Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Nov 9, 2013 at 2:44 AM Post #17,821 of 48,564
Then I can finally leave my KSC35 in my bag as I have been forgetting them in random places lately. I'm at work tonight with no headphones because I left my 35s on my dresser. ARGHghdjksjfjdfa;fka

the PX100-II can really bump.... so I'll be getting a lot of use for them when I listen to music. Probably more than my MA900. That and taking it to work everyday. The days I forget them, is when I'll whip out the trust old KSC35.

Nov 9, 2013 at 2:48 AM Post #17,823 of 48,564
But they're oval. I don't wanna stretch out your pads just to see if it works. :frowning2:

Nov 9, 2013 at 2:49 AM Post #17,824 of 48,564
True, but I have a feeling you'll want to buy them once you do...
tongue_smile.gif

Nov 9, 2013 at 9:42 AM Post #17,826 of 48,564

Hnnnggg!!

I want some. 

I would love to have a pair of those with the parts express headband attached.  That would be one sweet little headphone. 

Check out this beast, Sennheiser PMX 100:

The graph looks nice, similar to the PX 100 but with even more bass:

There's also a PMX 200, but the graph looks horrible:
http://www.headphone.com/headphones/sennheiser-pmx-200.php

Nov 9, 2013 at 9:48 AM Post #17,827 of 48,564
  I can and I've tried. Its the silent cinema headphone technology thats messing with my sound mix. It amps the signal and changes the mix no matter how I hook it up. I can't turn it off. It automatically turns on when you plug in headphones. I guess I just prefer dolby headphone to game with my Q701s. 

I would think that surely there's got to be a way to disable silent cinema.  If the headphone jack has an undefeatable always-on DSP, that's pretty horrible design.

Nov 9, 2013 at 9:56 AM Post #17,828 of 48,564

I would think that surely there's got to be a way to disable silent cinema.  If the headphone jack has an undefeatable always-on DSP, that's pretty horrible desI've 

I've dug through all the menu's, googled like crazy and spent hrs digging through forums and I can't find a way to turn it off!? I've tried all the presets and nothing sounds good for gaming. Maybe its just the fact that my receiver isn't properly amping my AKGs? Thats why I'm looking for the right solid state amp pairing just for gaming with Q701's. I just want to sound whore like its my job in bf4 lol.

Nov 9, 2013 at 11:27 AM Post #17,830 of 48,564
^LOL @ GIF
Mad's PX100 makes me want to put fresh pads on mine... I loved them through college, most used audio speaker, though the pads are now threadbare

Mad,
YouTube is being... uncooperative with my iOS devices (it's almost like Google is competing against Apple! IKR, wouldn't that be a pain!), so I just wanted to say YES those Q701 are the ones I bought from you, and YES I've been babying them (aside from normal use... Well, normal use but a lot of time :D ). Thanks for the comment. I wonder if Orion will ever see it? Lol I dragged my feet a little, but still it makes a worthy "IIKT Journal" entry for newbies.

I can and I've tried. Its the silent cinema headphone technology thats messing with my sound mix. It amps the signal and changes the mix no matter how I hook it up. I can't turn it off. It automatically turns on when you plug in headphones. I guess I just prefer dolby headphone to game with my Q701s. 

I believe you just have to press the "Straight" button and select straight stereo... Works with my Yamaha and my Q701, don't see why it would be different for you.

Nov 9, 2013 at 11:45 AM Post #17,831 of 48,564
^LOL @ GIF
Mad's PX100 makes me want to put fresh pads on mine... I loved them through college, most used audio speaker, though the pads are now threadbare

Mad,
YouTube is being... uncooperative with my iOS devices (it's almost like Google is competing against Apple! IKR, wouldn't that be a pain!), so I just wanted to say YES those Q701 are the ones I bought from you, and YES I've been babying them (aside from normal use... Well, normal use but a lot of time
biggrin.gif
). Thanks for the comment. I wonder if Orion will ever see it? Lol I dragged my feet a little, but still it makes a worthy "IIKT Journal" entry for newbies.
I believe you just have to press the "Straight" button and select straight stereo... Works with my Yamaha and my Q701, don't see why it would be different for you.

Sorry but thats not what I'm hearing when I use the "straight" audio feature.  That is the one I play with but I feel as if my positional audio goes to s**t with my yamaha now. Its louder but I'm trading loud for accuracy of directional audio imo. The first 100 to 150hrs were amazing with that exact set up(mixamp to yamaha on "straight" to Q701s) but the last 600+hrs have been a losing battle for me. The detail and directionality has faded over time.

Nov 9, 2013 at 1:16 PM Post #17,834 of 48,564
On the topic of displays, this will probably be my new monitor once its more widely available, seems like one of the best monitors to come out in a damn long time, love me the VA black levels, tftcentral tested a 4845:1 contrast which is crazy.

tftcentral review - http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/eizo_fg2421.htm
product page - http://gaming.eizo.com/products/foris_fg2421/

On the topic of TVs, the Sony "W" series from 2013 is the current best tv from a gaming standpoint as far as I know, with a recorded input lag of 14.6ms/6ms or so, which is sub 1 frame and pretty damn amazing for a TV. Also, it has proper 4:4:4 chroma support

here is one review of the 42 inch model - http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/sony-kdl42w653-201308113237.htm and a little preview from the results
Input lag (high-speed camera)6ms compared to lag-free CRT in [Game] mode
Leo Bodnar input lag tester15ms in [Game] mode
Full 4:4:4 reproduction (PC)Yes, in [Game] and [Graphics] modes

I'll prob be picking up the 42 inch model at some point since my friend works at best buy and can get me one for 700 after taxes so not to bad imo.

It uses a VA type panel as well, which is pretty much unrivaled for black levels in my opinion.

Nov 10, 2013 at 12:56 AM Post #17,835 of 48,564
So I rented CoD:Ghosts for the PS3 (wanted to test it before I bought it on the PS4 next week).

I probably won't be buying the game after all. I just don't like the maps. They seem to be getting bigger, and more congested every year. Sometimes simplicity is best. Now it's trying to be a half assed Battlefield. Leave the big maps to Battlefield, geez. I like CoD for it's fast paced matches. Now everything has slowed down...again.

One good thing that came out of this game is that positional cues seem to be back to a good place. Even in the campaign (almost finished), I hear some distinct positional cues with the MA900. CoD's campaigns have been mostly terrible for audio cues, so this was a surprise.

I'm probably gonna pick up Killzone on the PS4 as my first next gen experience. I downloaded a high res, lightly compressed video of it running at 60fps, and I was amazed at how tight it looks and seems to play. Never been a KZ fan (I only played KZ2, and didn't care for it much), but with the multiplayer now running at 60fps, I might just start being one. I can't take online shooters seriously unless they run at 60fps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back