Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Oct 14, 2013 at 8:57 PM Post #17,311 of 48,566
avr is most likely audio/video receiver, like a home theater receiver. think Denon, Yamaha, Marantz home theater receivers that do surround sound.

Oct 15, 2013 at 4:13 AM Post #17,312 of 48,566
I think MLE should try and review some Fostex TH600s for gaming :wink:

I got them a couple weeks ago and they are amazing, and as most people say they're upgraded d7000s and 90% of th900 sound for half the price I think you'd dig em.

So comfy too, super light (lighter than th900) can wear em for hours and not even notice them being there. The soundstage is amazing, better than a lot of open cans I've heard, and great positioning for gaming. Been playing Gta5 and loving it; straight out of the Audio engine d1, even half pot is almost ear bleedingly loud.

I'm wondering if anyone has tried th600 with an Astro mixamp as I'm curious about this Dolby headphone business. I'd probably run it into an E17 if need be. Tbh I dont really see the need for Dolby hp tho it the D1 staging with these cans works so well for me as-is. Would positional accuracy really be that much better?

I guess the mic mixing is a big bonus though, trying to work out what mic to get too for ps3/ps4 if any.. USB mic that I use on PC might do the job..

Anyway I need to try the th600 out with some PC fps now.. I wonder if BF4 will have better audio than BF3's horrible in game audio muddled positioning, might try the demo..

Oct 15, 2013 at 4:50 AM Post #17,314 of 48,566
Btw on the front page, there will be a new planar magnetic cans from OPPO. Its also chinese like Hifiman.
I wonder how will they sound and perform on gaming compared to Hifiman.
However, Oppo in China is mainly making mobile phones. Audio compared to Hifiman, Oppo is less known. However they do have MP3 player.

Oct 15, 2013 at 10:21 AM Post #17,315 of 48,566
A planar from Fostex is coming as well. 

Oct 15, 2013 at 10:22 AM Post #17,316 of 48,566
Supposedly the planar from Fostex is using the same drivers as the T50RP. Probably an effort to nab some sales from MrSpeakers...

Oct 15, 2013 at 10:34 AM Post #17,317 of 48,566
Who's the source? 

Oct 15, 2013 at 10:35 AM Post #17,318 of 48,566
It's been mentioned various times on the Alpha Dog thread, IIRC.

Oct 15, 2013 at 10:49 AM Post #17,319 of 48,566
Well, let's wait for Fostex to give more details. Too much hype right now with the AD that gets into peoples heads, though I wish and want Dan to have the best success. 

I think MLE should try and review some Fostex TH600s for gaming 
wink.gif

I got them a couple weeks ago and they are amazing, and as most people say they're upgraded d7000s and 90% of th900 sound for half the price I think you'd dig em.

So comfy too, super light (lighter than th900) can wear em for hours and not even notice them being there. The soundstage is amazing, better than a lot of open cans I've heard, and great positioning for gaming. Been playing Gta5 and loving it; straight out of the Audio engine d1, even half pot is almost ear bleedingly loud.

I'm wondering if anyone has tried th600 with an Astro mixamp as I'm curious about this Dolby headphone business. I'd probably run it into an E17 if need be. Tbh I dont really see the need for Dolby hp tho it the D1 staging with these cans works so well for me as-is. Would positional accuracy really be that much better?

I guess the mic mixing is a big bonus though, trying to work out what mic to get too for ps3/ps4 if any.. USB mic that I use on PC might do the job..

Anyway I need to try the th600 out with some PC fps now.. I wonder if BF4 will have better audio than BF3's horrible in game audio muddled positioning, might try the demo..

If the TH-600 is anywhere near the TH-900 then it gets my definite recommendation for gaming. I actually rate the TH-900 right now as the best headphone you can get for both worlds. While the HD 800 is technically a feat it's less exciting for music and can only best the Fostex in pure multiplayer, and that's nitpicking the Fostex at a very high level.

I am in love with this headphone. Yesterday I finished MoH: WF. While mediocre the sound quality is better than most games and with the new gen the future can only be brighter. It was very entertaining and helped me enjoy the game despite it's many shortcomings.

Oct 15, 2013 at 6:01 PM Post #17,320 of 48,566
Having a hard time finding comparisons. Anyone have an opinion on the A2000X? And can anyone compare it to some of my favorites? The AD2000X, W5000, and AD2000. Thanks!

Oct 15, 2013 at 8:18 PM Post #17,322 of 48,566
Incredible OP. Ty so much for this.

I'd been using a40's for years until my new cat chewed the cord. Mine are old enough that they don't make the replacement anymore. I ordered a used cord off ebay but in the meantime I've been using my sony mdr cd2000 headphones. They are old, slightly beat up and less comfortable for extended sessions but wow they sound so much nicer than the Astros. So now I'm thinking it's time to upgrade.

I have narrowed down my headphone choices with great help from this thread. The only thing I could use a bit of advice on is the mic. I am a pc gamer so I have a few more options than console gamers. I would like to hear the op's thoughts on the BoomPro mic though. I like the idea of less cords and the boompro would combine the mic and headphones once again like my original a40 setup. If mle or anyone else has thoughts on beam forming mics or desktop cardioid mics like the Blue Yeti, I'd like to hear that too.

edit: edited sony headphone model

Oct 15, 2013 at 8:22 PM Post #17,323 of 48,566
  How gory is Attack on Titan?

its not too bad in my opinion, they dont try to over-do it. that being said people are getting eaten so....

Oct 15, 2013 at 8:43 PM Post #17,324 of 48,566
Incredible OP. Ty so much for this.

I'd been using a40's for years until my new cat chewed the cord. Mine are old enough that they don't make the replacement anymore. I ordered a used cord off ebay but in the meantime I've been using my sony cdma2000 headphones. They are old, slightly beat up and less comfortable for extended sessions but wow they sound so much nicer than the Astros. So now I'm thinking it's time to upgrade.

I have narrowed down my headphone choices with great help from this thread. The only thing I could use a bit of advice on is the mic. I am a pc gamer so I have a few more options than console gamers. I would like to hear the op's thoughts on the BoomPro mic though. I like the idea of less cords and the boompro would combine the mic and headphones once again like my original a40 setup. If mle or anyone else has thoughts on beam forming mics or desktop cardioid mics like the Blue Yeti, I'd like to hear that too.

I think Axel is the only one in the thread who has the BoomPro. I may be mistaken, though...

Oct 15, 2013 at 9:18 PM Post #17,325 of 48,566
  I think Axel is the only one in the thread who has the BoomPro. I may be mistaken, though...

I may very well be. I've been using the BoomPro as my only gaming microphone for a bit now and I absolutely love it. Build quality is excellent, sound capturing is wonderful and it's easily managed. Using it with efficient headphones I can run it directly off my Macbook or my Recon3D USB. Or I can add in my amp to get more power for my Mad Dogs. The main beef is the in-line control as I feel it's mostly useless for me and a bit clunky on an otherwise elegant piece of tech.

Using a Blue Yeti and the like for gaming is a bit tedious to setup, but can yield impressive results. I've used a Blue Yeti Pro for gaming. Why? Because I could. It was powered by a Scarlett Focusrite 2i2 then fed into my Macbook for gaming a few times. I used a desktop double armed mic stand with a shock mount to prevent any vibrations getting into the mic while I played. I used that setup for 4 gaming sessions. Sound quality was second to none for those with me in the games. Using a normal Yeti you'd still need the stand and shock mount for proper pickup, but you could go USB in to the computer. However in my opinion it's not worth the work or cost of setting up such a configuration with gaming as the intended use and I feel most would be better off with a more simple setup for gaming. I've never used a beam forming microphone in a gaming setup.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back