Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Nov 7, 2013 at 1:33 AM Post #17,776 of 48,563
  Oh hey, lookie here. Is that Arkham City I spy? I think it might be. First to claim gets it. More to follow.

https://www.humblebundle.com/gift?key=wSFvkb4ZBxSEz8Pb

i took it. Finished arkham asylum and this would be a great game to do on the side of all the dota playing lol. 

Nov 7, 2013 at 2:18 AM Post #17,777 of 48,563
So my annies arrive tomorrow, but my asgard 2 will not be in for a week. Can I still try the Annie's out on my mixamp?

Of course you can. The Annie is sensitive enough to at least play loudly off the Mixamp alone, albeit less refined. I used my Q701 off the Mixamp alone more often than not, and only attached an amp when I used voice chat.

Nov 7, 2013 at 9:50 AM Post #17,778 of 48,563
Has anyone tried that Audio-Technica ATH-770COM Stereo Headset for gaming? I just did a search but nothing came up. It's up on Amazon for only $72.99 with FSSS.

Nov 7, 2013 at 4:30 PM Post #17,779 of 48,563

Unfortunately, no one knows how mic functions will work with the PS4 yet because it is different from the PS3. Eventhough Sony has said USB headsets will theoretically work, it isn't a 100% certainty.

All PS4s will come with a mono earphone though which includes a mic, connects to the DS4. If there is a function to output all chat voices to the game voices (like you can now with the PS3), then the issue is solved. You could just continue using the PS4 > Receiver > TV, then just hang the mono earphone on your shirt or something.

Thanks for the info!

Nov 8, 2013 at 4:13 AM Post #17,780 of 48,563
Hello,

First of all, I have to thank for the comprehensive guide on the headset reviews. The reviews and scores are very easy to follow while being detailed enough.

I have decided on getting AKG 702 65th, Beyerdynamic DT990, Philips Fidelio X1 or a Sony MDR-MA900 for starters.

Easy questions here (I presume ^^)

1- Which of the cans above can be drived without an amp ?

2- I have found a second hand AKG 702 here in Turkey however it's not a 65th ann. edition. What should I expect to be lower/worse with that headset compared to 65th ann. edition?

Thank you.

Nov 8, 2013 at 4:21 AM Post #17,781 of 48,563
Without an amp? The MA900 and the X1.

The standard K702 will be inefficient compared to the Annie, due to less density in the pads, allowing less sound to reach your ears.

The K702 (all of them), and the 990s need some good amps to bring the best out of them. The other two don't require much, and adding power is more for eeking out the last bit of performance and smoothening out the rough edges, not a pure requirement. A portable amp would work well with both X1 and MA900.

Your choice comes down to whether you want more bass, or more balance. I've mentioned how each sounds in the review, so I won't repeat myself.

Nov 8, 2013 at 4:29 AM Post #17,782 of 48,563
What amp did you use/recommend for the Q701's and what mix amp did you use/recommend? I need to use voice chat often when I play.

I play xbox 360/ps3 (soon to bee the new console) with a set of Q701s directly from my astro mixamp pro but I find the sound is lacking in power. In all my research I kinda missed the point that the Q701s needed an amp to get everything out of them. I now run them threw my yamaha receiver with their "silent cinema" headphone technology. Its great for movies but know i'm losing positional audio for gaming. Tried this with and without the mix amp and same thing. I get more power and sound quality from my Q701s but lose positional audio. Should I just give up and get some ad700/ad700x's or maybe the MA900's? I really do love my AKG's and want to make them work with my setup. 

Nov 8, 2013 at 4:36 AM Post #17,783 of 48,563
Without an amp? The MA900 and the X1.

The standard K702 will be inefficient compared to the Annie, due to less density in the pads, allowing less sound to reach your ears.

The K702 (all of them), and the 990s need some good amps to bring the best out of them. The other two don't require much, and adding power is more for eeking out the last bit of performance and smoothening out the rough edges, not a pure requirement. A portable amp would work well with both X1 and MA900.

Your choice comes down to whether you want more bass, or more balance. I've mentioned how each sounds in the review, so I won't repeat myself.

Wow, that completely changes plans.

The non-amp-essential headsets are not available in Turkey -I have get them over e-bay etc.

I love bass and I also would like to be able to distinguish surround details in games. While being incredibly light-weight, this, on the other hand, pops as an indurability issue for Sony MDR-MA900, I guess?

By the way, from what I've seen, X1's do not allow their pads to be replaced, how about MA900's in that regard?

Thank you.

Nov 8, 2013 at 4:59 AM Post #17,784 of 48,563

Wow, that completely changes plans.

The non-amp-essential headsets are not available in Turkey -I have get them over e-bay etc.

I love bass and I also would like to be able to distinguish surround details in games. While being incredibly light-weight, this, on the other hand, pops as an indurability issue for Sony MDR-MA900, I guess?

By the way, from what I've seen, X1's do not allow their pads to be replaced, how about MA900's in that regard?

Thank you.

M900 pads can be replaced; which has me thinking how the 1540 pads would alter their sound...

Nov 8, 2013 at 6:04 AM Post #17,785 of 48,563
@Change is Good

Could you please do a comparison among Shure SRH 1540, Mad Dog 3.2 and the Sony MA900 please. I want to buy a new headphone to replace my HD598 and I am confused of choosing which can. I would like to add an Alpha Dog in consideration too but the long list 6 weeks and few more weeks of waiting to ship to my country really turn me down, additionally Alpha Dogs require poweful ampss but I only have a C421 and do not want to upgrade my amp yet, moreover I want to stay as portable as possible because I work, sleep, listen to music in every place in my house.

Thanks.

Nov 8, 2013 at 9:08 AM Post #17,786 of 48,563
I'm currently building a PC (using some Black Friday deals and building a monster for ~$1500). I'm also in the process of grabbing a pair of AKG K712 Pros for myself as an end of the year gift to accompany the PC build. However, I'm looking for a solid amp/soundcard combo (other combos welcome) to give the 712s their full potential. I've heard a couple different ideas, but wanted to look for more. I'd like to keep whatever set up I get below $450, but I'm flexible depending on the quality/price within different options.

Nov 8, 2013 at 9:25 AM Post #17,787 of 48,563
Hi I'm a new member

I am not really an audiophile but I want to buy a good pair of headphones or speakers more of an all around purpose + playing games. Aesthetics is very important factor for me when buying. Current options that have really caught my attention respectively are the following beryedynamic dt 990, akg k712, and audioengine a5+. Beryedynamic dt 990 people around you can hear some sounds and you can also hear sounds coming from them base on the reviews that's quite bothering for me. Akg k712 I haven't seen a video review but is it similar to the beryedynamic?For amps how do you choose or know that it is suitable?

Nov 8, 2013 at 10:14 AM Post #17,788 of 48,563
  What amp did you use/recommend for the Q701's and what mix amp did you use/recommend? I need to use voice chat often when I play.

I play xbox 360/ps3 (soon to bee the new console) with a set of Q701s directly from my astro mixamp pro but I find the sound is lacking in power. In all my research I kinda missed the point that the Q701s needed an amp to get everything out of them. I now run them threw my yamaha receiver with their "silent cinema" headphone technology. Its great for movies but know i'm losing positional audio for gaming. Tried this with and without the mix amp and same thing. I get more power and sound quality from my Q701s but lose positional audio. Should I just give up and get some ad700/ad700x's or maybe the MA900's? I really do love my AKG's and want to make them work with my setup. 

Surely you can run it like: mixamp > reciever (analog inputs) > Q701. 

Just use your receiver to double amp the mixamp for the headphones.

Nov 8, 2013 at 10:21 AM Post #17,789 of 48,563
 Beryedynamic dt 990 people around you can hear some sounds and you can also hear sounds coming from them base on the reviews that's quite bothering for me. Akg k712 I haven't seen a video review but is it similar to the beryedynamic?

Yes, K712s do this too.

All open headphones leak sound and have poor isolation.  That's why they're open.

Nov 8, 2013 at 11:53 AM Post #17,790 of 48,563
So... the reason I'm dropping out of the headphone game is because I'm gonna be paying for something for the next 2 years..., something I use a LOT more than headphones...

(image taken off google)

One of the very last two TOTL Panasonic plasmas HDTVs (they're no longer making any more plasmas after next month). The 60VT60.

I have been TV-less for a few months now, and while I wasn't ready to buy a TV just yet, I had no choice, since LED TVs are utterly inferior to plasmas, and with Panasonic's departure... only Samsung and LG are left, which are rumored to cease plasma production next year. I had to buy the last great Plasma before it went the way of the CRT.

Bestbuy has 2 years no interest, so I can take my sweet time paying it off...

With my shift towards that, I will probably only support the TV with a set of speakers or a soundbar in the later future, since I haven't been using my headphones lately, instead just using the built in TV speakers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back