Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Nov 10, 2013 at 1:36 AM Post #17,839 of 48,562
Yeah, that'd be my guess. I think at the most, you MIGHT find some games bundled with the purchase of the systems... assuming you can even get the systems without pre-orders. Not sure, as I tend to buy my all my stuff online with release date delivery (Amazon is my financial kryptonite).

Nov 10, 2013 at 1:51 AM Post #17,841 of 48,562
I was considering cancelling my pre-order for the PS4, but sooner or later, I will still have it. May as well have it now.

Nov 10, 2013 at 2:28 AM Post #17,843 of 48,562
  On the topic of displays, this will probably be my new monitor once its more widely available, seems like one of the best monitors to come out in a damn long time, love me the VA black levels, tftcentral tested a 4845:1 contrast which is crazy.

tftcentral review - http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/eizo_fg2421.htm
product page - http://gaming.eizo.com/products/foris_fg2421/

On the topic of TVs, the Sony "W" series from 2013 is the current best tv from a gaming standpoint as far as I know, with a recorded input lag of 14.6ms/6ms or so, which is sub 1 frame and pretty damn amazing for a TV. Also, it has proper 4:4:4 chroma support

here is one review of the 42 inch model - http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/sony-kdl42w653-201308113237.htm and a little preview from the results
Input lag (high-speed camera)6ms compared to lag-free CRT in [Game] mode
Leo Bodnar input lag tester15ms in [Game] mode
Full 4:4:4 reproduction (PC)Yes, in [Game] and [Graphics] modes

I'll prob be picking up the 42 inch model at some point since my friend works at best buy and can get me one for 700 after taxes so not to bad imo.

It uses a VA type panel as well, which is pretty much unrivaled for black levels in my opinion.

I linked the FlatpanelsHD review on the last page.

A friend of mine told me about that monitor a few days ago, and the fact that it's a 120 Hz (effective input refresh rate, not counting the black frame insertion) LCD that's VA, or any non-TN panel type for that matter, is really promising. The only thing that still irritates me is the 1920x1080 resolution, but it's most likely one enforced by current display interfaces.

As for that TV model, it appears to be a UK-specific model, and there is no way I'm getting reamed on the exchange rate and other importing-related costs just to get one delivered to the US. The closest I can find is the KDL-47W802A, which is already over $1,000 bought new. Way too rich for my blood, and there's no 42" model on offer here in the States.

Nov 10, 2013 at 3:07 AM Post #17,844 of 48,562

As for that TV model, it appears to be a UK-specific model, and there is no way I'm getting reamed on the exchange rate and other importing-related costs just to get one delivered to the US. The closest I can find is the KDL-47W802A, which is already over $1,000 bought new. Way too rich for my blood, and there's no 42" model on offer here in the States.

I thought the US should have a 42" model for the the W65x series? It's currently the very best bang-for-the-buck gamers HDTV one can get right now.
Every other region and country has the 42" model, kind of odd the US doesn't?

I'd stay away from the W802 though, poor blacks... though very much expected from an IPS panel.

Nov 10, 2013 at 7:26 AM Post #17,845 of 48,562
Hey guys,

Been recently made aware of this thread. It's immense and I appreciate the effort everyone has put into this.

I would like to clarify something. 

I play games on a laptop and generally listen to music a lot more. I've been beginning to think about purchasing an ATH-AD700/AD700x. I see that Mad Lust uses the Mixamp, however that little box doesn't put out surround sound when connected through USB. My laptop doesn't have an optical out, only HDMI. Which the Astro doesn't support.

Does this mean I am pretty much stuck with the Creative Sound Blaster Recon 3D?

Thanks for any help!

Nov 10, 2013 at 9:13 AM Post #17,846 of 48,562

I play games on a laptop and generally listen to music a lot more. I've been beginning to think about purchasing an ATH-AD700/AD700x. I see that Mad Lust uses the Mixamp, however that little box doesn't put out surround sound when connected through USB. My laptop doesn't have an optical out, only HDMI. Which the Astro doesn't support.

Thanks for any help!

Look into one of these:
http://www.asus.com/Sound_Cards_and_DigitaltoAnalog_Converters/Xonar_Audio_Cards_Mobile_and_Laptop_Products/

Nov 10, 2013 at 9:40 AM Post #17,847 of 48,562

Thanks for any help!

Just like Chico mentioned there are alternatives. Granted, I don't feel that you'd be "stuck" with the Recon3D USB as I feel it's a quite capable device. The link he gave you has Asus's 3 models for surround processing. The U3 is excellent on a budget. And many places will offer it with a Mail In Rebate from time to time. When you factor in the MIR, I got the U3 myself a while back for $15. Hard to argue with that price. I haven't heard the U1, though I've always wanted to as I love the design. And I've only heard the U7 briefly so I don't have any strong opinions one way or another on it. But I liked what I did hear.

Nov 10, 2013 at 9:55 AM Post #17,848 of 48,562

Look into one of these:
http://www.asus.com/Sound_Cards_and_DigitaltoAnalog_Converters/Xonar_Audio_Cards_Mobile_and_Laptop_Products/

Just like Chico mentioned there are alternatives. Granted, I don't feel that you'd be "stuck" with the Recon3D USB as I feel it's a quite capable device. The link he gave you has Asus's 3 models for surround processing. The U3 is excellent on a budget. And many places will offer it with a Mail In Rebate from time to time. When you factor in the MIR, I got the U3 myself a while back for $15. Hard to argue with that price. I haven't heard the U1, though I've always wanted to as I love the design. And I've only heard the U7 briefly so I don't have any strong opinions one way or another on it. But I liked what I did hear.

Thanks for the advice! 

The U7 is just out of my budget (if you consider the AD700). I am not sure if the U3 and U1 handle 5.1 surround. However, I am happy to see you endorse the 3D Recon, it's well within my budget and supports surround sound!

Nov 10, 2013 at 10:22 AM Post #17,850 of 48,562
  On a budget, I think the U3 is excellent. So if you're looking to save a few bucks and you don't need console/Mac support then I'd say go U3. For me the Recon3D is perfect because it works in both OS X and Windows. The U3 does not.

Thanks again! I didn't know the U3 offered surround sound! I am convinced to go for the U3.

Is it a good match up with the AD700? I realise that gaming requires a large/wide soundstage, but I also want a normal pair of headphones for rock/classical music. Think the AD700 come the closest to satisfying all this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back