Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Sep 13, 2013 at 3:59 PM Post #16,756 of 48,562
well it Arrived just as I was leaving for worK, which didn't Give me time to open it, but it should be something expensive but also something to look forward to tonight ^_^

popcorn.gif

Sep 13, 2013 at 4:47 PM Post #16,758 of 48,562
  Probably the best thing I can say about turtle beach headsets is the mic is quite sensitive, and you can balance chat/game volume, but otherwise there are easily better headphones.

While I wasn't a fan of the sound quality on the TB headset I used before there was one feature that really stuck out to me, and I've been trying to replicate it since. The headset had a feature to live monitor the microphone. To me that feature was excellent for 2 reasons. For one I could monitor my speaking volume because it was a closed headset. But, more importantly, it also allowed me to get rid of that closed headset in-head sound; the same kind you can hear by sticking your fingers in your ears while you speak. I've never been fond of that effect to any degree. I really wish the Recon3D USB had passthrough or monitoring for the mic line-in. That'd just be perfect for me. So I mainly play games with an open headset whenever I need a mic. The exception being the M-80/BoomPro combo. There's a program simply called LineIn for Mac, but since it's software driven there's a delay as soon as you begin using it, and that delay increases to more than a second with any use over about 30 minutes.

So as much as I may dismiss TB headsets for their sound quality, I quite liked their mic monitor feature.

Sep 13, 2013 at 7:08 PM Post #16,759 of 48,562
AxelCloris,
oooh, now I remember that feature. Yeah, it actually weirded me out, but I didn't spend enough time to get used to it. I think it's entirely reasonable to have mic monitoring as an option (you sure there isn't one inside the Creative drivers? at least when run on a PC?), though I also noticed that on my friend's older TB sometimes I could hear HIS game audio through chat (tho I assumed it was because the mic was too sensitive, his was waaaay louder than everyone else on my friend's list, except other TB players, I wish mine was louder but not as loud as his).

Two more hours...

Sep 13, 2013 at 7:30 PM Post #16,760 of 48,562
I haven't come across one in the Creative Trustudio settings on OS X. There's the mic monitoring native to Windows as well that I've tried using, but there's still enough latency to annoy me, so I don't use it. I've contemplated somehow running audio through my Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 but that just seems like an overly complicated idea. But that does live monitoring through hardware. It's wonderful when recording on a true studio mic.

Sep 14, 2013 at 8:42 AM Post #16,761 of 48,562
Gonna buy a pair of barely used Fidelio X1s from another user here at Head-Fi. Only $215 compared to the retail price of $350. Can pick-them up tomorrow so I'm pretty excited! 
dt880smile.png

Really glad I signed up for this place!

Also ordered one of those DX clip-on mics.
Now all I need is a soundcard and/or mixamp and I should be all set!

Evshrug,
I looked through your journal, good reading, taught me quite alot!

Sep 14, 2013 at 11:23 AM Post #16,763 of 48,562
Currently drooling over the Fostex TH-900's. Man those are a nice looking pair of headphones.

They would probably be heavenly for the music I listen to and for some gaming as well.

Sep 14, 2013 at 12:44 PM Post #16,764 of 48,562
Gonna buy a pair of barely used Fidelio X1s from another user here at Head-Fi. Only $215 compared to the retail price of $350. Can pick-them up tomorrow so I'm pretty excited! :dt880smile:

Really glad I signed up for this place!

Woot woot!

Also ordered one of those DX clip-on mics.

Now all I need is a soundcard and/or mixamp and I should be all set!

Evshrug,

I looked through your journal, good reading, taught me quite alot!

Wooooooooot ^____^

Sep 14, 2013 at 2:30 PM Post #16,765 of 48,562
Come on, what did you receive?????

popcorn.gif

Sep 14, 2013 at 2:37 PM Post #16,766 of 48,562
Welllll, a package did arrive, but I didn't have time to open it before work, and then I was almost falling asleep in the car on my home from work, and I had to work early today so........ I haven't even opened the shipping package yet. BUT! Today! Around 7 PM! I shall reveal!

Uh, the package. I mean shipment. Not taking my clothes off or anything.

Sep 14, 2013 at 2:45 PM Post #16,767 of 48,562
popcorn.gif
 I am in Europe; so take your time....

Sep 14, 2013 at 5:31 PM Post #16,769 of 48,562
My dt990s are 220 aud still won't sell
frown.gif

What are others in your area selling the DT990 for? And also, there just may not have been someone looking for that headphone yet. If you have the listing up for two weeks without selling, close the listing for a while and then try again near the end of October. Make sure you keep it clean, and take nice looking photos that show off how well you took care of them.

Sep 14, 2013 at 6:41 PM Post #16,770 of 48,562
Thank you for this awesome guide! Have you tested any of the new gaming headsets made by Logitech? The G230 and G430? They are supposedly good, with satisfying quality for music listening as well as gaming. I would really appreciate if you or anyone who has tested these could comment upon the performance :) I am leaning towards the Slyr as my headset for my laptop, but how well does it perform without a dedicated soundcard or an amp? I want the experience to be as hassle free as possible when I game on my laptop, with as few wires as possible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back