Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Nov 18, 2013 at 11:08 PM Post #18,032 of 48,568
  Currently the Creative Labs Sound Blaster Z (SB1500, retail box), for $100, seems to be a good value for what your get.
The SB1500 comes with a shielding over part of the card and also comes with a microphone.

Does it matter if the headphones are open or closed?

Thanks for your response.

It does matter to me that the headphones are closed, as I plan on attending several LAN events in the future with my setup.

I can't have outside noise getting in the way.

Would that Sound Blaster Z be ideal for such low ohm headphones?

I'm basically looking for a setup similar to what LiamIV just described above.

I need highly competitive directional sound, but I'd like a rich full sound for when I'm relaxing and playing RPGs and such.

Nov 19, 2013 at 1:12 AM Post #18,034 of 48,568
You can't expect a huge, deep soundstage with deep, powerful bass. There are always tradeoffs. A good middle ground is the Fidelio X1, but if you want deeper bass, get the HE-400 with velour pads (buy the velour pads off the Head-Direct website).

I do hope you have the right amping, Mixamp, etc. Seriously, I'd start with the Fidelio X1, as that may be all the headphone you will ever need, and better gaming performer than the HE-400.

Ok, so I just bought CoD ghosts digitally. Probably start streaming it tomorrow.

I ordered the Astro Mixamp Pro 2013, and in your review you said that the Fidelio should work fine just with the Mixamp. 

Thanks so much for your help! Figured it's best to just go straight to an expert for this information. Ended up going with the Philips. 

Thanks again, 
Liam

Nov 19, 2013 at 1:13 AM Post #18,035 of 48,568
Thanks for your response.

It does matter to me that the headphones are closed, as I plan on attending several LAN events in the future with my setup.

I need highly competitive directional sound, but I'd like a rich full sound for when I'm relaxing and playing RPGs and such.

If you want the best of both, you're gonna need two headphones... Sorry to break it to ya.

The MA900 would be a great choice for relaxing with a full body, but for a closed can you'd probably be best served by something with a fair bit of treble sparkle (especially in a loud environ) and air, so a bit less bass (which closed headphones naturally/usually have more bass). I'm not quite sure which closed can to recommend, I haven't often been in that situation... from my experience though, if you really need to shut out the outside world and focus on the audio, nothing beats the abilities of an IEM. Joker has a huge thread of IEM reviews, so look there for one with good treble extension and pretty neutral bass (or see if you'd be allowed to EQ down the bass a bit). For a closed headphone, I have a V-MODA M-100, which has actually a good sense of positional imaging IMO, but the bass is a little "fun" for competitive use, and long-term you need to give your ears a break. From what I read, the XL Earpads decrease the bass while increasing soundstage and comfort, so one day I'll probably pick a pair of those up, but keep in mind the M-100 is a $300 closed headphone.

When you go to these LAN events, are you bringing a desktop (m-atx sized?) with an available internal PCI express card slot, or a laptop? If you need a small, external, easy to transport surround processor and DAC, the Sound Blaster Omni may be a better choice for you.

I don't know what the Omni's output impedance is, since it's one of Creative's most recent products, but if you're ever worried about output impedance mismatch, pick up an external amp with low output Ohms, like the cheap FiiO E5 or a more expensive amp to match your headphones. Side note: the Sony MA900 has an impedance compensator, so that one doesn't need special consideration in that way.

Nov 19, 2013 at 1:22 AM Post #18,036 of 48,568
  Has anyone tried the Q701 with the bass port mod and Annie pads at the same time? How did it sound?

I've tried it on the K712.

Basically the mod is going to make the bass a tad rumblier.  The pads add overall warmth, and the mod adds a tad more bass rumble ontop of that.

Nov 19, 2013 at 1:37 AM Post #18,037 of 48,568
I've tried it on the K712.

Basically the mod is going to make the bass a tad rumblier.  The pads add overall warmth, and the mod adds a tad more bass rumble ontop of that.

I know I still ought to swap back to the Q701 pads, but are there any other mods to create the reverse effect of the bass port mod?

Nov 19, 2013 at 1:38 AM Post #18,038 of 48,568

The SB-Z & SB-Zx (Sound Blaster Z & Zx) headphone output impedance is 22-Ohms, so technically you would want to use a headphone with an impedance of 176-Ohms or higher, but I'm sure there are people in the world using headphones with less then 176-Ohms, with their SB-Z, like in the 32-Ohm to 65-Ohm range.
Anyway, there is the Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 250-Ohm headphones.

Nov 19, 2013 at 1:42 AM Post #18,039 of 48,568
I know I still ought to swap back to the Q701 pads, but are there any other mods to create the reverse effect of the bass port mod?

I don't think so.

And yes, you should. 
wink.gif

Nov 19, 2013 at 6:14 AM Post #18,041 of 48,568
I really must recommend the Audio Technica ATH-A900X, or ATH-W1000X, priced at $189 and $499 from AudioCubes [or $399 off Amazon/Ebay]
I think the 900X, is very good for a closed headphone, runs well practically off anything, incl. the Asus U3, and is quite sturdy 

Nov 19, 2013 at 8:00 AM Post #18,043 of 48,568
@Mad Lust Envy
, Any chance you'll review the Audio Technica ATH-AD700X/900X/1000X and/or Shure SRH1840 in the near future?

He said he might be out of the headphone game for a bit so I doubt it

Nov 19, 2013 at 9:54 AM Post #18,044 of 48,568
I really must recommend the Audio Technica ATH-A900X, or ATH-W1000X, priced at $189 and $499 from AudioCubes [or $399 off Amazon/Ebay]
I think the 900X, is very good for a closed headphone, runs well practically off anything, incl. the Asus U3, and is quite sturdy 

How well does it isolate you from ambient noise, people talking a few feet away from you?

Nov 19, 2013 at 10:33 AM Post #18,045 of 48,568
Deciding between two setups, input would be appreciated. Currently have dt770 pro-250s. Two options I'm considering are:

SoundBlaster Z > Magni > dt770

or

RazerSurround > Modi > Magni > dt770

I've demo'd the razer software and it's is not too shabby for what it is. Is SBX much better if at all? This is for game immersion with headphones only, I don't like any type of software on while listening to music and I watch movies on an actual 5.1 setup. 

I love DH for its superior positional cues but I just can't deal with all the reverb.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back