Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Oct 25, 2013 at 7:07 AM Post #17,611 of 48,566
IIRC those are closed and ultra-bassy.

Oct 25, 2013 at 7:55 AM Post #17,612 of 48,566
  How much do you guys think Asus could charge for a xbox/ps3 compatible St or Stx mixamp? I personally would pay a premium, but I dont know that many others would. Especially considering the horrible sound most games come with. 

Looking at how much they are charging for a Essence STU (which is basically just an external ST/STX), not looking good if they make a console "mixamp".

Expecting around $300 if they make one, which is why FiiO would be better at making a device like this instead. However, I don't know if FiiO is large enough to cater to the market if their "mixamp" picks off, since the company is still really small even by China's standards.

DH and DTS Headphone X in one FiiO device would be a dream come true, something I'm sure most people here would pay $200 for as a sweet spot.

Oct 25, 2013 at 8:40 AM Post #17,613 of 48,566
For the DX mic, there seem to be two separate versions:
- http://dx.com/p/mini-clip-on-microphone-7080
- http://dx.com/p/mini-clip-on-microphone-3-5mm-jack-180cm-cable-42965

I see no difference between these two mics though the latter one costs a dollar more and got released three years after the first one. With that in mind, I presume the latter one is an "improved" version but I'm not quite sure.

I also found this one (different version) which looks exactly like the DX mic except it has a braided cable.

Which one am I suppose to get?

Oct 25, 2013 at 11:40 AM Post #17,614 of 48,566

That depends on a number of factors.

-What's the quality of the device? I don't expect something that amounts to an external Xonar DG to cost nearly as much as the existing Xonar Essence USB products.
-Does it still work as a PC audio device with at least basic DS3D/OpenAL support, like the Recon3D USB?
-Will it support next-gen and current-gen consoles alike, especially with Microsoft continuing their usual proprietary crap with Xbox One?
-Will it have an HDMI passthrough for audio input? (Seriously, we need something with HDMI input that isn't a bulky AVR or the expensive Smyth Realiser, particularly for Wii U owners.)

Then again, I'm thinking "should charge", not "could charge". Looking at existing gaming headsets, they may be able to get away with $200 or even $300 for a while, but if the quality isn't up-to-snuff, the negative reviews will shoot it down quick.

This is pretty fair I think. Have they announced the price for the new STU? If you would take that unit and add dolby headphone/DTS with chat capabilities, and you would have a winner.

Oct 25, 2013 at 11:47 AM Post #17,615 of 48,566
hmm I'll probably stick with the sennheisers and their  famous velour pads :p But thanks for help help mate, I was pretty confused.

Id love to take your opinion (and everyone else here) on the V-MODA Crossfade LP, its on 100$ on amazon and there is a huge amount of positive reviews on it.

I had an LP, not bad actually for a closed can, but the treble doesn't extend very well and it doesn't do virtual surround as well as the M-100 (which obviously cost more). It was kinda fun for a colored music headphone, but it's not a gaming headphone for competitive use. Look for my 2 part (3 part) review on YouTube, same username.

Oct 25, 2013 at 12:54 PM Post #17,616 of 48,566
ya I thought so, they are definitely not for gaming, I guess i'll stick to HD558, bigger soundstage and higher quality over all, btw I have Asus Xonar DS 7.1, manily for my speakers, but will it help emit virtual surround for the headphones ?  its not really a big concern tho. 

Oct 25, 2013 at 2:13 PM Post #17,617 of 48,566
Yeah I think it should. I was fairly impressed with the HD558 when I demo'd it at Best Buy, there aren't any faults to what it does. You may appreciate putting a cheap FiiO E5 amp between your headphones and the headphone jack, to prevent any sound quality issues from the soundcard's output impedance.

Did you see my video?

Oct 25, 2013 at 8:41 PM Post #17,618 of 48,566

Looking at how much they are charging for a Essence STU (which is basically just an external ST/STX), not looking good if they make a console "mixamp".

Expecting around $300 if they make one, which is why FiiO would be better at making a device like this instead. However, I don't know if FiiO is large enough to cater to the market if their "mixamp" picks off, since the company is still really small even by China's standards.

DH and DTS Headphone X in one FiiO device would be a dream come true, something I'm sure most people here would pay $200 for as a sweet spot.

I would jerk their arm out of their sockets @ 200 bucks. 

That is the fear I would guess, they are afraid of pricing themselves out of the market. 

Oct 25, 2013 at 10:13 PM Post #17,619 of 48,566
Sound recording for Battlefield 4

http://blogs.battlefield.com/2013/10/road-to-bf4-sounds-of-the-battlefield/

Hmm, I wonder if in game audio will be any diff/better than bf3 tho... Really must try the demo. The positional cues were whack in bf3, terrible. Bc2 was better as a competitive game in that respect IMO..

Oct 26, 2013 at 1:28 AM Post #17,620 of 48,566
A DH/DTS headphone device would be amazing.

I'm always wanting to watch movies with my headphones but they are all DTS sound and won't work with the Astro Mixamp.

Are there any good DTS headphone devices on the market right now?

Oct 26, 2013 at 1:56 AM Post #17,621 of 48,566
I'm always wanting to watch movies with my headphones but they are all DTS sound and won't work with the Astro Mixamp.

Not sure about what is out right now, But I'm guessing there will be more DTS headphone surround sound devices in the future.

Oct 26, 2013 at 3:48 AM Post #17,622 of 48,566

There was one... But it was pretty rare, and discontinued now. Mad figured out how to get a DTS signal changed to Dolby using a PS3, I think it's in his page 1 guide and may be worth your time looking for :)

Oct 26, 2013 at 9:03 AM Post #17,623 of 48,566
Yeah I think it should. I was fairly impressed with the HD558 when I demo'd it at Best Buy, there aren't any faults to what it does. You may appreciate putting a cheap FiiO E5 amp between your headphones and the headphone jack, to prevent any sound quality issues from the soundcard's output impedance.

Did you see my video?

yes sir, but it made things difficult for me to decide :D

Oct 26, 2013 at 11:28 AM Post #17,624 of 48,566
Hmm, I wonder if in game audio will be any diff/better than bf3 tho... Really must try the demo. The positional cues were whack in bf3, terrible. Bc2 was better as a competitive game in that respect IMO..

Yet my experience is the exact opposite...BF:BC2 had nonexistent positional cues, utterly terrible mixing. It was a complete insult given what you can get from BF1942 through BF2142.

I thought BF3 was gonna suck as well, just by being based on Frostbite, 'til I got a $5 copy and found that the audio actually has a sense of directionality now, like it should have had all along. Enhanced Stereo Mode also works surprisingly well for those who don't already have a sound card with virtual surround tech of any sort.

Oct 26, 2013 at 11:37 AM Post #17,625 of 48,566
Yet my experience is the exact opposite...BF:BC2 had nonexistent positional cues, utterly terrible mixing. It was a complete insult given what you can get from BF1942 through BF2142.

I thought BF3 was gonna suck as well, just by being based on Frostbite, 'til I got a $5 copy and found that the audio actually has a sense of directionality now, like it should have had all along. Enhanced Stereo Mode also works surprisingly well for those who don't already have a sound card with virtual surround tech of any sort.

The sound recording work on BF4 has resulted in incredibly realistic and immersive game sounds. They are absolutely superior to BF3. However, I feel like directionality/positioning is basically the same as BF3 (although footsteps are more pronounced in Bf4). I think it's very good in both games. I don't remember how good positioning was in BC2, it's been a while.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back