeg

So in order to get my iPod to play higher bit rate via the host usb input ( input on the side) I have to change settings via windows?
My settings on windows are at 24bit 196khz and it has no problems playing on the x7. Only issue I have is when I use just the ipod as host while playing on PS4. Only then does the x7 limit bit rate to 48khz

I mainly use the x7 on PS4.
Apple limited the iPod’s output to 16/44. I’m not going to get into the debate about whether or not higher resolutions can more accurately describe the wobbles in a sine wave, but I will say that the mastering quality of the song and quality of the DAC/amp/headphone will make a much more obvious difference in quality once you reach CD quality (16/44).

I was wondering if it would be possible/beneficial to hook up any good quality amp to the SB X7? I seen no such diagram on this guide but did see it used with the Mixamp Pro & was curious if a HP amp could be applied much the same way but w/ the SB X7.
[spoilers]

If it possible/beneficial to add an amp, I wanted to see if it's possible to get a balanced signal from an amp that has 2) 3 pin XLR outputs (balanced) &/or 1) 4 pin XLR output (balanced). The goal is to use those balanced output(s) along w/Annie's via 1)mini 4 pin XLR upgraded connection & w/ Ether Flow via the 2)mini 3 pin XLR connections. So in short, is it possible to get a balanced signal (XLR) from an amp hooked up to the SB X7?

I'm under the impression of the following based on what I read. 1) I can't get Dolby sound from just any standalone Amp/DAC, as they need the DSP chip to get Dolby sound. 2)Stereo sound with a good Amp/DAC like the CMA 600i, Yulong DA9, or even higher end Amp/DAC's can't match the positional cues/immersion of Dolby HP's sound. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

With great anticipation, I look forward to an informative response. Your help would be greatly appreciated.[/Spoilers]

Firstly, the X7 is already a powerful desktop amp, and not to be underestimated by itself. Plenty for all the headphones you mentioned. If you want better than that, it’s also worth considering that often you would financially be more efficient if you purchased upgrade opamps for the X7, and a few good options (Sparkos, Burson, Muse, etc) are reviewed and liked. Second, an amp can be connected to the X7 in the same way as a mixamp (by plugging into the headphone ports), or by connecting to the line-out RCA ports on the back (I don’t know if these pass along the DSP surround effect).

Third, if you want to use a higher end DAC and subsequent audio chain, the X7 has an optical output that CAN pass along the DSP Surround effect, and is the only console-compatible, Dolby 7.1 decoding, and headphone surround processing device I am aware of (other than the $4k Smyth Realizers). By higher end, expect to spend several hundred dollars more than the price of the X7 before you hear an audible benefit in all aspects.

Did it sound better for me to use PS4 > Creative X7 > Chord Mojo > Cavalli Liquid Carbon > XLR4 > Headphone? Yes. But I was still happy and having fun without using the extra complexity, electricity use, and desktop footprint. The X7 was a moderately superior device on it’s own.

Aug 18, 2018 at 12:02 PM Post #40,775 of 48,562
@Evshrug. Thank you for your response. So in your opinion it's not worth adding an amp because the audio quality increase is just a fraction better? I was already checking into op-amps & that sounds like a good possibility. Would the power adapter upgrade be worthwhile?

Last edited:
Aug 18, 2018 at 1:07 PM Post #40,777 of 48,562

Apple limited the iPod’s output to 16/44. I’m not going to get into the debate about whether or not higher resolutions can more accurately describe the wobbles in a sine wave, but I will say that the mastering quality of the song and quality of the DAC/amp/headphone will make a much more obvious difference in quality once you reach CD quality (16/44)

The output isn’t limited via lightning, which is what I’m using.

On a separate note, my he-560 sounds awesome on the x7. Takes considerably more power to push compared to the ath-a900x

Aug 18, 2018 at 5:11 PM Post #40,778 of 48,562
Anyone know what to use to extract opamps? I wanna go back to the stock ones on the X7 after having replaced them with some I don't personally like ( @mbyrnes gave me some Burson v5i opamps that sounds harsh and bright to me.)

I ended up butchering the stock ones while trying to take them out so I gotta buy a replacement set, but don't wanna ruin the Bursons just in case.

@Evshrug. Thank you for your response. So in your opinion it's not worth adding an amp because the audio quality increase is just a fraction better? I was already checking into op-amps & that sounds like a good possibility. Would the power adapter upgrade be worthwhile?

In audio, we're playing a game of fractions as improvements. If you're already leaning towards to X7, really, it will NOT let you down. The DAC portion is really good, the amp is powerful, and if you think you need more, you can always get a better amp later.

I say amp, because if I was going to be improve, i'd do an amp first since I'm 100% happy with the DAC. Perhaps a tube amp as an alternative to the amp in the X7.

I wish the new Lyr wasn't so expensive.

Last edited:
Aug 18, 2018 at 5:55 PM Post #40,780 of 48,562
hi guys,

recently bought the sennheiser gsp 300 and every time I turn the mic downwards, it seems to be unable to keep its position and it would always bottom out. even if i set it at a half way position (closer to my mouth), the mic would slowly turn downwards. while it doesnt really impact my speech volume, i find it kinda annoying. is this actually its intended design or do i have a flawed headset?

Aug 18, 2018 at 7:14 PM Post #40,781 of 48,562
Anyone know what to use to extract opamps? I wanna go back to the stock ones on the X7 after having replaced them with some I don't personally like ( @mbyrnes gave me some Burson v5i opamps that sounds harsh and bright to me.)

I ended up butchering the stock ones while trying to take them out so I gotta buy a replacement set, but don't wanna ruin the Bursons just in case.

In audio, we're playing a game of fractions as improvements. If you're already leaning towards to X7, really, it will NOT let you down. The DAC portion is really good, the amp is powerful, and if you think you need more, you can always get a better amp later.

I say amp, because if I was going to be improve, i'd do an amp first since I'm 100% happy with the DAC. Perhaps a tube amp as an alternative to the amp in the X7.

I wish the new Lyr wasn't so expensive.

I used a combo of a very small screwdriver to slowly pry up the opamps from each angle then some surgical forceps to grab them from the top and slowly wiggle them out.
My stock ones came out without any issues.

Aug 18, 2018 at 8:48 PM Post #40,782 of 48,562
Speaking of the x7. Is there a certain surround volume that is ideally the best sounding?
100% max out the surround. SBX has little reverb so maxing it out doesn't have any real detriments unless you want a smaller soundstage.

Aug 19, 2018 at 1:49 AM Post #40,784 of 48,562

I've seen people claim that feeding the signal through a tube amp may have negative effects on the vss (in general, not limited to X7). How true is that?

Aug 19, 2018 at 4:10 AM Post #40,785 of 48,562
I've seen people claim that feeding the signal through a tube amp may have negative effects on the vss (in general, not limited to X7). How true is that?
I've only owned the original Schiit Lyr and Schiit Vali as far as amps with tubes go. I didn't find any detriments to VSS, though the Vali 100% absolutely had a smaller soundstage compared to whatever solid state amp I had at the time. May have been an Audio GD one. But the Vali sounded so beautiful I didn't mind the soundstage being smaller. In either case, VSS makes the soundstage large anyways.

So take what people say with a grain of salt.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back